Everafter Talk Thread v2

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Everafter Talk Thread v2

Postby BossyGirl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:00 pm

Love Ranma 1/2 Every volume was perfect ;)
~ count them forsaken ~
Obsessed with the mess that's America

Postby top gear tony » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:31 am

Ranma always went over my head, every time I find a reason to read/watch it, something comes up and yeah.........

One of my all-time favorites is a little series called Reiko the Zombie Shop, talk about pulpygoodness. (shut up it's a word if I say it is) Reiko the Zombie Shop. I can't put into words what kind of messed up, twisted ride this kind of manga is but it left me screaming for me and I love the classic style the art has. Though I can't vouch for the fact that it is within your......... tastes.

I have no idea how commas work

Yog: Praise the sun that is Top Gear Tony, a friend to all.
Do I have style points yet

Postby BossyGirl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:19 am

That was ... quite interesting, a little toooo dark for me~ I shall keep up my search!
~ count them forsaken ~

Postby top gear tony » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Yeah, they should include a massive WARNING on the manga or something, it isn't even shrink wrapped in stores so any poor soul could pick it up and read it, and Spice and Wolf is shrink wrapped, makes you wonder.

Postby BossyGirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:51 pm

high school of the dead in color
~ count them forsaken ~

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Yeah. Anime was good. I heard it got approved for a second season.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Mucho hotness
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Soul Eater is technically a school thing. Kinda shoujo I guess, but I quite enjoy the manga and certainly wouldn't use shoujo and school romance to describe it.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 am

Chrona + Kishin is totally romance, man.

And yes, Soul Eater is not really a school or romance type. But the Soul Eater Not is much closer. Though it's still quite new, so there is yet to be room for action.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:37 am

Q.U. wrote:Chrona + Kishin is totally romance, man.

Urgh. I hope that's a joke.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm pulling your leg. Hah.

Also, still not sure if Chrona is a guy or a girl. In the last chapter they said "he", I think. But that may very well be a translation thing.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:12 pm

Thank god. I've been reading the yen press ones, which is up to about...vol 11. Which is pretty far behind the fan translations. No idea what you know.

And probably translation thingy.
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby BossyGirl » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:07 pm

Well in the english translation Crona is female. I hoped she would be cause she only wears dresses. The manga follows the anime really closely that's why I refuse to re-read what I just saw. However I do like the cover arts on the graphic novels.

I think I like the art better than story line which I'm told is absurd. But I really can't fathom where the art is horrendous but the story is great. I just can't get past the way you draw limbs Mr. manga.

Anyone try Le Chevalier D'Eon?
~ count them forsaken ~

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Well in the english translation Crona is female. I hoped she would be cause she only wears dresses. The manga follows the anime really closely that's why I refuse to re-read what I just saw. However I do like the cover arts on the graphic novels.

The manga follows the anime really closely

manga follows the anime

Wat?

I think you meant to say "the anime follows the manga closely". Or did they start making the anime ahead of the manga?

As for Crona, I also think she is female. As far as I know the Japanese language allows you to refer to children as "it" in a way which refuses to be translated well into English, and I think that's what they do in SE.

Also, I don't believe the manga and anime follow the same line. At least the wiki page disagrees.

The anime series faithfully adapts the plot of the manga until DWMA's first major battle against Arachnophobia, at which point it deviates from the manga's plot considerably. After giving DWMA information on Arachnophobia, Medusa takes advantage of Stein's increasing madness to lure him away with her. Crona leaves DWMA with teacher and death scythe Marie Mjolnir, and the two manage to bring back Stein after Maka defeats Medusa. Meanwhile, Arachne finds Asura and forms an alliance with him, intending to spread his madness across the world. Shinigami and Asura resume their fight in the ensuing confrontation between DWMA and Arachnophobia, which ends with Asura defeating Shinigami, turning on Arachne, and eating her soul. Maka defeats Asura in the final battle, and the world returns to normal.   

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Up to a point, they're very similar.

The official translated version of the manga and the anime are quite alike, but, assumedly,    since Joe's death, there isn't going to be a volume dedicated to two giant bases growing arms and legs and kicking the shit out of each other. God, that was awesome.   

As for Crona...I dunno. It seems to be a technicality really. For me...If I had to say, manga boy, anime girl.
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Things are left out when transition happens between Manga and Anime.
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby top gear tony » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:16 am

The thing is anime moves faster than manga, a manga writer generally has a mount to get a chapter or more out the door to keep up with the monthly magazine they work with. Anime development is fast and investors want a return and Source material runs out fast and the writers have to get creative. You can notice it in Soul Eater with the drastic drop off in quality during the last 13 episodes as Soul Eater drags it's pre source material run out stuff out which is unusual for studio Bones. Not to mention that whole Maka and Crona malarkey is basically a more watered down version of the current Naruto, Sasuke arc that fuels the entirety of Naruto's plot, but unlike that the context is really sudden and weak and it tries to squeeze it self into a plot with already a lot going on. Until that point Maka was a rather compelling character that I was interested to see where she went. If it wasn't bad enough in an already pretty good series (I.E a stain on the name), it's brought to an anti-climatic boil in the rushed post source material ending of the anime. Not to say the anime is bad, but it's flaws are more apparent when it damages established characters and settings. But that's just me.

Since Bones (the anime studio,also the studio behind FMA and FMA Brotherhood.) animated Soul Eater the rumour is that once the manga is finished they're going to pull another Brotherhood on Soul Eater but much more faithful to the source material and with the chapter filler in the manga cut out.

Postby BossyGirl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:28 am

Q.U. wrote:I think you meant to say "the anime follows the manga closely". Or did they start making the anime ahead of the manga?

I see I put the carriage before the horse uck.
~ count them forsaken ~

Postby Q.U. » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:02 am

The thing is anime moves faster than manga, a manga writer generally has a mount to get a chapter or more out the door to keep up with the monthly magazine they work with. Anime development is fast and investors want a return and Source material runs out fast and the writers have to get creative. You can notice it in Soul Eater with the drastic drop off in quality during the last 13 episodes as Soul Eater drags it's pre source material run out stuff out which is unusual for studio Bones. Not to mention that whole Maka and Crona malarkey is basically a more watered down version of the current Naruto, Sasuke arc that fuels the entirety of Naruto's plot, but unlike that the context is really sudden and weak and it tries to squeeze it self into a plot with already a lot going on. Until that point Maka was a rather compelling character that I was interested to see where she went. If it wasn't bad enough in an already pretty good series (I.E a stain on the name), it's brought to an anti-climatic boil in the rushed post source material ending of the anime. Not to say the anime is bad, but it's flaws are more apparent when it damages established characters and settings. But that's just me.

I have to agree. I mostly prefer it when anime is being made after the manga is already finished. It's like them doing The LotR trilogy after only volume 2 came out, and then them guessing what the ending is going to be like. Of course it's going to be worse. More popular animes like Bleach struggle with the same problem, but they solve it by fillers instead of going ahead of the manga. So if anybody wondered why the Bounto arc was so boring then now you know. And even if the manga is finished when the anime goes, they still often fail to be faithful to it and end up spoiling some parts of it. But there are also cases of good anime that are both faithful and well made, so that they can actually compete with manga. Although it is rare, I think the Death Note anime was very well done and comparable to the manga.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:26 am

I sort of heard different about Crona's gender in the English translation. In the anime, they always refer to Crona as he, and it's even discussed in the extra commentary I heard in the DVD I rented of it a long ways back. Mentioned a lot about since Crona's gender is supposed to be ambiguous, in the original Japanese translation they could get around not directly calling him/her a girl or a boy with how they refer to others differently than in English (just like Q.U. mentioned). But in the translation of it, it's harder to not use a gender label when referring to someone and still stay ambiguous, so the default is "he", since it's what's used when the gender of a person is unknown or non-existent to my understanding.

As for the manga, I don't recall. It's been way too long since I read it. But the idea of Crona being a girl is what I prefer.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:26 am

I feel like I'm brooding in a ghost town. Like some kind of malicious ghost, plotting revenge on foes that have past on long ago... Waiting for something to happen, but knowing fucking well enough that nothing will happen. Nothing will bring back the good old days, those are gone, and ahead are only days of painful waiting as this site succumbs to the slow decay of time and fucking dies.

But I think the best part about this is that nobody will give a damn. Oh look at that, its just BL ranting like a idiot again. Who gives a fuck about that guy. Or better yet, it'll just be ignored. No comment just walks by. I think what I miss the most was back in the old days, before I left. We cared about each other. We would listen and be friends. It was one big old happy passed family. Then it just fell apart into this... place. It doesn't matter anymore. Fuck. I hate it so much when people think I am just being an ass. Seriously, that isn't my intention and now people are waiting to comment until after I leave. Just so god damn fucking peachy. Cheeky bastards the lot of them. But I can understand how the idea came around. I was an ass quite a bit. Still am o. Occassio. But for good reasons. God do I hate stupid people. Like ditzy blondes. I just want to smack them across the tits and ask them what in the hell are they thinking... ranting again. Damn phone. I can't even see what I was ranting about. Ohh. The site.

All well. Fuck it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jasthn » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:07 am

I feel like I can relate in a sense, though I feel like I came in just as the site was coming to a halt. If anything, I consider the Everafter section to be my home, it's like the area I would always be posting in and could be found in. Now I see it and it's just a slow/decaying area, as I've noticed the rest of the site becoming the same way.

Alas, when you left for your mission I could honestly say I was very saddened, I realized then that Snafu was like a family to me which was quite nice, maybe I can't say this site liked me as much as you but I can say I loved the site and the people on it. Now, though I'm happy to see some of the vets still here, I was kind of surprised to see the forum was standing at all. I hope it Snafu forums can be what they used to be though. One day, anyway.

Despite this, I can't say my feelings are stronger than yours, after all you've been here longer, known the ins and outs, everyone loves you for damn sure and if not then obviously they don't know what a brilliant mind is. However, I do understand what you mean, and I feel the same way regardless.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:45 am

Hmm. Don't have much to say.
Image=
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Riz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:50 pm

Good thing you made a post about it, otherwise we wouldn't have known.
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Vampire Hiryu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:03 pm

And good on you for pointing out his post, I couldn't find it.
ImageImageImage
Such a lovely maiden
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter