Book Recommendations

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Book Recommendations

Postby Bri » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:28 am

Along came a spider - james Patterson
Sharpe novels - Bernard Cromwell
The wheel of time novels - Robert Jordan ( I think)
jurassic park by Micheal Crichton ( the real book not one of the crappy screen play ones)

Postby Glahardt » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:06 am

More manga!
Zetman

Postby Jormungandr » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Non-Manga good books I reccomend:
The House Of The Scorpion-slow at times, but the ending is very good and it contains some interseting points.

The Silmarillion-It reads really wierd, if Tolkeins righting style seemed too wierd for you in the LOTR trillogy, this will be very hard to get through. Parts of it read like the Bible and parts read like a history text book, but if you are a Tolkein fan, you owe it to yourself to read this book; it is like a world history text book combined with several distinct novels that tie together some of the more vague and disparate passages of LOTR and the Hobbit while creating yet more myseries.

All of the short stories of Edgar Allan Poe-there mad tech'this fellow was a goth(not the Germanic tribe which helped to "destroy" Rome) before goths existed.

Mein Kamp and The Communist Manifesto can make interesting reads as well even if you dissagree with their sometimes silly arguements.
Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.-J. Robert Oppenheimer, leader of the Manhattan Project

Postby Cafei » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:31 pm

A trilogy I really enjoyed was the "Abhorsen" series by Garth Nix. The first book is called "Sabriel".

It's basically about necromancers who, instead of raising the dead, lay them to rest. The beginning is kind of confusing since Nix just kind of throws you in there, but the last installment I found extremely entertaining.

Postby Imenak » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:39 pm

Yeah, The Silmarillion is a good read if you're a Tolkien fan. Personally, I could never wrap my head around it because I found it too difficult to read. Anyways, here are some excusions by way of me:

Project ARMs: It's a great manga following the adventures of a young student with an near-robotic arm, who has various kinds of people chasing him down. I think it does really well in concentrating on character development, and the action is not too shabby at all. Best of all, the authors aren't afraid to go pass the cliché. It's my 2nd favorite manga following Death Note.

Battle Royale: If you liked the movie or book, manga's absolutely great. The art is attractive, and it's definitely a good read IMO. It's basically about an entire class that gets taken to an isolated island where they're forced to kill each other off until there's only one remaining.

Count Cain (or Godchild): I've honestly never read it, but my friend highly recommended it to me, and says it's her favorite manga. Wish I could say more <_<;.

Planetes: A very good science fiction read I think. I don't really like the art, but it explores some great themes and is highly accurate in terms of information/science. It's about a man's struggles with himself and his meager job of cleaning up space debris, and his desire to travel to beyond Earth with his own ship. It's only 4 volumes long, so it's pretty short. And it goes slow as well.
"A pistol is a tool to save people. It's not a weapon for murder." "Then save me by killing them!" "That's kinda contradictory..."
My Characters' Endings

Previous

Return to EverAfter