And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby EagleMan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Of course it does. But when a console is released, it basically has horrible qualities all around - it's the highest price it'll ever be, it's at it's most likely of having hardware/software defects, and content is practically nonexistent. Probably better off investing in your PC in the meanwhile.

Postby Mir@k » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Tonight's menu: Charro negro. (Tequila+coke+mom's sauce)
Cheers! For snafu! May this community thrive once more!
Last edited by Mir@k on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Mmmm, sounds delicious
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mir@k » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:24 pm

The spicyness of the sauce is the key, it's a sauce made with dried chipotle and guajillo chili, a regional delicacy and my mother's specialty. If she does another batch i'll ask at the post office about if i can send some and for how much. Someday i'd like to sedn some of it to someone hahaha
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:25 pm

It's great to be alive. I've been going through things, but even so i feel the cold in my skin, i feel the subtleties in my body as alcohol affects me, i cherish this.
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:25 pm

May we live long! CHEERS!
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:27 pm

Cheers, bro!
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tuor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:29 pm

The sauce sounds good, but probably too spicy for me
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mir@k » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Hmm. I'd say it's not spicy because dried chipotle only tastes like how normal chipotle smells but loses it's sting, while Guajillo chili causes a bit of an itch on the tongue, but really it's positioned quite low in the scoville scale of spicyness, but then again i live in Mexico and i think the average mexican has steel around the stomach.
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:53 am

6.0 earthquake in Mexico

While i feel glad that it didn't happen where i live (because my roof is cracked, it may crumble on top of me if a 6.0 hits here) i'm not sure how everyone at the mainland is doing... I hope there were no casualties or destroyed buildings.
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:54 am

Oh dang. Glad you're safe
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Eggnog » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:06 am

Cheers! :D

Not earthquake thing, but you're drink and salutations to Snafu. Sounds delcious. DAMN YOU SNAFU MOBILE!

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Huevo
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:25 pm

haha

i still have for one more fofn the drinks i told you about!
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:26 pm

woah its 2pm of the next day alreadyahah
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Asmodai » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:01 pm

I hadn't thought about it until just now, but isnt it odd how the PS4 basically won the E3 by not doing a single special thing? Is that really something we should praise? A console with nothing innovating, no progress aside from its internal hardware and maybe a software overhaul?

I know the saying "Dont fix what isnt broken." but I dont think there will be improvement if there's no risks. Take the Wii for example, that thing might not have been the most powerful console, but it sure as hell was innovating.
Mephobiac

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:07 pm

It's all mostly as a reaction to the Xbox One, really. They knew just how to exploit it.
And frankly, I'm not sure where the Wii really got us, except making a motion sensor craze.
For the Greater Good

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:11 pm

There isn't really much that can be improved, we've reached an age where an even higher polygon count will not bring much difference in visuals. For companies built around making games look pretty instead of fun, they've reached a dead end.

For this, i praise nintendo. From the three, it's the only company dedicated full towards videogames.
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:17 pm

I hate the term "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Obvious, yes, but it discourages advances and innovations of technology. I like games that try to add improvements in each installment. It's games like call of duty that I am annoyed by. They don't really advance in actual game mechanics, and yet people still buy mostly same game several times over.

I will never believe in an a time when innovation and advancements would end. It's like saying imagination will become pointless in the future.
Not Space Jesus

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Asmodai wrote:I hadn't thought about it until just now, but isnt it odd how the PS4 basically won the E3 by not doing a single special thing? Is that really something we should praise? A console with nothing innovating, no progress aside from its internal hardware and maybe a software overhaul?

I know the saying "Dont fix what isnt broken." but I dont think there will be improvement if there's no risks. Take the Wii for example, that thing might not have been the most powerful console, but it sure as hell was innovating.

Yeah but being innovative doesn't guarantee much, especially for developers. Look at the Wiis output for the last few years, it was the occasional trickle of Nintendo games and shovelware. Where would Sony go next for innovation? They pushed stereoscopic 3D and that didn't really prove to be a big thing, the general public has already shown to be tired of motion controls, the cloud that MS is pushing is still years from being truly great and useful. To most console gamers the best gens where when nothing new was really added at the start of the generation, the Snes and PS2. Those were just general gaming machines that were more powerful than their predecessors and started to flirt with the technology that would be key for the next gen(3D and online respectively). I'm hoping to see the same this gen of it being an out and out boon for gamers that this should be an easier to develop for gen with the trickle of what will be the future tech will be toward the end of the lifecycle.
All other bears are pretenders to the throne
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 pm

I'm with the crowd that hopes the stronger consoles with let PC ports look nicer, I suppose, since I plan to finally have a real gaming PC again.
For the Greater Good

Postby EagleMan » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:05 pm

The One is innovating and everyone is raging about it. A console is just a medium to deliver an experience. All people like Sony can do is just make it as powerful as they can so that developers can push the limits of what gaming can do.

It does suck that the One is bad, because that's anti competitive. I'd rather have two strong competing brands (if we're talking about the "hardcore" gaming market which Nintendo doesn't really push for) but instead we now have only one. Better one than none though.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Microsofts innovation isn't what is turning people off by and large. It's been the anti-consumerist policies that are coming out and the smugness that they talk about them with.
All other bears are pretenders to the throne
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Basically they might as well be called Microsoft Arts by the way they're behaving.
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:31 am

Xbox One...

Innovations...

Haha. Yeah, sure.

What technology does the Xbox One innovate with, other than the obvious hardware specs?
A kinect? I remember that being around before. The only innovation there is that it's mandatory.
Cloud? Really now...
Fish AI? Just because it took you 20 years to add what others have added ages ago doesn't make it innovation.
Voice commands? I have some on my phone already.
Controlling several devices with one device? Again, your phones could do that already.

The only real significant piece of innovation is adding a direct streaming system to the console. But Sony has that too.

So, is there any other actual new piece of tech that was added to Xbox that hasn't been around on the market in some form already?

Oh right, there is one. Detecting the number of people in the room to adjust the price of whatever you're watching. Now that's an innovation. I can't remember anybody ever doing that yet. So I guess, congrats Microsoft.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby EagleMan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:48 am

No one said anything about inventing something new. Consolidating all those things into a console can still be innovative. In the realm of consoles, they are actual changes, not just incremental ones. Whether they are ultimately good or bad is for the consumer to decide but bad innovation is still innovation. PS4, for the most part, and as far as we know, is mostly just an upgraded and refined PS3 with changes like having to pay to play multiplayer. You can't really say the same thing about the One versus the 360 in being merely incremental in its progress.

What do you mean I can watch movies on my phone now? My television already does this! Phone, you have failed me, for your innovations are horrible, because some other piece of technology can already do that. What are these applications you speak of? Video game apps?! My console already plays video games! An alarm clock? But I already have an alarm clock! A weather report? Why, I have the news channel and the paper! Phone, do you even do anything original? ANYTHING INNOVATIVE AT ALL? Give me something new! Stop consolidating other technologies! This is not innovative!

I hope the point is clear. Practically no one says the One is better than the PS4 - that doesn't mean the One is Satan incarnate and you have to circlejerk about fish AI. If I want to join that circlejerk I'll go on Reddit.

I don't particularly care for what the One does new for consoles and I'll be getting a PS4 (based on current info) when I do get a next-gen console, but that doesn't mean I have to act like the One is the worst piece of trash to ever exist just because the PS4 won me over.

PreviousNext

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens