And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:29 am

I just noticed that Mir has a tiny link in his sig to a useful post
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Creppy Eggy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:37 am

Riz wrote:oh Exodis....you have the capacity for decent posts, I've seen it. but then you go and make posts like that. 1 step forward 2 steps back.

Mir@k wrote:it's because he often tries to imitate other people
the good posts he makes are those he makes on his own.

Sigh. The more I learn from you guys, the more I improve in this forum. Thanks.
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.


Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2203
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: City of Angels
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Jingle Males » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:41 am

You got potentional don't waste it
Image
LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY
fool my bullets are made of suns
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 26013
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:13 pm
Location: NJ
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Mir@k » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:14 am

Riz wrote:I just noticed that Mir has a tiny link in his sig to a useful post
well... not that useful really. i just like linking back to it when people ask me about my opinions in tools for smoking
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:00 pm
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:22 am

useful
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Jingle Males » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:50 am

Your face
Image
LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY LEMON JELLY
fool my bullets are made of suns
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 26013
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:13 pm
Location: NJ
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:12 am

cat meowing underwater ahaha

Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Mir@k » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:15 am

Riz wrote:useful
bueno
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:00 pm
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Mir@k » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:50 am

The more i keep reading the original yugioh manga the more i realize yugi and his friends were walking away scott free from murdering a lot of people. o_O
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:00 pm
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:53 am

Well duh they're the protagonists
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 am

Whatis6times9 wrote:Or it's because it rides on a predetermined route(barring reroutes for whatever reason) and isn't driven by you(train, bus, plane, ferry).

It's more that you "get on" a bus/plane/blimp/etc. and then are "on" said vehicle. Same can be applied to "getting in" a car or a cab and then being "in" them.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4049
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: where there's garlic
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:26 am

What

It's like you repeated what he said but more retarded
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:29 am

Because you get IN a plane blimp etc because you are inside them but you say you are ON them so you really fucked up the point you're trying to make
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:36 am

What I described were more examples of what a phrasal verb is, like "in" or "on" usage. The issue of it being on a particular route or not driven by someone other than yourself or someone who would drive you like a family member or friend has nothing to do with the different usage of "on" or "in" in this matter.

How you got that my comment and his were similar was just in your head.

As for the blimp thing, I thought you would get "on" a blimp thinking that it would be the same as "getting on" a plane.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4049
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: where there's garlic
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:52 am

you're using circular logic. "you say you get on a plane because you say you get on a plane and you say you get in a car because you say you get in a car"
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:54 am

You technically get IN all of these but there is a distinction of which preposition to use and we are discussing the WHY.
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:56 am

So stop being a dumb and agree with whatis because he's probably right.
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Mir@k » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:01 am

is this going to be an everyday sort of thing

because i could get used to the 4am entertainment, but you don't seem to be having fun with it
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:00 pm
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:12 am

I never have any fun
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:51 am

He's... not. He really isn't. It sounds pretty and simple, but that's it. And as for the "why" we use that ruling, I feel it's more because to board one of these things is often a trip to begin with. It's a destination. As with a car/cab/limousine, they're more personal and doesn't take much effort to board... since you wouldn't often "board" one of these vehicles, seeing as it's more used for something that would use "on" when entered. And something that uses "on" all seem to also share the fact that they will accommodate a plentiful number of passengers or bigger loads over something that you would "get in". There's also when you would be boarding one of these vehicles, you have already gotten on something to board the vehicle, like a platform, a deck, a lift, a jetway, etc. Then there's the prep time for those vehicle before it can get going, the time for getting passengers on, procedures that need to be met, etcetera etcetera. It's always a miniature event when you think about it, and using on could represent how it's an event. And there's looking back to what getting "in" a car actually means. When you get in a car, you are already in your seat. But for a bus or a plane, you would first have to walk on what would be the bed of the vehicle to your seat, then sit in it.

Just a lot of little reasons for this.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4049
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: where there's garlic
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Q.U. » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:56 am

Oh my god, the English language is so complicated and convoluted it's unbelievable!

Man, it's so hard to learn English. Why did it have to be my first language? Why couldn't I have been born in one of those other countries using easier languages that make sense?


Oh, wait.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 3306
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Zerus
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:00 am

Just take it this way. Knowing you know how to speak the most confusing language in the world will make learning any other language seem like a cakewalk.

Unless that "Oh wait" meant something I'm not remembering. I don't know a lot about you, Q.U. :I
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4049
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: where there's garlic
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Tuor » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:02 am

You would think so, wouldn't you?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18433
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:05 am

No, not really. I know it's still hard in general to learn a new language if you're not surrounded by it or using it every day. But learning any language that English borrows from will certainly make it easier to relate to languages from most of Europe to my knowledge.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4049
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: where there's garlic
Gender: Male

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Riz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:08 am

God pabst. I'm not reading that drivel. I can only assume it's a longer version of what you already said and to that I say thpbbbbbbbt and also you're missing the point of what we were talking about.
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests

cron