Ye Olde MMORPG thread.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Wazit » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:37 pm

I prefer mages, all those uber powerful spells at your fingertips :D

Re: Ye Olde MMORPG thread.

Postby gambare » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:27 pm

if you want to roll a warrior in wow prepare to suck at PvP, but with a warrior you got the main roll of take care of all your party, the work as a main tank in raids and instances is the most dificult of all, and the most fun, if you want to stay behind the lines but always be wanted for every group, roll a priest, if you want to PWN at PvP, roll a shaman (horde, but is near the release of the expansion, so you can roll it on the alliance), or a warlock, they rule in PvP, and rogues too, but at least on my server there is a overpopulation of rogues and everybody hates them, or you can be a hybrid class that works for everything like pallies and druids, mages are the top notch of DPS classes, but they are cocky and hated by the non-caster classes.

I personally recomend you to roll a horde, they rock, usually alliance is full of wussies and kids, so avoid alliance unless you like night elves ;)
It's a mistery, wrapped in a enigma, baked with a fluffy crust of what the hell?

Postby WiNg0o » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:01 am

I like being a Dark Knight in FFXI, lots of attack, minimal defence, and a little black magic. I never have to be a tank, you'de be stupid for making me, and I deal lots of damage.......paladins suck....
I Killed the Boss

Postby Wazit » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:02 am

Looks like healers are not particularly famous here. And they are one of the most sought after in guilds

Postby WiNg0o » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:54 am

New MMOs need to take the suck away from melee classes. Cloud is melee, and he kicks much ass.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Wazit » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:02 am

Hey is melee characters can jump as high, move as fast, and has a big ass sword with the cool attitude like that, everyone would be a melee

Postby k-hallowseve » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:13 pm

I think there are two main reasons why melee isn't that great in MMOs. First, the developers tried to balance out the melee and magic classes, and overcompensated. Magic users may have lower hp, but melee characters have to run right up to them to do any damage, and if it's a powerful spellcaster, it's going to be an awfully dangerous run.

Second, there isn't enough room for customization. In MMOs, tanks are just that--tanks. High hp, high damage ratios, slow and built for plowing. But classes shouldn't be that cut-and-dry. I play DnD, and I almost always play as a fighter. But I emphasize my dexterity and reflex stats, so I end up with a very agile fighter (my epic level fighter is practically a ninja at this point). Sometimes I throw a spell or two in for spice. I like to balance my characters, and MMOs don't really allow for that.

RPGs shouldn't be limited to brutish melees and (physically) weak spellcasters and rogues.
I'm not dead! I'm getting better... >.>
----
Þæt fram hám gefrægn Higeláces þegn
gód mid Géatum, Grendles daéda•
sé wæs moncynnes mægenes strengest
on þaém dæge þysses lífes
æþele ond éacen•
----
Elemental Academy CS #1, #2 | X Institute CS #1, #2 | Totem RP CS
The wandering hobo.

Postby Darkness_calls » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:09 pm

k-hallowseve wrote:I think there are two main reasons why melee isn't that great in MMOs. First, the developers tried to balance out the melee and magic classes, and overcompensated. Magic users may have lower hp, but melee characters have to run right up to them to do any damage, and if it's a powerful spellcaster, it's going to be an awfully dangerous run.

Second, there isn't enough room for customization. In MMOs, tanks are just that--tanks. High hp, high damage ratios, slow and built for plowing. But classes shouldn't be that cut-and-dry. I play DnD, and I almost always play as a fighter. But I emphasize my dexterity and reflex stats, so I end up with a very agile fighter (my epic level fighter is practically a ninja at this point). Sometimes I throw a spell or two in for spice. I like to balance my characters, and MMOs don't really allow for that.

RPGs shouldn't be limited to brutish melees and (physically) weak spellcasters and rogues.

I couldn 't agree more!!

For what you said here I am going to luv you ;)
I do exacly the same, agile fighter. Most often a archer.
Since Fighter Archer > Ranger in my oppinion.

Haleluja, RPG games (excluding those created from DnD) most often suck...

Postby k-hallowseve » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:41 pm

I couldn 't agree more!!

For what you said here I am going to luv you
I do exacly the same, agile fighter. Most often a archer.
Since Fighter Archer > Ranger in my oppinion.

Haleluja, RPG games (excluding those created from DnD) most often suck...

Aww, I love you, too, DC. *laughs* But yes, fighters, to me, have the most potential for customization. An archer/fighter probably would be better than a ranger--rangers and rogues in DnD have the minor problem of not allowing the player to choose the majority of their feats. That annoys me to no end.

And yes, most non-DnD based games have an annoying lack of character depth--DnD just does it better. Though I would say The Elder Scrolls series allows for limitless customization, too. You'd probably like them (if you haven't already played them).
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby Wazit » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:37 pm

k-hallowseve wrote: Magic users may have lower hp, but melee characters have to run right up to them to do any damage, and if it's a powerful spellcaster, it's going to be an awfully dangerous run.

Second, there isn't enough room for customization. In MMOs, tanks are just that--tanks. But classes shouldn't be that cut-and-dry.

This few sentences caught my attention. Nice one!

Postby k-hallowseve » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:06 am

Thanks. I'm glad my little theories made sense; but yeah, that's the pattern that has stood out to me in the RPG world. And it just doesn't have to be that way.
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby WiNg0o » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:01 pm

MMO's need to be more like Kingdom Hearts, melee classes would actually stand a freaking chance.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Wazit » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:28 am

You mean able to combine with others to float? :D

Postby WiNg0o » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:19 am

That would be nice, but being able to jump and do combos is what I was talking about.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Wazit » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:52 am

Every melee can jump. In fact you see players jumping everywhere they go. But combos would be nice...

Re: Ye Olde MMORPG thread.

Postby Acktoo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:57 am

All I have to say about MMORPGs is: 'I want a damn block/dodge BUTTON!'

Not just % chance to block/dodge.

I haven't played WoW in nearly a month (Took a temporary haitus until TBC), and I really don't miss it. I may consider quitting the game altogether, especially if I get better at art.
Too good for you.

Postby k-hallowseve » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:43 pm

A block button would be nice. I'd like more streamlined controls altogether. I'd like to play an MMO that feels like more a single player--less clunky controls and better fluidity overall. If there was anything that really, really annoyed me about WoW, it was the clumsy controls. (and rigid classes, of course)
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby Acktoo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Yeah, there's definitely that.
Too good for you.

Postby k-hallowseve » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:00 pm

Someday, somewhere, someone will perfect the MMO. *sigh*

To any future/prospective game developers: you'll get rich off that idea. We'll love you forever if you pull it off. :D
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby WiNg0o » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:42 pm

In the future, I will create the most ultimate MMO ever, but for now I still need to get through my freshman year. And MMO's need to be more skill based, if you were to take the Kingdom Hearts platform, make some changes, it could be quite nice.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Wazit » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:07 pm

In the future, the developer may be one of us lol

Postby Darkness_calls » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:52 am

k-hallowseve wrote:Aww, I love you, too, DC. *laughs* But yes, fighters, to me, have the most potential for customization. An archer/fighter probably would be better than a ranger--rangers and rogues in DnD have the minor problem of not allowing the player to choose the majority of their feats. That annoys me to no end.

And yes, most non-DnD based games have an annoying lack of character depth--DnD just does it better. Though I would say The Elder Scrolls series allows for limitless customization, too. You'd probably like them (if you haven't already played them).

;) and yes once more I agree

I've played Elder Scrolls, and must say it was surprisingly good. Well I... take characters really seriously, I once made a character which was a total coward... really funny to play him. I'm saying here when I create a personality for a character, I stick with it even though it means killing the char.

In the future, I will create the most ultimate MMO ever, but for now I still need to get through my freshman year. And MMO's need to be more skill based, if you were to take the Kingdom Hearts platform, make some changes, it could be quite nice.

I would rather say a better detailed (if posible) Oblivion would be better place to start with rather then kingdom hearts.

All I have to say about MMORPGs is: 'I want a damn block/dodge BUTTON!'

Not just % chance to block/dodge.

Hell yeah, that would be nice, then one could actually do more in combat.
Why can't the battles be like in Jedi Academy :D

Postby Wazit » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:13 am

If all MMOs were like Oblivion.... and all melee fights were like lightsaber battles... I got an inspiration! :P

Postby Darkness_calls » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:38 pm

Well screw all games and all ideas... A well made Fallout MMO would win all that there is to win (insult the greatness that is Fallout (1 or 2) then I shal hunt thee down and burn you slowly!

Postby WiNg0o » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:16 pm

Or make an MMO like God of War, NO ONE IS SAFE!!!
I Killed the Boss

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter