Dinner and a movie.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Dinner and a movie.

Postby Johnny Vill » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:24 am

Ok, so I suppose I'll owe the dinner at a later date, but for now, let's discuss movies. We've been listing books and such that everyone should read, but how about movies? And take into consideration that many people have already seen plenty of Vin Diesel movies and such, so the focus should probably be movies people may not have seen. Doesn't have to be obscure indie film, but you know.

Happiness (1998) Directed by Todd Solondz -- If you're into movies about how messed up some people's lives are, this one is good. Not a happy film, by any means. I found myself thinking "What the hell did I just sit through" by the end. F'ed up movie.

Ong-Bak (2003) Directed by ... Oh, who cares, it's starring Tony Jaa -- Do you like martial arts movies? Then why the hell have you not seen this? Tony Jaa is a the super saiyan love child of Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee. He does all his own stunts, no wires, no CG. He kicks someone while his LEGS are on FIRE. Go see. Now.

Tom Yum Goong (2005) Again with the Tony Jaa -- You may see this advertised as "The Protector". That was already the title of a Jackie Chan movie, so I'm not calling it that. More awesome Jaa action. Basically the same story as Ong Bak, but about elephants this time. And in this one, he breaks about 50 people in one scene.

Townies (1999) Directed by Wayne A. Harold -- This is not a good movie. But... I like it. It's... charmingly bad. It's about the several freaks that inhabit this one town, and their exploits and interactions with other people. Kinda slow, all in black and white, pretty bad acting. But... I dunno, I enjoyed it. There are several movies by this title, though. Beware.

Also beware, because when my friend got the movie, it was bundled with four other movies, one of which is called Eddie Presley. DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE. You wait and wait and wait for it to pick up, and it never does. It's boring, annoying, and doesn't go anywhere. My friend went insane while watching it. He began laughing at NOTHING. Uncontrollably. Beware.

That's all I can think of for now.
Well, I believe in God, and he's told me this. Things lying around were left for us to take.
Long before they were bought, just as they were made, ours to enjoy and

Not. To. Pay.

Postby Aneri » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:20 pm

I'm recommending Serenity. Such a shock, I know XD

Anyway, the film has amazing characters, an astounding story, and a beautiful look. Future meets old Westerns kinda thing. Good old fashioned fighting, guns, and crazy people. See it, it's definately worth it ^_^

Hmm...that's it really XD I'm more of a book person...
"I'm all out. What do ya got?" "A utility belt full of crap and a positive outlook?"

Re: Dinner and a movie.

Postby Grey » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:43 pm

Monty Python and Now For Something Completely Different.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Monty Python and the Meaning of Life.
Monty Python and the Life of Brian.
Shaun of the Dead.

All of the above, for being hilarious.
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Acktoo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:50 pm

Just a few...

Ghostbusters 1 & 2, The Mummy Returns, Spaceballs, The Incredibles, Gremlins 1 & 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 & 2...

They're all awesome.
Too good for you.

Postby Mr. Mono » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:51 pm

Jacob´s Ladder: For being the father of head seizures and disturbing psycological imagery and plot, plus human demons.

Hero: Fucking beautiful chinese movie and plot, combined with superb scenery and containing interesting political themes.

I got more, but I cant remember them at the moment.

Postby Noir » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:53 pm

The City Of Lost Children - It's French, but it's gooooood . . . Even the dubbing is pretty good. Dark, and disturbing, it's still a pretty moving and sometimes pretty damn funny. Stunning visuals.

Spirited Away - I love movies that take me somewhere else (just look at the one above this). Amazing, just amazing. I swear I've had dreams like this.

American Beauty - Are you starting to notice a bit of a trend? Damn me and my artsy movies. Good visuals, great story. There is a lot of this I identify on at least some level if not all. Please check it out if you haven't already.

Location: Wait, wait, don't tell me . . . I KNOW I know the answer to this one . . .

Postby Glahardt » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:03 pm

Johnny Vill wrote:Ong-Bak (2003) Directed by ... Oh, who cares, it's starring Tony Jaa -- Do you like martial arts movies? Then why the hell have you not seen this? Tony Jaa is a the super saiyan love child of Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee. He does all his own stunts, no wires, no CG. He kicks someone while his LEGS are on FIRE. Go see. Now.

Tom Yum Goong (2005) Again with the Tony Jaa -- You may see this advertised as "The Protector". That was already the title of a Jackie Chan movie, so I'm not calling it that. More awesome Jaa action. Basically the same story as Ong Bak, but about elephants this time. And in this one, he breaks about 50 people in one scene.
Yay Tony Jaa.
Hmmm... Movies...

Appleseed - Sci-fi anime-ish 3D movie, based on one of Shirow Masamune's work.

V for Vendetta - Need I say more?

Postby The Lost » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:14 pm

Movies...

Well, Like Spirited Away, One Of My Favourite Movies is

Princess Mononoke... or however u spell it
X~ Lost ~X

Eternal Damnation... A World Away

Postby k-hallowseve » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:43 pm

A Beautiful Mind - Schizophrenia at its finest.

Ghost in the Shell - Hooray for intelligent anime.

Rainman - I love movies with psychological themes. Dustin Hoffman and autism.

And I agree with 'Spirited Away' and 'Princess Mononoke'--anything by Mayazaki, really.

National Treasure - Indiana Jones-style action fic with lots of American history referencing. I liked it, anyway.

I heard good things about 'Serenity', but I haven't seen it yet (I'm a loser with no rental money XD).
I'm not dead! I'm getting better... >.>
----
Þæt fram hám gefrægn Higeláces þegn
gód mid Géatum, Grendles daéda•
sé wæs moncynnes mægenes strengest
on þaém dæge þysses lífes
æþele ond éacen•
----
Elemental Academy CS #1, #2 | X Institute CS #1, #2 | Totem RP CS
The wandering hobo.

Postby Glahardt » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:55 pm

*Checking DVD collection*
OK... Um...

Click(OK, no DVD yet, but I love this movie *sniff*) - Lots of humor, and the most important lesson in life.

Steamboy - Steam... Why do people like steam based sci-fi so much?

Postby Geno » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:32 pm

Donnie Darko- The trippy kind of movie that is both immensely entertaining and forces you to think to understand the plot. It involves a kid who may or may not have paranoid schizophrenia. He has visions of a demonic bunny who tells him the world is going to end. He begins to have more visions and the line between reality and hallucination in the movie is blurred. It's really weird, but it's good. Lots of symbolism and existentialist themes going on. You may not have any clear idea what's going on until 30 minutes after the movie ends or after a second viewing, but the film never takes things so far as to make it unenjoyable (In other words, it's not like the ending of Matrix Reloaded, which was both boring and nonsensical). Check it out. It's good.

Fight Club- A classic. Many philosophical and psychological elements. The great kind of movie that has a twist at the end that makes you rethink the entire plot...but actually makes sense.

O Brother, Where Art Thou- A very funny movie based on Homer's Odyssey, but takes place in Depression Era America, involving escaped convicts searching for a way home...see? I've made it sound so weird that now you have to go see it (if you haven't already).

And I'm also going to say Serenity is a good movie. If you haven't seen it already after all these positive comments and still don't want to see it, then congratulations! You lose!

Anyway, thats all I can think of right now.
Endling wrote:I'm the best at being modest. Ever.

Postby Wazit » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:22 am

Hell, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away is awesome. So is Steam Boy. *cough*

Postby Jormungandr » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:15 pm

Nosferatu-F.W. Murnau's greatest film and IMHO the best silent film ever made. Max Shrek gives the best performance of any actor in a vampire movie EVER, he looks creepy as hell. The fact that this movie is still disturbing in 2006 when it was made in 1923 is a testament to its preemminence in the horror genre.

Funfact-Murnau didn't get permission from Bram Stoker's estate to make this film and he did not make huge plot variations from Dracula. Murnau and the company making the film were sued for copywrite infringement by Stoker's estate and widow, who won. All copies of the film were ordered destroyed, but as it had already been distributed worlwide, many survived.
Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.-J. Robert Oppenheimer, leader of the Manhattan Project

Postby Wazit » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:07 pm

Howl's Moving Castle, I want to add

Postby Darkness_calls » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:06 pm

Funny how I've seen almost everything anyone has mentioned here :O

So a lil list;
Princess Mononoke
O Brother, Where Art Thou
Ghost in the Shell (My favorite)
Boondogs Saints (I think it is written like that)
Snatch
V for Vendetta (auto win ?)
Kiss kiss Bang bang
Spaceballs
Shaun of the Dead
Hellsing (The new Ultimate OVA is the single best of the best in the WORLD!!!)
Trigun
Ranma (simply for the complexness and outstanding humor)

Return to EverAfter