Snafu Therapy Thread. *TRIGGER WARNINGS* This topic is under Mod protection

A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Snafu Therapy Thread.

Postby Millo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:57 pm

I think it can be both a sign and a cause. But that's just my opinion
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Riz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:10 pm

You can't have an opinion that's different from facts, that's just ignorance. My stepdad and my dad are recovering alcoholics I know what I'm talking about.
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby EagleMan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:38 pm

Millo Toe wrote:I think it can be both a sign and a cause. But that's just my opinion

It can't cause alcoholism. Other issues are what make people dependent on the alcohol. Plenty of people unwind alone with some alcohol after a hard day's work or something, that doesn't cause dependency. If you're drinking alone just to make bad feelings go away and because you don't want to see anyone else, then that may be a symptom of alcoholism.

Riz has the habit negatively impacted other parts of your life? Like drinking in lieu of studying, showing up to class/work (anything serious really) drunk, or foregoing other things like hanging out with someone to drink alone? Having alcohol in places like your car? Or you no longer do activities/hobbies you used to?

I guess asking all that is superfluous though if you already know the signs. What makes you not really care about possibly becoming an alcoholic?

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Riz wrote:I feel like shit anyway and when I start drinking and haven't had too much it feels really good
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby EagleMan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:46 pm

I meant a more detailed answer than that. If that's the only reason then yeah that's a cause for concern. Even mentally though she doesn't seem too worried about it.

Postby Riz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm not too worried because no, it's not interferring with my life at all so maybe I'm okay. I do have family history of it though and I have a lot of mental problems and an addictive personality so I might develop it in the future.

And I think I'm not worried because I'm so used to being down and feeling bad so what's the difference if I have another problem.

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:04 pm

You don't really drink that much, so right now I would say you are "ok", even though you already know how I feel about you drinking
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Riz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 pm

If I had my way I would drink more often

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 pm

I'm glad you don't have your way, although, I don't really know what stops you from drinking at uni, but you don't do it that much, so…
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby EagleMan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:22 pm

I don't know, it seems like you're pretty cognizant of what's going on with yourself. If it makes you feel better and what you say is true, that it isn't negatively impacting your life, then I can't ask you to suffer by cutting back. All I could ask is you get treatment for your other problems, something you already know, because if you have both depression and alcoholism that's even harder to help than depression alone. If money's an issue, your university should probably have something you can go to for help once the semester starts up again. I'm sure there's probably even a support group somewhere you could attend. Being able to open up with other, real life people, will probably boost your mood better.

Postby Riz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Tuor wrote:I'm glad you don't have your way, although, I don't really know what stops you from drinking at uni, but you don't do it that much, so…

Money stops me, liquor is expensive

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Cool
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Riz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Being a dick about it just makes me feel obstinate

Postby Millo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:50 pm

EagleMan wrote:All I could ask is you get treatment for your other problems, something you already know, because if you have both depression and alcoholism that's even harder to help than depression alone.

I agree, depression on it's own is already tough enough as it is. Adding a layer of alcoholism is horrifying. Also as EM said if you can't afford a psychiatrist I'm sure your school has some sort of program that lets you vent.

I don't think Tuor is being a dick I just think he's concerned with your well-being, and you not being that upset about the whole alcoholism thing makes me feel worried.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm just glad you can't be more self-destructive.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby EagleMan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:02 pm

All the cool kids don't drink, it's like, the latest craze. But if I recall right you already have had psychiatric help before and it hasn't panned out. I would just experiment with life style changes, and especially try to work out and eat right. It sucks in the moment, or leading up to it, but ultimately you do feel better, and that's science. Obviously whatever you got going for you isn't working out so hot.

Postby Millo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Psychiatric help is a tricky thing, I had a horrible horrible psychiatrist and it made me put off that option after that . It could be Riz had a horrible psychiatrist and if thats the case I would definitely suggest finding a new one and seeing if it works
Resident Illustrator

Postby Tuor » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Far as I've heard the person she's been seeing at her college has been pretty helpful
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Riz » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:59 pm

I haven't talked to my counselor about this

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:41 am

Riz wrote:Money stops me, liquor is expensive

And this is why I only drink socially. If you really want to get access to more alcohol, friends are a wonderful source. Drinking isn't bad, and finding some drinking buddies isn't a bad deal.

Also, Millo, I think you're talking about a psychologist, unless they also prescribed pills for you. But either way, psychologists/therapists are probably the better way to go over psychiatrists unless recommended otherwise.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Millo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:05 am

Yes you're correct Sef I was. In no way would pills be a good thing to be prescribed right now.
Resident Illustrator

Postby Millo » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Happy 100th page you guys
Resident Illustrator

Postby EagleMan » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:05 pm

Time to crack a beer open then

Postby Princess » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:06 pm

*pops in*

tbqh, the only people on this forum that are 100% on their way to becoming alcoholics are me and Grey. I don't remember the last time I didn't drink, except when I've been disgustingly hungover. But I highly doubt it'll happen, to either of us. Maybe.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Yog » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:48 pm

Good, because getting the shakes is nightmarish. Still get some sleepless nights, and I haven't had a drink in almost 5 months.
DaCrum
Yog, you are one cool motherfucka.
One day this child shall learn the beauty of life.
Absurdum vitae.
Thanks for being there for me, man.
Resident Old God

PreviousNext

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens