A REAL SQUARE ENIX TITLE!

A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: A REAL SQUARE ENIX TITLE!

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 am

To this day i still don't know what kingdom hearts is or why mickey is never around.
The first thing i thought of when playing CoM was "what the fuck is this, gay-ass crackfiction made by a 12 year old girl on deviantart?" and i think my mindset hasn't changed much, many of the stories plot seem straight out of a fanfic.

I watched a dude play KH2 the other day, i liked that your costumes changed according the area you visited. Steamboat willy area was probably my favorite.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:05 am

It was fun seeing Goofy and Donald how they were in the olden days in digitally animated splendor.

As for the fanfic moment, I got that feeling from 358/2 Days hard and loud.

But to be honest, if I stand back a bit and look at it all as a whole I'm okay with how it's convoluted. I get wrapped up in the details to enjoy the series sometimes.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Panty Anarchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 am

Just, one thing to add on top of the gif.

If they add anything relating to Marvel or Lucasfilms I swear to GOD that I am giving up on Squenix forever.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Slutty Angel

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:16 am

I doubt that they would. It's something for the fans to make jokes about, but I think they have a little more sense than to use something that could cause backlash. Disney has a head on their shoulders to not make that sort of drama that I can recall. If they did use something, it would probably be a Pixar movie world, something that's been a part of Disney for some time and that people would recognize from them to capitalize on the nostalgia that is, well, "Disney". I recall that there was data for a Buzz and/or Woody summon that never was realized and stayed in KH2's code.
An Optimist

Postby Hiryu » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 am

Mir@k wrote:The first thing i thought of when playing CoM was "what the fuck is this, gay-ass crackfiction made by a 12 year old girl on deviantart?" and i think my mindset hasn't changed much, many of the stories plot seem straight out of a fanfic.
This is so accurate it hurts.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:50 am

They already used pirates of the caribbean in kh2 out of the film's raw popularity, i wouldn't be surprised if they exploited their other goods as much as the former.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:25 am

But Pirates was an actual Disney film, not something they acquired. Besides, all of the worlds have most likely been decided on already with maybe one or two still undecided. Either late next year or early 2015 we'll be seeing the fruits of our patients.

Ever since DDD, I've been kind of hoping to see a TWEWY world since the cast from it invited Sora to visit if he had the chance. Despite being guests in the series they seem to have established they have their own world as a possibility. Two other worlds I'd be interested to see would be Wreck-It-Ralf's (taking a step forward from Tron to involve some more colourful inner workings of electronics) and Princess and the Frog's (mainly because the Shadow Man feels like he'd make for a wonderful boss).
An Optimist

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:28 am

It would be a joy to listen to Keith David doing Facilier again.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:32 am

We already got Tron.

Tron.

This wasn't done haphazardly, Tron's world was a key staple in two of the Kingdom Hearts Games.

What if, and bear with me here- what if KH actually DID use a Starwars World but- and I said bear with me- It was actually GOOD?! Actually well done? Compliments the story well, does not bastardize the source material, utilizes movies' charms for things that wouldn't be possible in other worlds.

Eh?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 am

I figure this is more Disney's decision than Square's. As far as I figure, they're effectively lending them their IPs, and they decide which ones they get to play with. They won't give any away where the brand is too valuable for them risk the game cheapening it. I figure that's the case with both Star Wars and Marvel.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Panty Anarchy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:05 pm

Birdofterror wrote:We already got Tron.

Tron.

This wasn't done haphazardly, Tron's world was a key staple in two of the Kingdom Hearts Games.

What if, and bear with me here- what if KH actually DID use a Starwars World but- and I said bear with me- It was actually GOOD?! Actually well done? Compliments the story well, does not bastardize the source material, utilizes movies' charms for things that wouldn't be possible in other worlds.

Eh?

Whether it's good or not is irrelevant. Kingdom Hearts is already completely drowned in the story and canon of so many other franchises that adding more to it would just completely tip the balance. Might as well be a full-on Disney game and nix any Final Fantasy influences at all, which is basically what they've done as of late. I mean, they have characters from the FF games but none of the interesting worlds or story or anything. Star Wars and Indiana Jones and any Marvel universes have enough going on without an alternate KH universe and, really, it's about the integrity of gaming in general. Kingdom Hearts only became the big franchise that it is because it hit the demographic of Disney fans AS WELL as the demographic of Final Fantasy fans, and if they added more, it'd just be pandering.
Slutty Angel

Postby Birdofterror » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:59 pm

Would it be pandering, or would it be good marketing?

I'm all up for a little fanservice if it's fun. I'm shallow like that.

Plus Darth Ansem. I mean, come on.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby MERASMUS! » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:44 pm

A sith lord. In kingdom hearts. A game I never really played.
Never anger a magician

Postby Saint Soul » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:51 pm

As a starwars fan I would like the two to never comr together.

- thank you
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Sable » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm conflicted about this whole thing. While I admit that the necessity of added worlds from Marvel and Star Wars seems very little seeing as they already have a ton of worlds to work with already, after seeing Square Enix make the Tron and PotC worlds in KH2 and make them seem not out of place makes me feel like if they were to add a Star Wars world (not so much Marvel) that it would probably fit in fine.

My problem isn't so much with the origins of the worlds, but just the design of them in general. I hated Kingdom hearts 2, not just for how convoluted the story became after that point but how short and linear the levels felt. You basically just fought room after room of baddies til you beat the level. Kingdom Hearts 1 had more of an exploration element to it.

Another thing Kingdom hearts 1 did better then two was the feeling of connectivity between worlds. This feeling was lost in Kingdom hearts 2 when they made each world as short and irrelevant to the overall plot as the next.
RacialslurX2

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:55 am

I agree with the meeting of the Princess of Heart and them being kidnapped did give those worlds you were going through some linking factor. Even the ones that didn't have a princess, you got something that connected to the bigger picture, often being the villains that were gathered together to stop Sora from progressing. With 2, you had Organization XIII filling in for that role, but it wasn't as consistent. And there was a lot of wonder to it all, you feeling just as awed at this new experience seeing these old worlds you know of explorable that are new to Sora in 1. I did feel the worlds got bigger, but having to come back to the Disney-inspired worlds for a second story instead of things being done in one swoop broke up a little bit of the flow and impact of them.

Also, there is something interesting I remember from 358/2 Days that stuck me as interesting. Most of your missions were to go out and defeat Heartless and collect their hearts or destroy orbs that would create Heartless that did not bear hearts. So... wouldn't that mean that throughout the game Organization XIII was doing something helpful for all the worlds they visited most of the time?
An Optimist

Postby Sable » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:56 pm

Mr. Sefrol wrote:Also, there is something interesting I remember from 358/2 Days that stuck me as interesting. Most of your missions were to go out and defeat Heartless and collect their hearts or destroy orbs that would create Heartless that did not bear hearts. So... wouldn't that mean that throughout the game Organization XIII was doing something helpful for all the worlds they visited most of the time?

They were trying to create a Kingdom Hearts made from the "hearts of men", meaning the hearts taken over by darkess. While most of the Org.XIII did it because they were told they would get back their hearts from it, Xehanort did it to absorb it's power. So I guess it's a bit of both.
RacialslurX2

Postby Panty Anarchy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:26 pm

God these games have some of the stupidest fucking names for characters.
Slutty Angel

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:51 am

I never had issues with the names except for a couple of the original names of some of the Organization.

There is one piece of information I've been wanting to know of for a long while. When all of Org XIII became human again, what happened to Larxene, Demyx and Marluxia? Where did they reappear?
An Optimist

Postby Mir@k » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:08 am

Larxene, Demyx and Marluxia

Haha yeah i can see what warbear is saying now.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Panty Anarchy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:54 am

"Okay so these names don't really have enough pizzazz, what can we do to fix that?" "PUT AN X IN EVERY SINGLE FUCKING NAME. THAT'LL SOLVE EVERYTHING." "...give this man a raise."
Slutty Angel

Postby Mir@k » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:01 am

Original Characters Do Not Steal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:29 am

It did serve a purpose in it's own way after some things are explained in BBS, but sadly the internet has already been doing this for ages. I discovered the wonders of the internet back when CoM came out, so the internet didn't effect my opinion.
An Optimist

Postby Mir@k » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:35 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:It did serve a purpose in it's own way after some things are explained in BBS
What, this?
The Organization XIII characters concept began with Xemnas as the first member and Roxas as the last. Each member's name is an anagram of their name prior to becoming a Nobody, with the letter "X" added to it.(...)In Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, it is revealed that the "X" that is added to their names is derived from the concept of the χ-blade, an extremely powerful Keyblade that has the ability to directly unlock Kingdom Hearts.
I've read 14-year old fanfictions on Deviantart that are a lot less stagnant. Listen i don't want to bash something you like just like that but honestly shit writing is shit. Anyone remember how clever people thought they were when they named Dracula's kid "Alucard"? This reason behind their naming reminds me of something similar.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:38 am

Or xtreme marketing.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens