The madness begins - Page 24

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby aznpuffyhair » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:48 pm

Oh yeah, speakin gof EALH, how many people r there now?
There is really nothing to say... or worth saying.

Postby Glahardt » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:58 pm

Dunno. I've been lazy. It's 3 am now, gotta sleep.

Re: The madness begins - Page 24

Postby InDenialAboutEverything » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:11 pm

You can't get all freaked out 'cause someone compares your work to someone else's. I mean, that has more to do with THEM, then with you. It doesn't mean what you've drawn is so similar, it's just the first thing that THEY think of. I mean, I could say that the cool intricateness of the handle of the blade reminds me of my grandma's glasses (I could but I won't 'cause it doesn't) but that wouldn't mean I thought you stole it from my grandma, having not known her. That would just be the first thing I thought of. So don't worry about it one iota.

However, those jackasses who accuse you of stuff? They're just plain idiots. And you wouldn't want an idiot for a fan anyway.

Postby Endling » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:42 pm

Ninjachick4 wrote:Naruto? Kingdom Hearts?
Geeze, I was thinking Bible the whole time. Rosey and Posey are not the Arbaic verisons of St. Kriznes and Luntriz?
...Oh! I guess it ALL comes down to what you know.
Scary Girl with lots of eyeliner who looks like she hasn't slept in forever = Garra? I would have said Edward Sissor Hands due to the pale look she has and the saw for the slice and dice. Throw in some Nightmare On Elm Street Kazy Krugar and you've got yourself a Red. Lol. But that's how I see all that.
My opion is- you can't get away from it End. There's just NO WAY. Everything realates to something like you said. If you've given Red a wand that would have been to close to Harry Potter. If Red was really Blue, I would say Zelda's Link. Just try to stay away from the grand ideas, which you didn't do here btw!

What happend to Red's kick ass normal huge saw blade of jaggadness? That was orginal cause it was JUST the tool saw, raw, rather than now. No razzel dazzel, no magical know-how behind it, no Gods or Godess behind the creation of it. Just a weapon weilded by a cranky pants girl with murder on the mind. Now you've made it into a sword. How come?

But non the less! It's people's POV. Alls I know is that I love this page and I can't wait to see what the chains are!!!

Heh heh. Her normal kick ass saw blade of jaggedness was kind of mundane, to me. I like stuff that looks more unique. Besides which.. there IS a story behind the saw itself, sorry to disappoint, heh, but it was always a part of the plot itself. It's not huge, but there's a part of the story that addresses it.
And it's not really a sword either. The only thing that changed since the prologue is it's less jagged and there's a carving on the handle. But it's still in the works, really. Actually I meant to address that in a future post, haha, because people are going to be like 'It changed AGAIN!?' a few pages down, but yes, sure enough it does, so you'll all have to deal with it, till I can go back and make the necessary edits. :)

All right, actually, I drew up an example:

Now keep in mind here folks, I don't WANT something conventional or at all logical in terms of a weapon. I just want her to be able to look like she's wielding it convincingly.

1. An example of the handle in the middle I was talking about, so it would basically be held like a sword, only she would probably use both hands on various parts of the handles to manipulate the blade in a variety of ridiculous ways. Heh.

2. An example of what the sawblade will look like in about three more pages. (I told you Everafter was an experiment! Expect a lot of rough cut changes in the beginning folks! I'm hoping to have it all hashed out in the first chapter, it would just be inappropriate to keep switching things around afterwards. At least then if it ever goes to.. publishing or something, I could just alter the first chapter accordingly.) This is the same design as on the left, a handle in the middle.

3. Another design that mixed the saw and giant blade type of weaponry, with a re-design on the wolf hilt. Which, actually, as awesome as I think a wolf hilt would be, may just be too complicated looking to keep on.

4. The design I'm leaning more towards, a two-handed approach that CAN be wielded with one hand as well, but only in long swings with a lot of 'umph' behind them. Below this is an example of a swing, heh.

5. More experiments with counter weights and handles and such.

6. Some bizarre ass design where her hand is actually inside the hilt itself.

Again. I like the weapon to be a bit unwieldy and strange to the viewer. This way Red will clearly have some weaknesses in terms of her manuevering with the blade. A character isn't interesting without weaknesses, or their fighting style, as it were. :)

Postby Geno » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:55 pm

I would also think that the idea of the weapon being hard to wield is cool.

It would sorta be a kind of symbolism as well. It is hard to use as a good weapon and no person in their right mind would want to use it, thinking it is inferior. However, Red (I imagine) would eventually learn to wield it to outfox people with more mundane, conventional weapons. That what we perceive to be bizarre and inadequate turns out to be something that has transcended the power and art of using weapons like standard swords and firearms. Much like Red, the saw is rough, strange, and unstable, but there is strength behind it that is buried beneath the surface.

Or maybe that whole perception is just a coincidence. I just like it when the tools/weapons characters use reveal something about them.
Endling wrote:I'm the best at being modest. Ever.

Postby Snake Chomper » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:27 pm

It wasn't the saw that made me think Kingdom Hearts, but the dialogue. "Don't fear, you have the power inside of you."

I thought of it not as ripping off but rather poking fun at KH. Instead of having the Disney/Yugioh "oh I must trust in myself and my weapon," it's simply "hey here's a giant freaking saw, now kill everybody."

And the only problem I have with the saw is that in the opening pages Red slashed through people like she was wielding a sword, whereas a normal saw would need to be impaled and then carved through the body. Though I guess that would take too long and be too gruesome.

And with number 6, it looks as if she could fire the thing, like a spring-loaded weapon. I don't know how that would work.

Postby Endling » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:27 pm

Geno wrote:I would also think that the idea of the weapon being hard to wield is cool.

It would sorta be a kind of symbolism as well. It is hard to use as a good weapon and no person in their right mind would want to use it, thinking it is inferior. However, Red (I imagine) would eventually learn to wield it to outfox people with more mundane, conventional weapons. That what we perceive to be bizarre and inadequate turns out to be something that has transcended the power and art of using weapons like standard swords and firearms. Much like Red, the saw is rough, strange, and unstable, but there is strength behind it that is buried beneath the surface.

Or maybe that whole perception is just a coincidence. I just like it when the tools/weapons characters use reveal something about them.

:D Well put.

Snake Chomper wrote:And with number 6, it looks as if she could fire the thing, like a spring-loaded weapon. I don't know how that would work.

You don't know how it would work that she could fire it like a spring loaded weapon..?

..Well that wasn't the intention to begin with so I wouldn't ponder it too hard, haha.

Postby Johnny Vill » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:00 pm

Snake Chomper wrote:And the only problem I have with the saw is that in the opening pages Red slashed through people like she was wielding a sword, whereas a normal saw would need to be impaled and then carved through the body. Though I guess that would take too long and be too gruesome.

Take into consideration that she was fighting nurses with guns in order to attack an eggman before being kicked in the head by a cat with boots on. I think how she managed to cut through people with a saw should be the last question on anyone's mind. ;)

And you wouldn't want an idiot for a fan anyway.

I would. Idiots are easy to make money off of. ::coughscientologycough::

And by the way, Mr. Endling. I think design number 6 is my favorite. That one immediately drew my attention.

And Aneri, I like the drawing. It's funny to watch this place go from a generic forum when it had just started, to a place with a personality of its own, with quirks and such.
Well, I believe in God, and he's told me this. Things lying around were left for us to take.
Long before they were bought, just as they were made, ours to enjoy and

Not. To. Pay.

Postby Glahardt » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:31 pm

Geno wrote:I would also think that the idea of the weapon being hard to wield is cool.
Interesting... But you know, not all of them look inferior though. Ah... Gally's blades, they're hard to use but deadly, they also look deadly.
[FYI, Gally is the main character of the manga, Gunnm]
Snake Chomper wrote:with number 6, it looks as if she could fire the thing, like a spring-loaded weapon. I don't know how that would work.
Shoot the eyes out?
*Shoot 'em in the head*
Endling wrote:I told you Everafter was an experiment! Expect a lot of rough cut changes in the beginning folks!
How about letting it have the ability to change shapes?
*magical*

Added after 13 minutes:

BTW, Everafter RP by BG07 :P
Most characters are OCs, so don't expect too much.

Postby BG07 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:52 pm

Glahardt... why?... as if I didn't have enough things to worry about as is...

Anywho... I had a little idea about the weapon that could give it a more unrealistic feel to it... you could make the blade edges a bit more jaggedy, not as uniform as a normal saw would be... I think it would be a pretty interesting thing to see, a magical saw with seemingly dulled edges that can cut through things quite easily.

Postby Glahardt » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:01 pm

Well........... I thought we'd share it anyway. I don't think End had read it... So, would you like me to remove it?

Postby BG07 » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:10 pm

No... it's ok... and I do think he's already seen it...

Postby nogitsune » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:14 pm

i think 3 looks the coolest to me

Postby Snake Chomper » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:44 pm

[quote="Glahardt"]Shoot the eyes out?
*Shoot 'em in the head*

Bitch, he killed your parents! Shoot him in the head! SHOOT HIM IN THE HEAD!

But what I meant was that a saw is flat at the end, so it wouldn't cut like a pointed object.

Postby Firespirit » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:19 am

Another great page, I can't wait for the next one. Well, off to another week of wondering how cool this Red will look sawing stuff to pieces.
Human Stupidity is an amazing natural phenomenon.

Postby k-hallowseve » Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:31 am

The different saw designs each have their own endearing little elements...very cool.

I kinda like the fact that this comic is in the experimental phase--we get to see the process. I like watching the comic evolve.
I'm not dead! I'm getting better... >.>
----
Þæt fram hám gefrægn Higeláces þegn
gód mid Géatum, Grendles daéda•
sé wæs moncynnes mægenes strengest
on þaém dæge þysses lífes
æþele ond éacen•
----
Elemental Academy CS #1, #2 | X Institute CS #1, #2 | Totem RP CS
The wandering hobo.

Postby Wazit » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:43 am

Snake Chomper wrote:
Glahardt wrote:Shoot the eyes out?
*Shoot 'em in the head*

Bitch, he killed your parents! Shoot him in the head! SHOOT HIM IN THE HEAD!

But what I meant was that a saw is flat at the end, so it wouldn't cut like a pointed object.

You make me want to watch the video again

Postby Sentios » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:36 am

Ah I see what ya meant by handle in the middle End, thought you meant vvvv-vvvv.

As for the 6 drawings...

4 or 6 are fine.

Though 6 is by far the better weapon in terms of praciticality. Because the hand is enclosed you have less risk of accidentally letting go (you'd have to rotate your hand because the inside wouldn't be big enough to extend your fingers completely, hence your finger tips would catch the handle) and at the same time your hand is protected.

<- RPs too much o.o
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Glahardt » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:23 am

Sentios wrote:Because the hand is enclosed you have less risk of accidentally letting go (you'd have to rotate your hand because the inside wouldn't be big enough to extend your fingers completely, hence your finger tips would catch the handle) and at the same time your hand is protected.
That greatly reduces maneuverability of the weapon, making it almost impossible for the wielder to perform at full efficiency.

Postby Sentios » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:50 pm

True indeed but maneuverabilty does you no good if your hand is removed or you lose hold of your weapon. It's just a matter of preference I suppose.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Endling » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:22 pm

Johnny Vill wrote:And by the way, Mr. Endling. I think design number 6 is my favorite. That one immediately drew my attention.

Thank you for the input, Mr. Vill. :D I think I may actually put the design up to a vote over at DA. I dunno. I'm leaning towards 4 myself, because I would like a lot of two-handed swings that 6 wouldn't make as easy. I dunno, I'm not FULLY happy with any just yet.. still need to mix and match. I love unorthodox fighting styles in kung fu movies (as I'm sure you realize), and it'd be cool if Red could whirl the blade around without actually having her hand on the handle, instead swinging it around her elbow/arms in circles while in midair or.. well it's far harder to describe in words than pictures, haha. I'll guess I'll just develop the style as it goes along.

Glahardt wrote:BTW, Everafter RP by BG07 Razz
Most characters are OCs, so don't expect too much.

..an Everafter RP? How curious.

Postby Ninjachick4 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:50 pm

I would love to see 3 being used! It gives off that 'this is way too big to be used normally' feel and it dosn't have that 'keyblade' fell with having the handle in the middle. Score x 2. Still looks a saw...of uberness.
But 6 is also an idea i've never seen before. INSIDE the sword and not inside a robot as a weapon....nice.

Postby Mango » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:02 pm

I like both 3 and 4, but 4 is definetly my favorite :O I can just imagine her being like BAM! SAW! you know? >.> like doin some crazy powerful 2h-swings.
As for how she gets the saw, I remember that deviation saying she grabbed it and killed the ...what was he... lumberjack dude with it. Or has it changed? D:
Lookin forward to the new saw pages XD they all look good, really. though 6 confuses me.

Postby Wazit » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:25 am

I prefer design 4, just like how a reeal saw is used

Postby k-hallowseve » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:47 am

If I had to narrow them down, my vote's for either 4 or 5 (depending on the number of hands she uses to weild it), but that's just a humble opinion. 6 is cool, but there is the question of manuverability.
I'm not dead! I'm getting better... >.>
----
Þæt fram hám gefrægn Higeláces þegn
gód mid Géatum, Grendles daéda•
sé wæs moncynnes mægenes strengest
on þaém dæge þysses lífes
æþele ond éacen•
----
Elemental Academy CS #1, #2 | X Institute CS #1, #2 | Totem RP CS
The wandering hobo.

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter