Ye Olde MMORPG thread.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Geno » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:58 pm

The biggest problem I have with MMORPGs is that there is no ultimate reward for reaching the end. With regular RPGs, there is a story. If you get far enough, you find out what happens, you reach the end, and you feel good about yourself. With MMORPGs, if you reach the level cap, you get anywhere near the satisfaction. You reach the end and the payoff isn't worth it at all. You work you ass off to reach the Wizard and you find out it's just some short fucker behind a curtain.

MMORPGs are really a sad trap when you look at it that way.
Endling wrote:I'm the best at being modest. Ever.

Postby Astral » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:11 pm

Geno wrote:The biggest problem I have with MMORPGs is that there is no ultimate reward for reaching the end. With regular RPGs, there is a story. If you get far enough, you find out what happens, you reach the end, and you feel good about yourself. With MMORPGs, if you reach the level cap, you get anywhere near the satisfaction. You reach the end and the payoff isn't worth it at all. You work you ass off to reach the Wizard and you find out it's just some short fucker behind a curtain.

MMORPGs are really a sad trap when you look at it that way.

Well just about all the ones I've played simply because both myself and my friend Rob decided to play it together. Its kinda like a Co-Op game but nearly without end, simply because we never get to the high levels before we switch to something else and give that a go instead.
Now you're just being silly.

Location: In my dark room, along with chillyconcarnie and a bottle of Jack-Dannials

Postby Geno » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:25 pm

That is a good point and I will admit it's fun to play with people you know in real life. If you can moderate how much you play it, thats fine. I'm was mainly talking about the people who play it to more...excessive extents. You know, like people in WoW who try to get shit obsessively.

Besides, I was just talking about my own personal preference. I'm a stickler for storyline in RPGs, since I'm a fan of games with deep plots like Xenogears or Chrono Trigger, and MMOs don't have very developed stories. I know the quests and history of the world are put in the game, but it lacks emotional content and instead has heavy social content. Now, there nothing wrong with socializing in game, it's just that I usually play games as to escape from real life and enjoy a story.

And having to try to play through Wailing Caverns on three separate occasions, only to have someone in your party be a dumbass and fuck it up isn't exactly what I feel like dealing with if I have the choice to play something with a story, like Okami or something.

And that gets really annoying, cause Wailing Caverns was really fucking long. Anyone whose played on the Horde in WoW knows what I'm talking about.

Seriously. The first time I tried to play through, there was one guy who acted like he was ten years old acting stupid the hunt, and everyone else got pissed off and left. The second time one...total...dick pulled out of our party right when we were about to attack a large turtle (it's called Kresh) who sometimes drops a rare shield when you kill it. He pulled out, attacked it first (making it so he was the only one who could loot it), lured that shit towards us, forcing us to kill it, looted it, and teleported the fuck out. And he was our healer too, that dick. Everyone else got (justifiably) pissed off and left. The third time I had to get out and leave before I had a chance to even fully assemble a party. That's one of the main things that frustrated me.

Especially that second time...that dick.

And that ends Geno's nostalgic WoW rant for today. Tune in next time where I tell people how bad people who play Warsong Gulch are.
Endling wrote:I'm the best at being modest. Ever.

Postby WiNg0o » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:43 am

Dave wrote:I'm starting Phantasy Star Universe tomorrow. Good buy WORLD.

Phantasy Star was as boring as Maple Story *shudder*
I Killed the Boss

Postby Wazit » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:47 am

I got bored of MS eons ago. And what took you so long for your return, wingoo?

Postby WiNg0o » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Holy shit!!! Someone noticed I was gone!!! And I was playing way too much FFXI.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Darkness_calls » Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:22 pm

Hey welcome back WiNg0o!

And Geno. I couldn't agree more. I though Wailing cavers were easy. I got through them the first time without trouble (and I was the damn tank) and the second... the third... and now I solo it just to scrap money from n00bs even though I don't need it <.< (I'm such a meanie). Wow, like all all MMOs, are useless time wasting money rippers! Why play a game with no story line, spend huge amount of money and even more time JUST to reach the level cap to actually do the fun stuff. I really hate MMOs I only play it because most of my friends do... though I only go online... like... two time per week... talk about wasting money.
Again, I mention that I find it an insult to the name RolePlay to call these MMOs... a roleplaying game. I know it plays the basics of roleplaying... but thats it.

Funny why I say all this while playing/had played so many myself (do it for the pureness of PVP)

Postby k-hallowseve » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:02 pm

Warsong Gulch is evil. >.< Those people are vultures, and the Horde never even seemed to organize. I haven't played much, but when I did I definitely didn't have fun dying every two minutes. Gah.

And yeah, my favorite games are the ones with epic stories, like FFVII. My all-time favorite RPG.

Geno mentioned Okami. I WANT that game.
I'm not dead! I'm getting better... >.>
----
Þæt fram hám gefrægn Higeláces þegn
gód mid Géatum, Grendles daéda•
sé wæs moncynnes mægenes strengest
on þaém dæge þysses lífes
æþele ond éacen•
----
Elemental Academy CS #1, #2 | X Institute CS #1, #2 | Totem RP CS
The wandering hobo.

Postby Wazit » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:26 am

Okami is friggin nice. Nice concept and everything. Paint brushes....

Postby k-hallowseve » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:59 pm

I know; it's such an interesting idea. I need to save my money to buy it, and stop wasting it on dumb stuff like school and clothes. Sounds like a good plan.
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby Darkness_calls » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:16 pm

k-hallowseve wrote:Warsong Gulch is evil. >.< Those people are vultures, and the Horde never even seemed to organize.

Warsong Gulch is one of the few enjoyable aspects of tham wasteful game :P
BUt yeah, Horde is much more organized the the kittens (allience). I mean I just recently played warsong gulch five times in a row (and thanks to the damn "wait in line" those five games took forever) and the horde won 0/3, 0/3,1/3,2/3 and lost once with 3/2 ... and the allience outnumbered all the time...

know; it's such an interesting idea. I need to save my money to buy it, and stop wasting it on dumb stuff like school and clothes. Sounds like a good plan.

That is the best plan ever lol

Postby k-hallowseve » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:23 pm

Hmm... maybe I just hit a bad week or something. The Alliance not only outnumbered us, they also worked together a lot better. But that was just my experience, it wouldn't be fair of me to act like I've played it extensively or anything. You've probably played it more than me.

And yes, I should implement that plan soon. School is a scam, anyway. :P
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby WiNg0o » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:03 am

I've only one problem with MMOs, they always make the classes that use great swords suck!! Mages always win.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Wazit » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:35 am

Of course. The school's true goal is to keep us from the computers! Oh the humanity!

Postby azureknight00300 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:29 am

i play GW just got the new one, Nightfall. been playin 7 hours straight....

i also got 30 days of WoW for free cus i won sum contest but havnt used it yet.

I played MS, CoV, Auto Assault, Dofus, Puzzle Pirates, GUnbound, Gunster, Rakion. all that other shit but havnt been playing recently

Postby Wazit » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:53 am

Wow you deserve the title internet game veteran

Re: Ye Olde MMORPG thread.

Postby Bri » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:51 am

as previously stated on this fourm

oblivion = digital crack

Postby Wazit » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:17 pm

Oblivion = not MMORPG :P

Postby WiNg0o » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:58 am

And for all I say......SCREW MAPLE STORY!!! Stay as far away as possible!

Yay!! Outta da system!!
I Killed the Boss

Postby Wazit » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:26 am

FFXI? Never played that since it's expensive :P

Postby Darkness_calls » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:41 am

WiNg0o wrote:I've only one problem with MMOs, they always make the classes that use great swords suck!! Mages always win.

YOU FAIL!

Melee > spells
;)

Postby k-hallowseve » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:07 pm

*laughs* I tend to stray toward tanks myself. Mages are fun, but I find them a little hard to play. Just not my style, I guess.

And Oblivion, (I know, not an MMO) isn't digital crack necessarily--it's too refined. It's more like coke or heroin. I'll need a new computer so I can play it.

*sigh* I need my Elder Scrolls fix.
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby Johnny Vill » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:13 pm

k-hallowseve wrote:*laughs* I tend to stray toward tanks myself. Mages are fun, but I find them a little hard to play. Just not my style, I guess.

And Oblivion, (I know, not an MMO) isn't digital crack necessarily--it's too refined. It's more like coke or heroin. I'll need a new computer so I can play it.

*sigh* I need my Elder Scrolls fix.

I wish I had the time to devote to Oblivion. That series is so wonderful. And so anti-social. For the person who wants to distance themselves so far from the world that even the social aspect of an MMO is too much.

Tanks are fun. Personally, back in my EQ days, I enjoyed my wizard, though. Sit down through half the battle, stand up, blast half the monster's HP away in one spell, sit down and rest. Mwahaha. The rogue was fun, too. Backstabbing and stealing gold.
Well, I believe in God, and he's told me this. Things lying around were left for us to take.
Long before they were bought, just as they were made, ours to enjoy and

Not. To. Pay.

Postby k-hallowseve » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:03 pm

I know. When I play TES, the rest of the world ceases to exist. It's a habit-forming game.

I really like mages, but they're hard for me to play for some reason. I guess I just really like to be in the fray. If I'm sitting back out of the action, I prefer to do it with a sniper rifle. I dunno. I love how powerful mages can become, but I don't like the vulnerability and easy/constant death that comes with lower levels. I fail at life. XD

I like games that allow me to mix spells and melee.

And rogues rule. Every party should always have one. I won't join a party that doesn't.
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Re: Ye Olde MMORPG thread.

Postby gambare » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:08 pm

don't play WoW unless you are strong of will............. got to play WoW cya :)
It's a mistery, wrapped in a enigma, baked with a fluffy crust of what the hell?

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter