The Anime Thread.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Anime Thread.

Postby ari-6 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Well............ I think I know and maybe you do as well, I just do not want to say it out loud because it would qualify as one of the biggest damn spoilers of the entire movie!
Some people shouldn't have an imagination. They just abuse it.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby top gear tony » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Wait, I think I got it.    It's possible that this is the world where she fails and becomes the walpurgis.   

Read spoilers at your own risk.

I have no idea how commas work

Yog: Praise the sun that is Top Gear Tony, a friend to all.
Do I have style points yet

Postby ari-6 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:14 pm

I think I know what spoilers say but I will not read them. There is just something about speculation like this when it is said out loud (typed) that makes it worse.

Okay I read it anyway (sigh I can't resist black tape). And I can say that this was the popular theory until it was jossed a while ago. I believe that there was a fan book (not a fan made book) where   the forms and names of Homura, Kyoko and Mami witches were revealed. And also the concept behind the Walpurges, if I am remembering this correctly and this was not speculation, the Walpurges was created when two witches barriers intersect, the stronger witch assimilates the weaker and this happens many times until the walpurges is made. That is why the Walpurges has so many different familiars. And also, in the myth, the Walpurges night is supposed to be a night where all the witches gather together and make some kind of evil plan.   

Although I do personally like the old idea better.    The idea that what she was fighting so hard against the entire time was herself is just too good. And also the idea that her witch form can travel backwards through timelines is just awesome in that it would kind of make sense.   

Also there was an official game (written by the quartet but not cannon) where you play as Homura and the ending was determined by how you play the game.    There were bad ends, really bad ends, good ends and one perfect end. The only chance for the perfect end is to make sure that you face the final boss with Mami, Kyoko and Sayaka and that everyone is coordinated so that no one dies. But I think it was a case of if you fail in a fight you do not get to redo, you go back to start if you die or if you fail to save someone you must carry on. The really bad end was where Homura becomes a witch   

Postby top gear tony » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Oh yeah I forgot about that:    Her witch form is called Homulilly.    There goes my theory.

Postby ari-6 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Well no..... I will just say   I think this is her transformation   

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:09 pm

I just finished watching FLCL. That was one of the weirdest shit I've ever seen. However it was surprisingly entertaining. Basically it's about a boy who hit puberty and is obsessed with behaving maturely and thinks that it's boring in his town despite the giant fucking iron in the middle of the background. Who then gets run over by a girl with pink hair driving a Vespa then she hits him in the head with a motorized guitar. This girl turns out to be an alien that is insane. I thought about comparing it to Adventure Time, but then realized that the ability to replace a world with magic and interdimensional panes is insignificant, next to the power of Japan. FLCL was only six episodes long being a fairly good enough length for this sort of anime without getting boring, like trying to cut something so many times that the blade gets dull.

I find it somewhat ironic that despite having only watched a few anime altogether, I find more interest in the slightly more obscure ones. I can't explain this for some reason.
Never anger a magician

Postby Hallow Nova » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Join the club.
Your number is somewhere in the 8 digit margin.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:18 pm

FLCL is obscure? I guess, but I tend to stay away from the more popular series so mostly everything I watch is obscure to some degree. It pisses me off that I watch immensely popular shows like Madoka and Evangelion and the only way I know they are immensely popular is by looking at the internet because I have met maybe one person in real life who has actually watched them.

Then there are shows like AoT. I walk into a store and everyone is talking about it which is cool but not talking about much else because AoT is the only anime they have seen. And of course everyone I ever talk to IRL who has ever read manga, loves Naruto or onepiece. And everyone I have talked to insists that nothing else could ever be better, and are generally really annoying. Which puts me even further off a watching/reading. And the only anime in my country airs at 1AM.

So I have nothing to talk about with anyone. I am a minority within a minority. And I just heard the creative team behind AoT were at MCM expo. But who can afford to go to that every year. What point was I trying to make before I started ranting? Oh yeah, every thing here is obscure.

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm

ari-6 wrote:FLCL is obscure?

I didn't really say that.
Never anger a magician

Postby ari-6 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:31 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:I find it somewhat ironic that despite having only watched a few anime altogether, I find more interest in the slightly more obscure ones. I can't explain this for some reason.

I am sorry. I thought that was what you were implying. Having made this statement directly after talking about FLCL. I appologise.

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:00 pm

It was my fault too. But strangely enough I want to talk more about flcl.
Never anger a magician

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:02 pm

It has that effect.

Fricking weird show. Manga is apparently a lot darker.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby ari-6 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Never read the manga. Is it much different than the anime?

Haruko is best character

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:43 pm

It's weird in a good way. Haruko is the best, I agree.
Never anger a magician

Postby ari-6 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:46 pm

I love the sequence where she tries to get him to take the bandage of his head in the first episode, it really stands out in my memory for some reason.

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:48 pm

She reminds me of The Doctor. They're both crazy alien in which trouble follows.
Never anger a magician

Postby ari-6 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:02 pm

The Doctor? They are both fast talking aliens who are more than just a little mad. But I think the similarities stop there. I can't really think of a character who I would compare her to at the moment. I am sure I will think of one though.

Postby MERASMUS! » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Yeah, it is pretty hard to find someone to compare to haruko unless he or she is an alien.
Never anger a magician

Postby ari-6 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:56 pm

I was thinking Haruhi Suzumiya, but Haruko is definitely another step up on the crazy ladder. I am sure there are many characters like her (She fits pretty perfectly into the manic pixy dream girl trope) But I have not seen many of the "Boy meets girl. Girl is an alien" genre. Although once I started thinking of those kind of anime specifically I realised Nyaruko also is very similar.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:35 am

A friend of mine actually asked me yesterday if FLCL did indeed have a plot. And even though I know how to explain it, it felt kind of surreal to even do that. Mostly the show is obscure randomness and in the seams are bits of plot, yet more or less the randomness is going to stand out more so the plot doesn't feel all that important. But it's there. It has an actual meaning behind why things are happening, but you wouldn't think that the first time you watch it.

Can't think of a show where there's a decent plot to a story with it all being shadowed enough by everything else in it that it makes talking about said plot feel weird.

EDIT: Also, been watching lately two new anime. Log Horizon, which is on the same lines as .Hack// and SAO taking place in an MMORPG. At first I thought it was only jumping on the bandwagon, but it's pretty good. It sets up its rules nicely and the fight scenes are interesting. What's most interesting is that the main character isn't also the main fighter. He's the guy that comes up with the battle plan. I like smart main characters who aren't cocky. Not as good as SAO, but it's shaping up to possibly come close. The second being Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee. An anime that romanticizes letter delivery to an extreme, but when I was younger the manga really captured me. It's also set in a post apocalyptic world without a sun, but it still has a lot of culture. And you also have giant armored insects that feed off emotions and heart. So... basically they're when SotC Colossi meet Heartless.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby top gear tony » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:07 am

So what's FCL? Sounds kinda like Sowrd Art

Also Ari this week's anime is the rest of Black Lagoon Robertos Blood Trail and the first three eps of season one.

Postby ari-6 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:09 pm

It is not really anything like SAO. I would say it is definitely worth watching. And it is only 6 eps so it would not take too long.

Thanks for the heads up I set it up to record just last night. I really hope they do not just decide to air the rest of Black lagoon in story arks.

Postby Mir@k » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:33 pm

What sites do you guys use to watch anime?
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MERASMUS! » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:44 pm

I dunno, I use crunchyroll on my phone.
Never anger a magician

Postby Hallow Nova » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:55 pm

I use different sites for different anime.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
plop
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter