Ye Olde MMORPG thread.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Ye Olde MMORPG thread.

Postby Endling » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:58 pm

Titled such because I know I've seen other posts devoted to this sort of thing in other forum areas, but.. hey I'm too lazy to go sifting through those. Besides which, I'm interested to know about the people here in the Everafter forum neighborhood.

(By the way, thank you all for posting. I'm kind of happy the EA forums are their own entity rather than being lumped in with any of the other comics here at Snafu. Feels swanky. :) )

But anyway! Yeah I'm curious.
I'm here stuck at my parents house on chauffeuring duty, but not until they're ready to get picked up. So I've been meandering around on the internet for the past few hours. (And I left my sketchbook at my place, ugh..) My sister was raving about EQ2, so I took a look at it, created some kinda crezzy frog mage for a few minutes, then decided to go looking up some more info on the old addiction..

Y'see I was hooked on Anarchy Online for about two years way back when. The girlfriend and I played nonstop (she nearly played more than I did. Which was kind of scary. Hardcore gamer girls are rare enough.. and this one was actually hot to boot. It's a shame she turned out to be an unstable time bomb, but hey..)

Since quitting that (the game and aforementioned relationship, haha..) way back when, I had only briefly flirted with one other MMO since, that being Guild Wars. Then I got out of that.. so on and so forth. Life does that to you.

But anyway, let me get to the point. (As the folks just phoned and I need to be off.)

Sure, in an ideal world I'd have enough time to actually PLAY a MMORPG, they prove to be pretty nifty in their own right, over console games..

(Consoles.. new consoles coming out.. hm.. well the choice there isn't too hard.. it's just getting the money to afford one.. XD But that's another matter entirely.)

I've found that MMOs are only as good as the people you play with.

So in that vein. Do any of you play an MMO? WoW, Everquest, Guild Wars, etc?

Or am I prattling on in nerdspeak you don't understand? Either way.

Lemme hear your thoughts! Do you like this type of game? Do you play one? Are you thinking about playing one? If you do play an MMO, why do you like it over the others? I've heard so many conflicting reports on WoW, and Final Fantasy XI.. (that game sure looks gorgeous!) ..and of course there's always Everquest II shifting around in the background..

Gimme some information! I'm just curious to see. (And I'd prefer not to launch into this at my DA site, I'll do that when I'm ready to read a hundred different responses and inevitably spark up a flame war.)

Here is much more cozy.

Postby CarrionMan » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:19 pm

Never in a million years. I have lost all respect for you, Endling. [/sarcasm] I dun wana play one.

Re: Ye Olde MMORPG thread.

Postby spazmonkey » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:20 pm

Whenever I play MMO's it cuts into the time I have for other things, like bathing, eating, sleeping, and direct sunlight. I try to avoid them. When I do play them over the summer, I avoid monthly fees, so I only go on free MMO's(which tend to suck).

Whenever I play a MMO, I always find ways to confound people by how badly I manage to screw over my character. For example, I had a level 11 magician on Maple Story and I somehow managed to walk to El Nath. Of course once in El Nath, just leaving the town would make me die in about a minute(even without fighting) and the monsters killed me in one hit. I pretty much abandoned the game after that.
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Postby Glahardt » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Endling wrote:I'm here stuck at my parents house on chauffeuring duty
That's life, eh?

OK, now about MMORPGs, I don't play much, used to play a little of RO though. My sister's playing WoW right now, just because my parents ain't there to stop 'em, they're kinda like control freaks... So... Just wanna ask, did you start playing WoW?

Endling wrote:Here is much more cozy.

You mean : much less attention, right? :P

Added after 2 minutes:

spazmonkey wrote:I had a level 11 magician on Maple Story and I somehow managed to walk to El Nath. Of course once in El Nath, just leaving the town would make me die in about a minute(even without fighting) and the monsters killed me in one hit.
I died five minutes after leaving town, while fighting. I quit after 20 minutes of that game, and when I was trying to get back to it, they changed the log-in system and then I quit for good.

Postby Mango » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:52 pm

Hey-ho endling! long time fan, first time poster! *end retarded radio caller voice*

Ive played FFXI since it came out stateside D: Which is frankly way too long. Yar, it's certainly pretty. Which is why I'd never play WoW >.> it just wouldnt be the same being an ugly elf person. But while ffxi is pretty, it takes sooooo long to get anything done in that game T_T and then if you really wanna end up a pro person you get stuck doing events 6/7 days a week atleast when you join a highlevel group D: overall it's way too time-consuming and such >.> so i wouldnt recommend it. Even though it still holds a special place in my heart. I can sit there fishing for hours Fishing!!!! and find it fun, I'm that stuck on my char.

meanwhile, I'm interested to see what people think of Phantasy Star Universe. It looks really pretty >.>

Postby Lingrem » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:58 pm

hahaha... Shaun... if you really need to play a game with someone, next time I head to my parents I'll grab guild wars. Cause it doesn't cost money :P and we could make new characters since I probably forget how to play anyway.

Resist the temptation! I will so keep repeating that!

Postby Cafei » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:00 pm

Well, I play WoW and at first I was having a great time, but now..eh.

I bought the damn thing to play with my friend who I rarely get to see since I've gone away to college. At first it was great to play a virtually never-ending game with hundreds (and at this point, millions) of other players. But lately, I've been getting annoyed with other and sometimes ruder players. I've had people gank my kills, steal my stuff, and hundreds of horde chase me across entire territories just to taste my blood :( Plus my friend never really plays with me since I'm still about 20 levels lower than her. Not to mention the amount of time WoW demands. I think the longest dungeon runs about 6 hours, and that's with a good group! x_x

Personally, I enjoy console story-based games alot more. (like the Legacy of Kain series and the Silent Hill series) I like the development of characters and deep well-thought storylines, environments, and puzzles. But the best thing about them is that I don't run into any idiots that scream "OMG UR A GURL!" I just wanna play games dammit! DX (I'm not the most social of players ^^; )

Postby Aneri » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:11 pm

I'm poor. What little money I have is spent on trying to keep me in college and not get kicked out XD

Honestly, though, I'm still living off my parents for most things. They're helping out with tuition and all that, and if I tried to get a job, I'd fail. Spectacularly, even. I mean, without a job I'm still struggling to understand rotary motion and angular momentum using calc 2, what little free time I have is between 11pm and 1 am, and I'm a fan of sleep. So no MMO's for me. Lack money and time.

I'm an Age of Empires kinda gal ^_^ I have yet to play it online (even though I own every version, haha), but if there was a game I would play, it'd be that ^_^
"I'm all out. What do ya got?" "A utility belt full of crap and a positive outlook?"

Postby Geno » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:46 pm

WoW is the evil, sinful life blood of Beelzebub himself decoded into a digital entity that praddles on the weak willed and serves only to delay social interaction, destroy progress, and totally fuck you up if you have a project due on Monday over the weekend. It should be avoided unless you know you have a good control over the course of your own life.

Having said that, when I did play it, before dial-up made downloading patches impossible without the aid of a time machine and/or ancient black magic voodoo, I did enjoy it. And if you HAVE to play an MMO, that's definatly the one.

And join the Horde. I liked Taurens for some reason. I'm not sure why.

BUT, you really shouldn't play WoW, cause...you know...life blood of Beelzebub and all that.
Endling wrote:I'm the best at being modest. Ever.

Postby Cafei » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:17 pm

Geno wrote:WoW is the evil, sinful life blood of Beelzebub himself decoded into a digital entity that praddles on the weak willed and serves only to delay social interaction, destroy progress, and totally fuck you up if you have a project due on Monday over the weekend. It should be avoided unless you know you have a good control over the course of your own life.

Having said that, when I did play it, before dial-up made downloading patches impossible without the aid of a time machine and/or ancient black magic voodoo, I did enjoy it. And if you HAVE to play an MMO, that's definatly the one.

And join the Horde. I liked Taurens for some reason. I'm not sure why.

BUT, you really shouldn't play WoW, cause...you know...life blood of Beelzebub and all that.

shhh Don't tell Endling to play, his art and life will end forever! XD

Postby Endling » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:23 pm

CarrionMan wrote:Never in a million years. I have lost all respect for you, Endling. [/sarcasm] I dun wana play one.

You know it's funny, CM, I knew you were going to say that. Haw. XD

Glahardt wrote:So... Just wanna ask, did you start playing WoW?

Friend of mine gave me a free trial so I dipped in for about a day. Haven't played it since. I dunno. WoW may be the best thing on the market by now but.. it's because of that that it just feels kinda.. I don't know. Overused. Almost boring, without even played it much yet. I guess mebbe it's 'cause there's just so much else to be done.

Mango wrote:Hey-ho endling! long time fan, first time poster! *end retarded radio caller voice*

Ive played FFXI since it came out stateside D: Which is frankly way too long. Yar, it's certainly pretty. Which is why I'd never play WoW >.> it just wouldnt be the same being an ugly elf person. But while ffxi is pretty, it takes sooooo long to get anything done in that game T_T and then if you really wanna end up a pro person you get stuck doing events 6/7 days a week atleast when you join a highlevel group D: overall it's way too time-consuming and such >.> so i wouldnt recommend it. Even though it still holds a special place in my heart. I can sit there fishing for hours Fishing!!!! and find it fun, I'm that stuck on my char.

meanwhile, I'm interested to see what people think of Phantasy Star Universe. It looks really pretty >.>

-writes FFXI off his list- Thanks very much for that info, Mango. Games that are too much of a grind, can't do. Would love to HAVE the kind of time to invest in those, 'cause I'm an utter and true geek like that who just loves to collect virtual armor.. (it's a serious illness..) but alas. Life to be had. Thanks for posting!

Postby Axel » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:28 pm

WoW is evil, and it will take your soul....

Yes I'm speaking from experiance.
*Thats just my two cents, which is actualy worth four cents melted down. God Bless America.*

Postby Cafei » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:31 pm

Endling wrote:
CarrionMan wrote:Never in a million years. I have lost all respect for you, Endling. [/sarcasm] I dun wana play one.

You know it's funny, CM, I knew you were going to say that. Haw. XD

Glahardt wrote:So... Just wanna ask, did you start playing WoW?

Friend of mine gave me a free trial so I dipped in for about a day. Haven't played it since. I dunno. WoW may be the best thing on the market by now but.. it's because of that that it just feels kinda.. I don't know. Overused. Almost boring, without even played it much yet. I guess mebbe it's 'cause there's just so much else to be done.

that honestly makes me happy to hear haha

Postby k-hallowseve » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:42 pm

Hmm... I only played WoW while my friend was visiting, but it was fun enough. I didn't care for the controls, but alas; I can't readjust them like I did with Morrowind. It was fun, though. I'd buy it if I actually had money for fees.

And as big of a gaming junkie as I am, it didn't steal my soul and regurgitate it as an unrecognizeable mass of...ectoplasm, I guess. I had fun, and I was able to put it down. Now Morrowind--there's a freaking game that sucked me in and never let go. >.<

If you play WoW, join the Horde. Be undead. Undead is cool. :P
I'm not dead! I'm getting better... >.>
----
Þæt fram hám gefrægn Higeláces þegn
gód mid Géatum, Grendles daéda•
sé wæs moncynnes mægenes strengest
on þaém dæge þysses lífes
æþele ond éacen•
----
Elemental Academy CS #1, #2 | X Institute CS #1, #2 | Totem RP CS
The wandering hobo.

Postby Karang » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:10 am

RF online is a great mmo (with fees)

The pvp battles are always huge, and happen like 3 times a day with like 100ish people killing the other races.

I am loving it, and sooner or later ITS GONNA HAVE SPACE BATTLES TOO.
I stalk these fourms

Location: In glendale California I was born im the phillpines

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:08 am

I'm starting Phantasy Star Universe tomorrow. Good buy WORLD.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Wazit » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:11 am

Oh noes! Never really got hooked really long on MMORPG anyway

Postby Karang » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:21 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CboZMX6QOE

As crazy as it gets every day.
I stalk these fourms

Location: In glendale California I was born im the phillpines

Postby Torgue » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:04 pm

The only MMORPGs I played more than a month are Puzzle Pirates and Dofus.

Postby k-hallowseve » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:54 pm

Endling wrote:Would love to HAVE the kind of time to invest in those, 'cause I'm an utter and true geek like that who just loves to collect virtual armor.. (it's a serious illness..) but alas. Life to be had. Thanks for posting!

I hear ya. -_- collecting armor, weapons, unique items, in-game BOOKS--which I waste hours reading... You know there's something wrong when you spend hours upon hours decorating your house--and enjoy it. There should be a 12-step program for that kind of thing.
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby Wazit » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:10 pm

Yes, sometimes the process of leveling up bores me. Takes such a long time

Postby Glahardt » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:32 am

Not sometimes, most of the time. Seriously, I hate it, unless, of course, I have a party to chat with.
Chat + level up = fun.

Postby Darkness_calls » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:48 am

HAH!

MMO's what a crap. Time consuming an money eating trash. People whom play these are reallu useless bunch of people with no live...

With that said, I play/have played Wow, DaoC, EVE, Ragnarök, DDO and other net gaming.

I hate it when people insult RPG by calling this crap a MMORPG...

Postby k-hallowseve » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:07 pm

I'd agree; they aren't that much like real RPGs. Nothing can replace a massive, gloriously-plotlined, single-player experience.

But MMOs are great for distraction and socializing. If you don't pay attention to all the little brats running around, of course.
----
æþele ond éacen•
----
The wandering hobo.

Postby Astral » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:22 pm

I have sold my soul on verious ocations, most resently to World Of Warcraft.
... please don't hurt me :(
Now you're just being silly.

Location: In my dark room, along with chillyconcarnie and a bottle of Jack-Dannials

Next

Return to EverAfter