The modern adventure

A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The modern adventure

Postby Bandit » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Forgive me if I start sounding too philosophical. I've always mused at how our modern world has become a mundane culture of routines and normality.
Rare is the chance for something extraordinary. Surely, though, there must be something that could still qualify as an adventure.
What do you think? What would you consider a modern adventure?

Re: The modern adventure

Postby Tuor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:25 pm

It's up to the person, really.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Brax4 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm gonna' do what I've done the past few days and agree with Tuor.

There's plenty of adventures in modern society. Adventures of the mind, adventures to a location, taking a trip. Anything can be an adventure, even just a simple trip to the fridge could be an adventure in the right mindset.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Tuor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:37 pm

Brax4 wrote:Anything can be an adventure, even just a simple trip to the fridge could be an adventure in the right mindset.

Bingo!
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby EagleMan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:25 pm

Adventure is basically a narrative concept... if you're talking about the "adventures" of the past they're either mythological (stories like any other) or highly glamorized.

If anything, for the average person, an adventure of any sort is much more realizable than ever before. For the past you're basically hearing about the .01% going on grand trips and vacations, not the incredible mass of peasants who probably never even travel 50 miles from where they were born for their entire lives.

People, by capita and by sheer numerical value, have more adventures than ever before in human history.

Postby Exodis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Brax4 wrote:Anything can be an adventure, even just a simple trip to the fridge could be an adventure in the right mindset.

My fellow allies, I'm off to the object of chilling climates to find the wonderful delights of dairy milk. If I don't come back, then start the film without me as I will take another great adventure to the building of magnificent products known as "the grocery store". Till we meet again, I bid you adieu.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Savior

Postby Tuor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:37 pm

Fare thee well, Randori, and God's speed!
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby The.Time.Lord » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 am

If you want adventure, you best keep your eyes and your thumb up. Oh, and bring a towel.
What?
Time is a relative

Postby The Mad Doctor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:38 am

I do what other people don't: eat a salad at Mc Donalds and use only half the salad dressing, then throw it out.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby Exodis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:10 am

That's not adventurous. That's dieting.

Hail to the Savior

Postby The Mad Doctor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:42 am

Its unique compared to most things people eat there. Hummanity is doom to be confined to mobile chairs.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Want a life threatening adventure full of drama, excitement, and epic tales to be told of?

Come dirt biking with me. I have the weirdest shit happen to me everytime I go.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Is that a challenge?

Hail to the Savior

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:01 pm

Bandit wrote:Forgive me if I start sounding too philosophical. I've always mused at how our modern world has become a mundane culture of routines and normality.
Rare is the chance for something extraordinary. Surely, though, there must be something that could still qualify as an adventure.
What do you think? What would you consider a modern adventure?

Wake up. Head to work. Work. Head Home. Dinner. Sleep. Repeat...

I don't have an adventure in mind that could break this cycle here yet, but if you ask me, surfing and scuba diving sounds very nice. And I've done neither of those. I just read an article a few seconds ago on seeking adventure and it was very interesting.
This too shall pass.

Postby The.Time.Lord » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:23 pm

WAKE UP SHEEPLE
What?
Time is a relative

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Randori wrote:Is that a challenge?

ya bro
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:12 pm

Oh how I would love to accept thy challenge...
but I can't ride a dirt-bike. Boo...

Hail to the Savior

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:25 pm

I have a Polaris Rzr,and four wheelers. Same result. Well, technically my grandparents own the Razor and its at their winter home in Beaver Dam Arizona.

Which is like three hours from Vegas...
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Exodis » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:44 pm

That's pretty awesome, dude.

Hail to the Savior

Postby Vegedus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:59 am

Ah, the modern world. So repetitive! Just some 200 years ago, you could work for 12 hours a day in a dangerous factory, every day of the week for wages that would just keep you from starving! So adventurous! Or before that in, in the middle ages, you could spend your whole life farming, until your body broke down in an age of thirty! No routines here! Or before that, in a hunter-gatherer society, where you got to hunt dangerous animals... And then die from any infected wound or broken bone! Life was so much more adventurous without modern medicine!
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Icha » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Actually, people didn't just magically break down at 30. Life expectancy is always low in figures of the past or in 3rd world countries because dead babies really bring the average down. Also, those serf guys got way more vacation/holiday days than the modern worker.

In a hunter gatherer society, you didn't have the luxury of being bored, because you were always looking out for food.

An adventure, to me, is just something that's exciting/unusual, it doesn't necessarily have to be dangerous (although it could add to it). The problem just seems to be the mindset we've all got. How can you have an adventure if you're always doing the same thing all the time? There's still things to be explored, at least on a personal level.
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Tuor » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:14 pm

Icha wrote:In a hunter gatherer society, you didn't have the luxury of being bored, because you were always looking out for food.

Not true, actually
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mir@k » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:22 pm

if you get your facts out of age of empires you're gonna have a bad time haheha
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter

"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby EagleMan » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:43 pm

Hunter-Gatherers actually had a pretty light workweek. They certainly weren't averaging 40 hours a week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_ti ... r-gatherer

And this is work where you're fit and running around and getting to kill stuff to feed yourself, not staring at a computer with a boss you may hate.

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Which is why my point about hunter-gatherers was about dying early, not boredom.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Next

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens