The Anime Thread.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Anime Thread.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:33 am

top gear tony 666 wrote:No I'm talking about when the cannon awkwardly enforces pairing as fandom fodder. Like that awkward and out of place one between Kyoko and Sayaka. I mean how the hell did that even have time to develop. There are plenty like that, without going into shows that are actively centred around that kinda thing.

I dunno, I think it was probably that scene at the end of episode 9 that made people ship Sayaka x Kyoko. That and the fact that Kyoko started getting softer on Sayaka after the whole episode 6 thing. Come to think of it, I never did ask you what you thought of shipping in that series.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby top gear tony » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 am

I don't like it. The only undertone that works is Madoka and Homura. But only because that's laterally a major plot point. As much as I like her, Kyoko's seems to be there so they have someone to ship with Sayaka. It's literally to fuel products and fan doujins which double up as free advertising. Mami die to early on, so fan just kinda use her as a wild card and ship her with everyone. Or she's like a insane rapist, either way. Kyoko seemed to be put in bed with her more than the rest since because of their past and what not, but at least Mami's more interesting than Sayaka, even if she only last's for 3 episodes.

It just seems to have been coldly calculated by some hype machine to sell to rabid fic writers and doujin circles(jerks. Heh, lol.) Again running with the free advertisement thing. Which incidentally, is why you never see Anime publishers get into legal disputes with Doujin writers, even if they are selling them and making money off them.

I mean if you're gonna do something like that as least go whole hog like Strike Witches did. (And be entertaining that's important too.)

I have no idea how commas work

Yog: Praise the sun that is Top Gear Tony, a friend to all.
Do I have style points yet

Postby ari-6 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:16 pm

I don't think Kyoko was there just for shipping. Frankly I feel like if there were any less main characters then there wouldn't be enough. I actually thought that only three main characters for Evangelion wasn't enough, and liked when Mari and Kawrou got more screen time. I like the idea of letting the audience get attached to a character before killing them off. But at the same time I feel like Mami's death was important because that is the point where it is obvious who the writer is. Honestly I feel if they had have kept Mami in for longer, just to kill her off later on, then they would have just been wasting time. Plus without Kyoko, there goes your example for the typical magi to draw contrast between all the rest of the characters. And Out of all of the main characters, she was by far the most fun. I I really don't think at any point the writers planned to make a character, just to boost the appeal for making Doujins. But also I liked how you pretty much summed up all Madoka doujins. Madoka with Homura, Sayaka with Kyoko and Mami with anyone and everyone. And then there is the 001% that are hetro.... ugh....

Postby top gear tony » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Well don't get me wrong. The character were most definitely all planned out. I mean before marketing came in. Just look at all the merchandise. I also generally think that Mami's death was only there to throw you off guard. I mean before that, it was a pretty by the numbers magic girl show, but with really good art direction.

Something tells me, somewhere during the development for the show, someone came in with this amazing idea of a Yuri undertone. Kyoko as a character was completely wasted on a character the audience could clearly see was a lost cause (The shows tone set the standard for that. After Mami, it wasn't going to catch us off guard again). She didn't have to die, she didn't need to die and she shouldn't have died. But you know they were committed to this idea, so they killed her. I mean her death is the only one that makes no sense. Everyone else was either unlucky or turned into a complete nutter, and here we are with an out of character scene for Kyoko killing herself just cause the director needed two more characters to die and they used 8 of their allotted 13 episodes.

I generally want to know what happened during development. I mean was Kyoko's death a test scene that they made in early stages, where they hadn't named the character yet, and had to use latter due to constraints (Like that chase scene from Uncharted 3, look it up.) because it's very out of character and a sad excuse to leave Homura as a one man army to deal with the big bad guy. I would have liked to have seen them double team it, and have Kyoko die in battle or some shit.

I still think it was part marketing, I mean why green light something so bloody risky otherwise. They probably had to have ticked a few corporate boxes along the way. I don't think doujin making was the target here so much as was fan culture in general. How many time have you tried a show because you saw fan art that looked interesting. It's merchandise, the rest was just a bonus.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:54 pm

I feel like she was killed off solely so that Homura would be left alone. And that was enough to raise tension because at this point we know that Homura probably can't do it alone. And in ep 10 we learn that beating the Walpurgis and failing is kind of a big deal to her. Since with the exception of Kyubey who can't be killed, the Walpurgis acts as pretty much the embodiment of all of Homura's torment. But at the same time I wouldn't want to see just Kyoko and Homura fighting. Back before I knew what kind of story it was I assumed all the characters would end up on the same team. So for me it would either be everyone or just Homura.

What I wan to know it why haven't they made any OVAs? Another story or Oriko magica would have mad great OVAs. They could make OVAs about some of the other cycles and that would give them an excuse to mess around with some different ideas.

Also if we were to assume Oriko magica is cannon, that would mean every time a cycle starts, Homura has to go out of her way to kill both Oriko and Kirika.

Postby top gear tony » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Easy. Animation is expensive. Good quality animation is really expensive. OVA animation (which is usually really high quality) is super expensive. Why do that when you have something so insanely popular that you could release any old product related guff (manga, drama CD, low budget PSP game) call it cannon and watch money fly out of wallets so fast, you could get wrist whiplash.

Eventually (Again like with Strike Witches) they'll make another season when the cocaine bucket runs dry (Ooo, I am being pessimistic today.), but for now they seem to be doing just fine. Since their financial year literally has it's back to a movie, they'll be fine selling Blu-ray combo packs and love pillows for a bit.

On an unrelated note, nice deviant art. I never noticed it until now but it's really good.

Postby Q.U. » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:19 pm

top gear tony 666 wrote:I don't like it. The only undertone that works is Madoka and Homura. But only because that's laterally a major plot point. As much as I like her, Kyoko's seems to be there so they have someone to ship with Sayaka. It's literally to fuel products and fan doujins which double up as free advertising. Mami die to early on, so fan just kinda use her as a wild card and ship her with everyone. Or she's like a insane rapist, either way. Kyoko seemed to be put in bed with her more than the rest since because of their past and what not, but at least Mami's more interesting than Sayaka, even if she only last's for 3 episodes.

Now to put that into perspective for normal people, not interested in finding shipping potential in every anime they see, like myself, I would like to inform everybody that we're talking about 14 year old girls who look like 8 year olds.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby top gear tony » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Hey I just watch the show. I know about the goings on because I've bee into this medium for so long.

Anyone who spends a enough time on the internet will know about these things. But I also have friends who are involved with both Anime covering media and actually commission artists. They've seen some shit I tell ya.

In the end it doesn't matter what form our favorite angst covered, preeteen, panty flash-a-thon comes in as long as it's compelling.

And you know it could be worse, people could be actually doing this kinda thing to little girls instead of writing and drawing about it. Besides there are some decent non-sex doujins out there. Also I'm just a consumer, I don't make the products but as proven time and again there is a market out there.

Postby Q.U. » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:39 pm

I know that there's a lot of this out there.
Which is why I feel it's a shame. So much potential wasted. Instead of some good action and new plot twists, or backstory, or epilogue/prologue, most of these writings focus on half-assed romance or plain erotics. It pains me to see people believe that shipping/romantic development is the only way to do character development.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Warbear » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:13 pm

Romance is usually relatable to everyone so that's why it's usually pushed into everything, not just anime. You can look at any western/European show and see just as much romance in them as conventional anime and, hell, romance in 14 year old girls isn't the weirdest thing I've seen people ship. Look at the fucking Supernatural fandom shipping the two brothers. Romance can be used as a convenient plot point for further exposition or it could be the main focus of a show. I don't see much of a problem with it. Let fans ship what they want and let writers do the same. In the case of Kill la Kill, the    GamagoorixMako    ship is brought up a few times for a very short scene and there's no problem with that. Gotta dampen the overall over-the-top action just a little bit sometimes. Madoka ships still weird me out a bit though, but it makes sense within the context of the show.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Wild Card

Postby top gear tony » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:26 pm

Very true. But shipping for the sake of shipping just seems like wasted effort. I could keep harping on this till I'm blue in the face, but it does't change the fact that half baked romance sub plots are not just popular with the "kids" (yo I be hip), but everyone.

Postby ari-6 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:43 pm

top gear tony 666 wrote:Easy. Animation is expensive. Good quality animation is really expensive. OVA animation (which is usually really high quality) is super expensive. Why do that when you have something so insanely popular that you could release any old product related guff (manga, drama CD, low budget PSP game) call it cannon and watch money fly out of wallets so fast, you could get wrist whiplash.
Come on, Shaft is practically printing money with Madoka and Bakemonogatari. They could afford to shell out for an OVA. Plus they have the reassurance that it will definitely sell. The creator did say something like "Madoka has become a series of expectation that is far too easy to let down" and I respected that. But then I read these great spin off stories and I just wonder what the quartet is doing if they have these kind of stories and they don't do more with them.

