ok, NOW I see...

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

ok, NOW I see...

Postby Crash » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:48 am

...why the rest of the world seems to see the Dutch as stoners.

yesterday I went with my host-family to the amusement park/shopping area called 'Huis Ten Bosch'.
yep. you got that right. its supposed to be Dutch.
all in all it isnt too bad a park. they got the building styles right, they little overdid the windmills, and I sorely hate them for putting electro-motors in the mills and then opening them for the public to see in inside, but its pretty good nonethless. I could have sworn I was in holland a couple of times, apart from the fact that there were only Japanese people in the park.
I think I saw about 3 groups of westerners walking about, and 2 of them I positively identified as Americans.

but now we're getting to the point of this topic.

I am quite sure most of you have at least heard of M.C. Escher, or at least seen a couple of his works. (the never-ending waterfall, the stairs, etc, etc.)
and as I am sure a few of you know aswell, is that Escher was Dutch.
so offcourse there was an exzhibit (sp?) about Escher in the park.

I love Escher to death, so offcourse I had to go and check it out.

it consisted of a 3-D movie, wich offcourse, knowing Escher's works, is cool.
boy, was I ever wrong.

the movie started like this: (it was in Japanese, so I dont have a clue what was actually said)
it starts with some steriotypical Dutch girl trying to wake her dog, wich was quite obviously asleep, and didnt want to wake up.
the girl then gets frustrated, and starts praying. from that, an angel comes, and basically tells the girls to 'Stop bugging the poor beast, he's just sleeping, bitch.'

next, the girl is walking in the forest, when suddenly there appears a floating head of dhoom (DHOOM I TELL YOU!), wich chases her about a bit, causes her to trip, and pass out.

the girl then awakes in one of Eschers drawings, and then the rest of the movie is about her trying to find a way out of the world where Escher came alive, wich, because its an 3-D movie, consists of the nessesary 'things that fly towards you, but just miss you', and stuff like that.
eventually she finds a way out, being helped by her dog that magically comes barking out of somewhere, and a couple more angels.

now I am quite sure this movie was kickass for the 5-year olds in the audience, but the whole way the movie was put together, really made one question float around in my head: what the FUCK was that girl smoking!?

basically, the whole movie was made in such a way that it seemed the girl had a pretty bad trip.
I allmost expected a message at the end of the movie reading: 'a few weeks after the making of this movie, the girl got arrested on possessing and using every known spycho-active drug in excistence.'

as soon as the movie was done, I wanted to rant about it, but my host-family isnt that good in English, so I decided to let you guys in on the fun.

thanks for reading. the full report (in twofold no less!) will be up shortly on my site.
Learning Kanji is like trying to memorize a cartoon, how to draw it, what the caption is, and what the caption MEANS. and most of the time there's more than one caption.

Postby m5giora » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:16 am

Actually, I think that the Dutch are considered dopeheades because that is the only place (that I know of) that marihuana is legal.

funny story none the less.
If other people from Israel will write somthing i will comment.

Re: ok, NOW I see...

Postby Material Defender » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:20 am

Marijauna... that grows wild out here in Kansas. Generally about anybody can be considered dopeheads, but mainly either A: People who are really out of what is considered the norm B: Very passive and apathtic people with a blank stare and the munchies.
Hey, I've met a bona fide stoner myself. He isn't that bad, a little distracted, but generally pretty cool.

Postby Dave » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:23 am

I had no idea that Escher was dutch and I didn't know his name either until you just mentioned it.

And yeah The dutch are considered stoners because of what m5giora said.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Spruce Moose » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:39 am

In America, there are groups calling to "legalize it". Are there groups calling to "outlaw it" in Holland?

Postby Cali Defender » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:57 pm

I always thought it was because Dutch thought capacity was dragging on the ground, thus calling for an explanation. Thanks for the clear-up ^_^

Re: ok, NOW I see...

Postby maxx_unlimited » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:04 pm

I live in portland, no one cares about pot it's next to legal (I still don't smoke it)

Authroity hereis more concerned with the outrageously high meth and useage (especailly among teenagers)

PS - Dave, I'm an asshat, but I should be going home so I can FINALLY get that shirt sprayed. I've been waiting forever, but haven't been home from my dorm since I moved.

Postby Crash » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:08 am

m5giora wrote:Actually, I think that the Dutch are considered dopeheades because that is the only place (that I know of) that marihuana is legal.

funny story none the less.

eheheh.
wrong.

it isnt legal. its tolerated.

meaning that if we outlaw it, the crime rate will skyrocket, and stoners arent that bad people.. a couple of my friends smoke it occasionally, and you can really laugh with them when they're stoned.
Learning Kanji is like trying to memorize a cartoon, how to draw it, what the caption is, and what the caption MEANS. and most of the time there's more than one caption.

Postby Mr. Noia » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:29 am

I heard it on the radio a few weeks ago; a new television show on I believe BNN, some guys is gonna do all the 'common' kinds of drugs. a small selection that I can recall: heroine, cocaine, xtc, LSD, speed, crack, crystals.

so I figured the dutch kinda deserve such a title. everyone after highschool knows SOMEONE who does some kind of drugs. I'm so totally sure of that. yeah.
45k a year for gay sex? That's a man-hooker wages I'd say. Still worth it. ~ Dave

Postby m5giora » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:16 am

Crash wrote:eheheh.
wrong.

it isnt legal. its tolerated.

meaning that if we outlaw it, the crime rate will skyrocket, and stoners arent that bad people.. a couple of my friends smoke it occasionally, and you can really laugh with them when they're stoned.

If there isn't a law against it it's legal! as opposed to other countries where it is forbidden by law (with the exception of medical use).

I agree that stoners aren't necessarily bad people, hell my uncle is one (or was last time I saw him).
And about the "the crime will skyrocket", Amsterdam is well known for its high crime rate, especially in the Red Lights district, so it's a litle too late for that.
If other people from Israel will write somthing i will comment.

Postby Crash » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:28 am

is it?

must've missed that part about A'dam.

and if I am correct, there is a law against illegal selling of the stuff.
the point is, we made the coffee shops the only place where you can buy it 'legal'.

Postby Horu » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:08 am

The only groups calling to legalize it in the US are a bunch of pot head retards. They are the VAST minority. It has no political sway, they just happen to do dumb enough things they show up in the media cause they can get some headlines.

Return to Snafu General Discussion