Funeral Crashers

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby Wings » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:03 pm

Can I point out that funerals have absolutely nothing to do with the dead person? They don't give a shit. Everything about a funeral is for the benefit of the friends and family, still living.

If it made the online friends, partners, whatever, feel more comfortable with it, and helped them get over their grief, then good. It's exactly the same as a funeral outside fo the online world. The same rules apply.

When people say 'lack of respect for the dead,' incidentally - can we all agree that's not what they mean? What they really mean is the lack of respect for the feelings of the mourners, the ones still living. And to me, showing lack of respect for living people is a lot worse than the dead ones.
sig.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 946
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:41 am
Location: Blighty.
Gender: None specified

Postby Cali Defender » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:52 pm

Well, that depends on your religion, race, and family tradition.

Plenty of people honor hte dead at their funerals, or wakes, and unless you believe that once your dead, thats it, there is no more, than whos to say hte dead arent honored?

And as for judging her based on one action, yeah Im going to have to go ahead and say that I can judge her however I damn well feel.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 19039
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Going on a walk.
Gender: None specified

Postby BobSagat » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:57 pm

Which is why I continously said, "should."

I'm not here to govern you.

I'm just saying it's stupid to do so.

But yeah, shit planning on the mourner's part.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:02 pm
Gender: None specified

Postby Cali Defender » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:20 pm

No I understand that, and I still disagree.

If someone joins a forum, makes one post claiming htat everyone there is wasting htere life on the internet, and then leaves, I assume they are an asshole.

I have nothing else to go by except that one little post, but already, thats a fitting description.

I know nothing about this girl except that she killed herself. I do not take cowardice lightley. Therefore Ifeel no remorse for her, nor any pity.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 19039
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Going on a walk.
Gender: None specified

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:26 pm

Oh, I hate those people. "OMG Y R U GUYS HERE U GUYS NED 2 GET A LIFE URE AL SO GAY AN FAGS"

Damn trolls.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 30944
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:44 am
Location: Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Gender: Male

Postby Luffy » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:57 pm

Kami and Cali said pretty much everything I have left to say, not that there's a garuntee that I would've thought of saying it.
Image"It's ever so magical to discover that nearly every adult you've ever met, particularly your parents, has been lying to you for as long as you can remember for absolutely no reason, and that has never ruined the holiday for anyone at all, fuckers."-Awthe, saying what every little boy and girl should be saying when they find out Santa isn't real.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 6410
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:57 pm
Location: possibly eaten by a black hole
Gender: None specified

Postby SpellRuler » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:06 pm

Kamisutra wrote:
chrisb wrote:It's just my opinion, I just feel that way about it now, what can I say? I just hate it for that reason.

Well maybe they didn't know her very well and they couldn't get to her funeral so the best they could do is that whole game funeral thingy. So I say it's a sweet gesture because they tried to do something, even if it was poorly planned, but I don't know anything about WoW and how it works so I say maybe they just wanted the funeral to be nice and forgot about finding a way to like protect it or whatever.

And let's be respectful for the girl who passed away, even though I agree suicide is selfish and all that let's just leave those comments out of this and leave the girl alone.

So, in other words, you express your opinion about how you didn't like how the people acted during the raid, despite obviously having zero knowledge about the Game mechanics, and what a PvP server actually is. That's just silly, you should at least posses slight knowledge, about the atmosphere of a PvP community in an MMORPG, before making such incredibly naive statements. Like Layne said, those people basically wanted a nerdy-emo like atmosphere of an RP server, while playing on a PvP server, thus the whole result.

Also, I don't want to be respectful towards the girl. Unlike most people here, I don't despise her because she committed suicide, I mean, it was her life, so whatever, but in the same time I don't think she deserves any kind of respect. Being dead, doesn't automatically mean you are someone being worthy of respect. You have to earn respect, you don't get it for free, just because you have no pulse.

On a side note, as you said yourself, they probably didn't know the girl very well, so the whole circus was completely pointless and obsolete.

Added after 52 seconds:

SpellRuler wrote:coudnt they just asked the mods for a private server with pass protection so that no noobs could interfere?

You don't play much Online Games, do you?


I dDO play alot of online games just no WoW but I thought this could be possible because this is something serious and I thought it just might be possible
Keeper: Welcome to the forums. And yes, don't try to bitch with Ganon. He can be a nice guy, but act like a bastard to him and you're comparing that to a battle between a yellow-belt martial-artist, and a guy with a tomigun. You ain't gonna win.

Smaug & Nix: Smaug: I was hoping for a perfect mold of your penis. But that'll have to wait. Nix: Smaug, you know you don't need a mold of it, you can have the real deal any time you want.

Dave & Yoshi: Dave: A better question would be can a Sledgehammer stop my boner. This is what the people REALLY want to know. Yoshi: .. See, now why are scientists not researching something worthwhile, like that?

Pokemon Pearl FC: 1933 7298 5053 Name: Blitz
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 5022
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:02 pm
Location: Behind my Wii
Gender: None specified

Postby Skorri Siggeir » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:31 pm

Uhh.

NecroThread?
Image
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 5051
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: A dark void, pissing on the walls.
Gender: None specified

Re: Funeral Crashers

Postby zepherin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:58 pm

Time for a funeral story.

Boring backstory
A while ago my dad went to a funeral with several family members. There was friction because my great aunt had married the decesed (while he was still alive of course) and he changed his will towards the end of his life and instead of leaving everything to his children and his ex wife (the childrens mom) there was a split between our family and his. Roughly 50/50. And instead of his daughter my grandma was deemed more trustworthy to carry out the last request.

More interesting backstory
Because of the friction both sides were comming to blows and violence. Fist fights between our familys and threats were given from both sides. Before the funeral my grandpa called my dad and my uncles in for a meeting. Also he called up some of our extended family from Grand Junction who were "shady." At this meeting it was determined that everyone would go to the funeral packing heat. My dad was carrying a luger magnum. My grandpa helped put the holster on my dad since he'd never used a holster for his guns. There were about 30 or so verified guns and about 50 suspected guns at this funeral.

The funeral
The funeral itself had a split service with a heavy divider in between the 2 families. But even with seperate entrances a divider 4 on duty police officers and 2 offduty officers, there were still 3 fist fights. Luckily nobody was shot. And my grandma did her duty dividing the estate even though she considered the daughter a raving bitch.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 9152
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:57 pm
Location: Murder Capital
Gender: None specified

Postby Cali Defender » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:24 pm

God Bless the South.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 19039
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Going on a walk.
Gender: None specified

Postby zepherin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:26 pm

Cali wrote:God Bless the South.

Your about as far south as we are. :) colorado ftw
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 9152
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:57 pm
Location: Murder Capital
Gender: None specified

Postby Cali Defender » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:33 pm

Oh I wasnt being sarcastic really. I love the south. And your story truly adds to that love.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 19039
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Going on a walk.
Gender: None specified

Postby InterimOfZeal » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:57 pm

Wow... And here I thought CO was boring. Way to show me up.
Dave wrote:wait... bobsagat is asian? Really? When did THIS happen?

Jay wrote:A horrible accident during an audition halved the length of his penis.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2961
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:07 am
Location: I'M STUCK IN THE VCR!
Gender: None specified

Postby narutodesu » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:59 pm

when i read that story it reminded me of some sorta mafia thing
Image
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 34694
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:37 am
Gender: None specified

Postby zepherin » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:43 pm

narutodesu wrote:when i read that story it reminded me of some sorta mafia thing


Chiddu é lu bonnu chi vidi e taci
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 9152
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:57 pm
Location: Murder Capital
Gender: None specified

Postby daemon2 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:06 am

let's see if i can clear a few things up here.
For starters, i agree with the whole' funeral in person'
thing. But ther are exceptions, and here's an example. I live in California. If i make a very good friend in New york, or someone who is already a good friend moves to New York, and they die, how the hell am i gunna get over there for the funeral? i can't afford cross-country flights, or the gas for a cross-country drive. There were a great deal of people at that funeral, so i'd say that at least a few were unable to attend the actual funeral.

As for the whole 'suicide is a sign of cowardice' bit, i'm pretty sure that there were a few american soldiers who commited suicide to keep information from our enemies, who would disagree if they were still among the living.

As for the whole 'suicide is a sign of greed' bit, tell that to Romeo and Juliet. Then tell it to all the people who have become poetry fanatics because of Romeo and Juliet.

You claim that it's easier to tell someone's mood in person, but i'd definitely have to disagree. For starters, most people working in the military and police have been trained not to show emotion in any form. And i've had friends who i know on a day-to-day basis who show more emotion over the net than in real life.

For the postcards, i think that holding a funeral over the net is a much better way of paying respect to the dead, because you actually get to show some emotion instead of just jotting down a few words.

As for the actual incident, i might be convinced that killing the people at the funeral is acceptable, if the person convincing me is lucky. But flaming the deceased person, and the people who payed respects to the deceased person, would be like peeing on the ashes of someone who was cremated the day before.

I think that brandishing the funeral on the forums wasn't a bad thing, but it wasn't a good thing either. I doubt that the people hosting the funeral knew all of the deceased girl's friends, so posting it on a forum was probably the quickest, simplest, easiest, or ONLY way of contacting these people. I can't find anything about the point-of-view of the PvPers that attacked that is worth supprting, or that should be supported.

And as for the whole 'assuming based on what I know', I normally make it a point not to assume, because if you do, you're probably wrong. Once again, tell your assumptions about suicide to Romeo and Juliet. One fo them assumed, and they both lost their lives for it.

In regards to respecting the dead, they usually respect the accomplishments they made in life. Saying that making a high-level character in a game isn't accomplishment, would be as collossal a failure as claiming that Mona Lisa wasn't an accomplishment. They were both hobbies. They were both accomplishments.

Zepherin, i have no clue what you just said. Is it french? It somehow looks French.

I think that murder is a greater crime than suicide, depending on the murder. This is because, unlike suicide, murder can have more than one death as a result.And i'm pretty sure that if some of those Emos hadn't commited suicide, they may have been emotionally driven to become murderes instead, with the premise of destroying the people that caused their pain.

That was possibly the biggest rant i've ever done on a forum. hehe.

EDIT: in regards to the whole 'they shouldn't have done it on a PvP server' deal, i think they were too busy thinking 'oh my god, my friend is dead' to think about the ramifications of hosting a funeral on a PvP. In addition, the day you rely on stereotypes is the day you fail to truly see your surroundings.
"Crying is for little girls, babies and men who've just had their ears ripped off." -Oobie Doob Benoobie, Thumb Wars
"Frickin' sweet! A new bike! And it's not made out of Rush or anything!" -Megaman, Christmas Day
"Not so fast! Boxers or briefs, evildoer?" -Pantsman
Image
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Ninth Layer of Hell
Gender: None specified

Postby Spike » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:00 pm

Um well, well done on your rant, but DON'T NECROTHREAD FOR IT. This has already been necro'd ONCE and now it shall be locked. Good day sir.
***
ImageImage(Updates Tu!)
Dave: I'm rageing lesbian trapped in a man's body.
Sucros: You can't learn to cook without learning a little french, you can't discuss softcore gay porn without learning a little japanese.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 9536
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:51 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC
Gender: None specified

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests