I'm sick of playing the game man

A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

I'm sick of playing the game man

Postby darkshark » Mon May 06, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm barely about to finish my FRESHMAN YEAR in college, and I'm already sick of the same pointless classes, assignments, and bullshit we were promised we'd be freed from once we graduated high school. It's the same old shit, only this go-round, it's in subjects that I should actually be enjoying. Instead I still just feel like I'm drowning in things I don't care about and don't want to do. So when does that stop? Because if it doesn't, being alive is a raw fucking deal.

whatever i already bitched about this on tumblr i apparently needed another outlet
buh

Re: I'm sick of playing the game man

Postby Brax4 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Yeah, I had the same problem when I went to college, listen to this :

I took Intro to Graphic Design, because it was a mandatory class. This class required I buy a Macbook Pro, the Adobe Suite, among other smaller items. My first assignment, draw a square to exact specifications, no, not using the $300+ program, not even using a free Paint program, no, drawing it with a pencil, a ruler, and paper. She said some students from previous years had taken 3-4 hours to draw this square. She marked points off for the lines not being all the same thickness or shade of graphite. She also marked off for lines that went too far. I was pissed.

So, I feel and understand your pain, even if it's a bit different.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 pm

What is your major, DS?
All other bears are pretenders to the throne
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby darkshark » Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm

THEATREEEE

OR ACTING

depends on who you ask
buh

Postby EagleMan » Mon May 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Well I'm sure you've already heard enough about job prospects so

How much academic work do you really think can be had from that? You can study the history of theater, get into philosophy about it (e.g. method acting), and watch videos, but ultimately your best learning will come from actual performance.

However since you're first year you're probably having to take a bunch of Gen Ed classes. College only recently became a job factory - meaning people now view it as practically necessary for attaining middle class. But that only used to require a high school degree, and so college for many was more of a recreational activity you did because you wanted to learn for learning's sake. So the gen eds still reflect that where your mind is supposedly broadened, but they aren't really rigorous or fulfilling.

Once you get that stuff out of the way, classes should get harder but also more rewarding (provided you still like your major).

Postby darkshark » Mon May 06, 2013 11:10 pm

fuck everything about this system man

hours have gone by and i'm still mad
buh

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:16 pm

The problem with the college system is that it assumes that 18-22 year olds know what job they want to do for the next 40-50 years of their lives.

If you can stay with it you actually have a good shot as a theater actor in Chicago, Darksuck. Chicago isn't LA or NY where you'll become rich and famous, but there is a solid theater and comedy troupe scene that seems to have little pretense around it.
All other bears are pretenders to the throne
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby darkshark » Mon May 06, 2013 11:21 pm

i plan on sticking around, actually. i don't plan on being rich/famous, i just want to be able to sustain myself (and eventually a family, i suppose) through acting. And i did get really lucky cuz chicago is actually the best for straight-up theater (as opposed to musicals or on-camera stuff), and I'm not nearly a good enough singer to be on broadway or off, and i've never tried on camera.

but yes the point is i'm sick of gen eds and college i just want to start finding work but i have to get this stupid fucking degree first
buh

Postby Tuor » Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 pm

darkshark wrote:I'm barely about to finish my FRESHMAN YEAR in college, and I'm already sick of the same pointless classes, assignments, and bullshit we were promised we'd be freed from once we graduated high school. It's the same old shit, only this go-round, it's in subjects that I should actually be enjoying. Instead I still just feel like I'm drowning in things I don't care about and don't want to do. So when does that stop? Because if it doesn't, being alive is a raw fucking deal.

whatever i already bitched about this on tumblr i apparently needed another outlet

Upper level classes should be more interesting because it's less foundational stuff, although I never found the lower levels classes I took particularly boring either.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby darkshark » Mon May 06, 2013 11:26 pm

i'm hoping against hope this feeling will at least be less common as i progress

cuz i feel it pretty much nightly as it stands
buh

Postby Tuor » Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 pm

It's funny, I never really thought you needed a degree in acting or theatre to act in plays.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby darkshark » Mon May 06, 2013 11:35 pm

you DON'T but i'll be damned if it doesn't help to put "Degree in Acting from hurdurr universitee" on your resume when you're at an audition

and considering what kind of a field it is, every little bit helps
buh

Postby Tuor » Mon May 06, 2013 11:38 pm

All right
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby darkshark » Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 pm

k
buh

Postby Eggnog » Mon May 06, 2013 11:45 pm

When I read the name of this thread, I was expecting Samuel Jackson to appear... now I'm dissapointed.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Huevo
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon May 06, 2013 11:45 pm

but ya, having friends who have graduated from theatre school it's lotsa work
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby EagleMan » Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 am

Dark are you a good networker
because that's what it's going to be about for the most part

Use college as an opportunity to lay that foundation
It will be worth so much more than a line on your resume

Postby darkshark » Tue May 07, 2013 12:46 am

I'm quite the people person, yeah

people tend to remember me long after we've met

hell, at an audition for a school i was looking at, a woman interviewing me liked me so much that she gave me her contact information "in case [I] stayed around chicago and was looking for work"

she was a director, but she didn't even see my monologues, it was literally just off my interview

so i'll keep that in mind. everyone's a possible connection.
buh

Postby Glacial Expanse » Tue May 07, 2013 3:43 am

darkshark wrote:I'm barely about to finish my FRESHMAN YEAR in college, and I'm already sick of the same pointless classes, assignments, and bullshit we were promised we'd be freed from once we graduated high school. It's the same old shit, only this go-round, it's in subjects that I should actually be enjoying. Instead I still just feel like I'm drowning in things I don't care about and don't want to do. So when does that stop? Because if it doesn't, being alive is a raw fucking deal.

fuck now i know what to expect from college

and lol fuck graphic design, sounds like bullshit to buy all of that Brax.
This too shall pass.

Postby Tuor » Tue May 07, 2013 3:47 am

Depends what you're going into
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Grey » Tue May 07, 2013 3:51 am

das y i neva went and i ent nun wers of fer it
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby darkshark » Tue May 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Grey wrote:das y i neva went and i ent nun wers of fer it

lernins fer dem fairee bois
buh

Postby BeeAre » Tue May 07, 2013 11:02 pm

darkshark wrote:I'm quite the people person, yeah

people tend to remember me long after we've met

hell, at an audition for a school i was looking at, a woman interviewing me liked me so much that she gave me her contact information "in case [I] stayed around chicago and was looking for work"

she was a director, but she didn't even see my monologues, it was literally just off my interview

so i'll keep that in mind. everyone's a possible connection.

she wants the d
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Grey » Wed May 08, 2013 6:59 am

honestly though there are times when i am very happy i haven't gone to university.

it's not too late, but i don't think that's gonna be how i further my education. sounds too much like school school. i'll just take some course somewhere.
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens