Endling Q & A / Heads up.

A hangout for fans of Endling's EverAfter. You aren't required to talk about the comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Geno » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:15 pm

You know, if I had to pay Endling a dollar for every question I've asked, he might have almost enough money for a Wii by now.

But anyway...

Question #4815162342-B:

Have you ever tried writing something, besides comics? Like, short stories, poems, that sorta thing? I'm just curious.

"I'm just curious" should be on my family crest. Either that or "I'll tell you when I've had enough!"

Speaking of which, did I mention I don't care much for alcohol and think its nothing but a liquid drunken by the ignorant to make them forget they're ignorant?

I'm probably biased about that though for reasons I don't feel like talking about right now.

*cough*

So yeah, how 'bout that...local sports team? They're very...local, aren't they? Yeah...go...them.

Anyway, I'm gonna stop talking, write some more, maybe play some Okami (It's like Zelda, except with a caligraphy brush that kills people...it's different), and then go to bed. Good night, everyone.
Endling wrote:I'm the best at being modest. Ever.

Postby Wazit » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:45 pm

Not just a Wii, Geno. A full PS3

Postby Glahardt » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:47 pm

Geno wrote:You know, if I had to pay Endling a dollar for every question I've asked, he might have almost enough money for a Wii by now.
Actually, a few weeks ago, it'd already be possible.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:13 am

Hmm this question might have already been asked..
But here it goes again..

Endling why would you choose to not colour the Everafter pages when both colouring and shading in differernt black and whites would aproximately take the same time? (not that any of your fans would disagree with not wanting it black and white)

Postby Wazit » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:32 am

Because black and white rulez!

Postby CarrionMan » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:05 am

It's emo. *masochism*

Postby Wazit » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:24 am

Uh yeah, and what CM said implies as well

Re: Heads up.

Postby Dusk_Imp » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:01 am

I like black and white. It gives the comic a traditional comic look and feel to it.
By reading this you promise your soul and first child to me. All babies not ripe and plump are subjected to burnation under the trogdor act of 2003.
The problem is that God gave man a penis and a brain, but only enough blood to run one at a time.

"PPGD Fan"-And Dusk_imp, you too are a riot lol
"Blood Knight"-Dusk_Imp, thanks for making this thread, it's so fun.
:up: :up: :down: :down: :left: :right: :left: :right: B A Select Start

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:16 am

Dusk_Imp wrote:I like black and white. It gives the comic a traditional comic look and feel to it.

Well I had always thought it wasnt traditional.. But more of a Gothic feel.

By the way... The new comic page is up.. <.<

AND IS FRICKING AWESOME!

Postby Geno » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:25 am

I like black and white. It's reminds me of noir movies...well...just the black and white style. If the writing was like old noir movies, that would just be...scary...

"The dark stench of blood and rotting corpses filled the air. The night was darker than the inside of a gun barrel. I'd been searching for the Maltese Wolf for eight weeks now. The saw shook in my hand like a man shook right before the cold hand of death reached down into him and ended him.

"I could feel I was being watched. It could only be him.

"That Crooked Bastard.

"When it comes to being subtile, I'm as good as a giant trying to blend into an ant hill. Subtilty is overrated anyway. Subtilty mattered to absolutley dick when you're surrounded by eight armed men in an alley. Subtilty doesn't help much. I'll take a saw over subtilty anyday.

"I couldn't back out now. Not till I got my hands on the Maltese Wolf. I walked down the shaded alleys.

"Walk down the right back alley in Grimmoire, you can find anything..."

I have far too much free time on my hands.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:40 am

Geno wrote:I like black and white. It's reminds me of noir movies...well...just the black and white style. If the writing was like old noir movies, that would just be...scary...

"The dark stench of blood and rotting corpses filled the air. The night was darker than the inside of a gun barrel. I'd been searching for the Maltese Wolf for eight weeks now. The saw shook in my hand like a man shook right before the cold hand of death reached down into him and ended him.

"I could feel I was being watched. It could only be him.

"That Crooked Bastard.

"When it comes to being subtile, I'm as good as a giant trying to blend into an ant hill. Subtilty is overrated anyway. Subtilty mattered to absolutley dick when you're surrounded by eight armed men in an alley. Subtilty doesn't help much. I'll take a saw over subtilty anyday.

"I couldn't back out now. Not till I got my hands on the Maltese Wolf. I walked down the shaded alleys.

"Walk down the right back alley in Grimmoire, you can find anything..."

I have far too much free time on my hands.

Is it just me, or are you rambling? Or are you quoteing lines from your Everafter Story?

Postby Geno » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:51 pm

No, I just made most of that up off the top of my head.

A couple lines were ripped off the movie Sin City though.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:58 pm

Geno wrote:No, I just made most of that up off the top of my head.

hehe.. you must be pretty good to think things like that just like that..

It was pretty good what you said.

Postby karauma » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:08 pm

wazit_blade wrote:Because black and white rulez!

the ink is black, the page is wh.. oh you were talking about the comic. yeah, I like it in black and white, it gives it a more moody feel.
Bananamancer

Postby Endling » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:24 pm

Glahardt wrote:OK... Here's another...

End, back in college, have you ever selected a subject, then regret selecting that subject somewhere in the middle and dropped it just before the exams? Cuz... I hate Cal 2, I shouldn't have taken Cal 2 since I'm having a short semester, but I screwed up so... Badly.

No, actually. Every class I took at University of the Arts I enjoyed, or at least saw the merit in taking. Some were significantly more boring and less useful to the direction I wanted to take my work, but I never thought about dropping it.

Oh wait no, once I did. A Painting course. I looked over the syllabus and added up how much money it was going to cost me in order to paint with the kind of paints they were asking for, over the course of a year. We're talking moderately sized tubes of paint for $15.95 here. And you were required to buy like a ton of different colors. And your own canvas. Etc, etc.

DROPPED. I went all digital after that. :)

wazit_blade wrote:Best. answer. ever. Oh yeah, how many girlfriends have you got before

Hrm. Seven. Most of which lasted a few months, one of which lasted three years. And no, none of those were 'long distance' internet relationships, haha.

wickedali wrote:Endling why would you choose to not colour the Everafter pages when both colouring and shading in differernt black and whites would aproximately take the same time? (not that any of your fans would disagree with not wanting it black and white)

Speaking from experience, m'dear, coloring and shading in black and white do not take approximately the same amount of time, whatsoever. Black and white does call for a certain amount of attention to be paid so the image doesn't get muddy or confusing, making what you need to stand out stand out, etc. But coloring takes infinitely longer. You need to consider light sources, ambient colors, reflected light, etc.. you need to have a great understanding of color theory to begin with, or else your characters will look completely out of place in their surroundings.. among various other reasons.
But really, it's more than that. I like to retain the old timey feel black and white gives. It's a simple charm. The kind of stuff I grew up with. A lot of western comics have like.. epic painted spreads on every page. That's all well and good for a picture book, but when I want to tell a story, I think you need to tone it down here and there to keep the pace.

Gotta head out. I'll get to the other questions later. :o Hope you guys like the new page.

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Endling wrote:
wickedali wrote:Endling why would you choose to not colour the Everafter pages when both colouring and shading in differernt black and whites would aproximately take the same time? (not that any of your fans would disagree with not wanting it black and white)

Speaking from experience, m'dear, coloring and shading in black and white do not take approximately the same amount of time, whatsoever. Black and white does call for a certain amount of attention to be paid so the image doesn't get muddy or confusing, making what you need to stand out stand out, etc. But coloring takes infinitely longer. You need to consider light sources, ambient colors, reflected light, etc.. you need to have a great understanding of color theory to begin with, or else your characters will look completely out of place in their surroundings.. among various other reasons.
But really, it's more than that. I like to retain the old timey feel black and white gives. It's a simple charm. The kind of stuff I grew up with. A lot of western comics have like.. epic painted spreads on every page. That's all well and good for a picture book, but when I want to tell a story, I think you need to tone it down here and there to keep the pace.

Gotta head out. I'll get to the other questions later. :o Hope you guys like the new page.

Hehe, shows what I know.
Yeah, actually I would have to agree your choice to chooseing to create the Everafter comic pages in black&white, I like it because it has its oldworld charm.
And the new page... its simply awesome :)

Postby Tigera » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:04 pm

Yeah, well, Everafter is a pretty dark comic (no duh...) It would look kind of out of place if it was colored.
At least for me.
Darnit, leave me the eff alone. I don't HAVE anything wise to say. Sig's just aren't my thing.
Listen to teh squirrel.

Postby Geno » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:12 pm

wickedali wrote:
Geno wrote:No, I just made most of that up off the top of my head.

hehe.. you must be pretty good to think things like that just like that..

It was pretty good what you said.

Thanks. I try hard when writing stuff like that.

Postby spazmonkey » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:36 pm

Are the pages from the interview going to appear as weekly updates?
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Postby karauma » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:46 am

or are they rather, simply old experimental pages?
Bananamancer

Postby Wazit » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:32 am

Endling wrote:
wazit_blade wrote:Best. answer. ever. Oh yeah, how many girlfriends have you got before

Hrm. Seven. Most of which lasted a few months, one of which lasted three years. And no, none of those were 'long distance' internet relationships, haha.

Seven? Wow, that's quite a lot. Looks like I still have a long way to go.

Postby Glahardt » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:10 am

wazit_blade wrote:Seven? Wow, that's quite a lot. Looks like I still have a long way to go.
You do.

OK, this is something I sould like to discuss with everybody...
What do you think of "untalented artists" who claim to be one of the best? I mean, seriously, thei artwork sucks, OK... I don't look at their stuff, but what if... The foo' claimed to be a great artist even though his/her artworks sucks the big one, what do you guys think about people like that?

Personally, I try to make them less of an asshole, but I guess... Advice ain't enough, for some reason.
Last edited by Glahardt on Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Wazit » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:14 am

I would ask them to shove their head into their ass... if they don't listen to advice and critisisms

Postby Amaranthine Ali » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:16 am

spazmonkey wrote:Are the pages from the interview going to appear as weekly updates?

Heh, I believe that could be a possibility...

Even though the unfinished pages from tokyopop interview were there.. They were still unfinished also without dialogue as someone (though I couldn't remember who it was, could have been Endling or Stellos~Core)as mentioned beforehand..

But another question would come, why would Endling draw something like that and not plan to finish it and put it up in the Everafter pages?

Anyway if the tokyopop "unfinished" pages will show up.. It would likely be very soon..

Postby Glahardt » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:17 am

You mean, like B? Ya know... Sora Sonicachu Saiyan(I found out that he changes color... Like super saiyan. LAWL)

PreviousNext

Return to EverAfter