Switch to full style
This forum can be a scary place, 'cause we got lax rules: let's see your war face. Take a breath, and roll the dice, you might find out we're really nice.
Post a reply

Re: Weekly discussion (3/10-3/17): Minimum wage

Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:01 pm

From my own experiences I'll just say that minimum wage is not enough to live off of.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:35 pm

So the dilemma is thus: Either the worker gets a minimum wage, and everybody in the economy suffers slightly as the economy is not at optimum productivity, or the economy gets swell with the removal of the minimum wage, but the worker then suffers as they don't make enough money to live off of... although as you said, we have charities and government programs, surely those go to help somebody.

Minimum wage will never be removed, though, in my opinion. Even if the best and most convincing economists come on up and explain why minimum wage is harmful, the basic fact remains that without it, there will be employers who go back to the industrial revolution, and severely under-pay employees. Employees who, since they can't find a job elsewhere, are going to suffer.

And suffering breaks peoples hearts.

People vote with their emotions, not their rationing.

Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:44 pm

That's how Obama managed to get the seat.

Now that he got his seat, it's been a rocky road for him.

Minimum wage is just enough for food in a week. It's pretty hard to manage other things such electricity and house bills

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:30 am

pure capitalism is a failure as a system as technology progresses

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

@BeeAre: Is this the reason certain fictional works about the future sometimes feature a single entity controlling most things? (Now, I'm not saying communism or something but I hope you get what I mean)

Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:58 pm

I've personally experienced minimum wage. From the s4tand point of a college student who just wants extra cash, it's enough [barely]. So imagine a person who needs cash to pay bills. Unless they're not the main source of income of the household, then it's fine. I have it for an understanding that states set their own minimum wage, and Texas' right now seems to be at a reasonable level. I would say that they should keep minimum wage for teenagers [below 18 years of age] at a small number, while the minimum wage for legal adults should be raised to $9 or $10. Of course that would be discriminating so it won't happen, but kids who's only concern is to pay for fancy shit shouldn't get the same amount as somebody who needs to take a second job to make ends meet. This is all an opinion though, I have no stats or evidence to back my claim.

Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:30 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:@BeeAre: Is this the reason certain fictional works about the future sometimes feature a single entity controlling most things? (Now, I'm not saying communism or something but I hope you get what I mean)

well yeah it's a motif: single things are more efficient than many things

anarcho-communists are fun people to talk to: they want to absolve pure government and pure capitalism and indoctrinate kids on the values of altruism, which is cool but so hugely impractical with how tightly pure capitalism has a grip on the world.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Well, isn't it usually kind of mixed for the most part?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:55 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:Well, isn't it usually kind of mixed for the most part?

what is?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm

When I started with BK, I made $5.25 and worked up to $7.55. Then they raised the wage to $7.50 shortly after.

Wasn't sure how to feel about that.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:37 pm

I make 7.75 an hour doing hard labor and my friend who is a highschool dropout makes 8.75 and hour at a tanning salon doing nothing.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:40 pm

I make 9.75 doing tedious work, leaving my brain to think of wonderful story ideas.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:01 pm

I made 6.25 doing more than many of these kids do at their jobs. When they switched it I had been working at the story for a year, and still had the same wage. And you can't ask for a raise in a job like that.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:32 pm

BeeAre wrote:
icha_icha_paradise wrote:Well, isn't it usually kind of mixed for the most part?

what is?

Most countries don't go for the purest of capitalism, even the US has regulations, so its not a complete capitalism, right?

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:12 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:
BeeAre wrote:

what is?

Most countries don't go for the purest of capitalism, even the US has regulations, so its not a complete capitalism, right?

uber rich people can avoid the vast majority of these regulations through importing and exporting and using the leverage their power affords them to change the way those regulations work so ultimately pure capitalism still exists

because pure capitalism at its core, without regulation, is merely bartering approximate values, be they goods or skills over varying amounts of time (another resource all to itself) for the absolute greatest benefit for the individuals making the trade

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:28 pm

Well, you can't really have effective markets without certain kinds of regulation. Property rights need to be agreed on and enforced, contracts need to be enforceable, regulations pertaining to buyer and seller behavior need to establish some standard of trust for transactions to take place (i.e. scams must be punishable or sufficiently rare in the first place). "Pure" capitalism usually refers to some vague minimum set of regulations like these needed to make a market work.

P.S. I've been meaning to be more active in these discussions, but real life obligations have kept me busy. Nice to see that there's enough interest to keep things going.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm interested in your real-life obligations.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:05 am

I'm responsible for bringing the cleansing rains to deserts, and the well-being of all birds and fish. I'm also in charge of long-term parking at LaGuardia.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:07 am

That was you? Well done sir.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:18 am

Valhallen wrote:I'm responsible for bringing the cleansing rains to deserts, and the well-being of all birds and fish. I'm also in charge of long-term parking at LaGuardia.

Ooh, an airport valet.

Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Valhallen wrote:Well, you can't really have effective markets without certain kinds of regulation. Property rights need to be agreed on and enforced, contracts need to be enforceable, regulations pertaining to buyer and seller behavior need to establish some standard of trust for transactions to take place (i.e. scams must be punishable or sufficiently rare in the first place). "Pure" capitalism usually refers to some vague minimum set of regulations like these needed to make a market work.

P.S. I've been meaning to be more active in these discussions, but real life obligations have kept me busy. Nice to see that there's enough interest to keep things going.

Of course such regulation gives rise to it's own problems... the first thing to come to mind is patent trolling.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:24 pm

PATENT TROLLANNNNN

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:55 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:PATENT TROLLANNNNN

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:06 pm

Topic 5: Geoengineering, 6/25-7/2

I ran across some articles recently, which brought this to mind. I think stuff like that is kind of cool. Do you? More significantly, do you think large projects intended to alter the Earth in some significant way are, or can be, good? If you called the shots, what would you do?

Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:38 am

Problem I see in the first article is that painting what was under the glacier white will not make the glacier regrow... because the color of what was under the glacier should not have been a factor in it's melting.

That said painting roofs white is probably a better use of funding if for no other reason than to keep the heat from collecting in cities a bit.

Second link... so long as they aren't trying to plant things directly in the desert but simply expand the not-so-desert area then it's possible they could get some results.

Anyways Val like all things, there is some good and some bad. It mostly depends on the people behind the project and how realistic/feasible the project is.
Post a reply