top gear tony 666 wrote:Eventually (Again like with Strike Witches) they'll make another season when the cocaine bucket runs dry (Ooo, I am being pessimistic today.), but for now they seem to be doing just fine. Since their financial year literally has it's back to a movie, they'll be fine selling Blu-ray combo packs and love pillows for a bit.
It is hilarious how you manage to make everything sound so jaded and strangely poetic. Like the Rorschach of the anime industry. But yeah, I have heard from a few people that the new movie opens it up for another season. I have also heard that the plot of the movie was actually originally meant to be season 2 except they couldn't draw it out enough to fill 12 episodes. I have also heard that the creator said if there were a season two, he would want it to be a regular slice of life anime with Yuri undertones. I would kinda pay to see that.

top gear tony 666 wrote:On an unrelated note, nice deviant art. I never noticed it until now but it's really good.

Thanks allot. I still don't see anything in there that I think is actually really good though.

Also what you were saying about non-H doujin. I found a pretty epic one. It has Homura in a fight against Oriko. Still hasn't been translated in English yet though.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 am

I really wonder what the next season of anime will bring us... With a good chunk of animes ending, there's gonna be a lot to fill its place for those that are over or taking a break for the next season.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby The Mad Doctor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:05 am

I'm two episodes short from finishing kill la kill, an I am like: "holy shit this makes sense now?". Some asshole from another unspecified part of the internet thought it would be fun to spoil- without warning- one of the twists of the kill la kill which I refuse to specify. That's a tad bit frustrating.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Postby ari-6 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:I really wonder what the next season of anime will bring us... With a good chunk of animes ending, there's gonna be a lot to fill its place for those that are over or taking a break for the next season.

Postby top gear tony » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:11 pm

Whoa. two hours. That's a long time for a video just to tell us what the new anime line up is.

Oh look. They actually adapted Soul Eater Not into an anime. Cool. I wonder if Studio Bones are animating it again.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:06 pm

I finished Kill La Kill! Holy shit that was amazing.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Postby ari-6 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:48 am

top gear tony 666 wrote:Oh look. They actually adapted Soul Eater Not into an anime. Cool. I wonder if Studio Bones are animating it again.
They actually talk about that in the podcast. I know it is long but I like having things to listen to while I am working. Soul eater NOT is also made by bones. They also mention the possibility that, now that souls eater has officially ended, perhaps they will make a new series that follows the story of the manga more closely like they did with FMA Brotherhood.

They also mentioned that Gainax is making a mahou shoujo. It's like "So we made this... It's a mahou shojo.... Please watch..... please....?" Image
Another manga to be getting an anime is Akuma no Riddle Image
Also I think they mentioned somewhere about a lacrosse anime

Postby Warbear » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:50 am

In case the news hasn't reached here yet, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is going to be on Crunchyroll sometime in spring.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Wild Card

Postby Cerulean » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:17 pm

Figured I'd bring it up here too. Apparently AoT will be getting two movies. But they'll just be covering the material that is in Season 1. So the first half of the season will be in movie 1, while the second half will be movie 2.

As for the anime I'm most looking forward to this season. It'd have to be Isshuukan Friends (Friends for a Week). I'm hoping for a lot of feels to be felt during this, but also trying to not get my hopes up too much. There are a few others that I plan on watching, but this is the one that comes to mind first.
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Yog » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:07 pm

Anyone reading Koe no Katachi?
DaCrum
Yog, you are one cool motherfucka.
One day this child shall learn the beauty of life.
Absurdum vitae.
Thanks for being there for me, man.
Resident Old God

Postby ari-6 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:12 am

Oh wow! I read the one shot when it first came out but I had no idea they made it into a series! I really love this artists work and I read all of Mardock Scramble so I will be sure to read this one too.

Also, I may be wrong, but if it is manga you are asking about then you might get a better response here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55054&start=950

Postby Yog » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:22 am

Ah, sorry, my mistake. I thought manga could be included in this thread.

But yeah, read the series. It's fantastic. Utterly fantastic. One of my favorites, and it'll probably remain that way for a very long time.
DaCrum
Absurdum vitae.
Resident Old God

Postby ari-6 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:46 am

You didn't make any mistake. I am fairly certain manga can be talked about here as well. It is just that there is typically more conversation about manga on the other thread as well as more people who may have also read thangs you have. What other manga would you say are your favourites?

Postby Yog » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:18 pm

After I return from work, I'll get my list out and post it.

It's definitely a weird one.

I have a bit of a taste for gory, b-movie like manga.
DaCrum
Absurdum vitae.
Resident Old God

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter