Reformatting sucks

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby HaloGray » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:35 pm

I need to build me a linux box goddamnz it.

I'd like to just install it on my primary pc... but then I wouldn't be able to do... well... anything... and stuff. So yeah, next time I come across 100 bucks... I'm going to put together a small server. Supposedly using Linux' godly networking abilities you can hook up a 56k network.... so multiple people can check email at once. The disadantage of course... would be having to SPLIT a 56k speed... ouch.

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:40 pm

Um, you can do that with Windows too.

Yeah, I'm always saying "Next time I get another computer, I'm gonna make a linux box!". Then I get another computer and I think of something else I could use another windows machine for (like the Kazaa deal).

I've still got an old AMD 233 on the floor, all it needs is a HDD and its ready to rock. I figure a low end machine like that would be perfect for a dumb terminal/surveillance machine. It can be used to control all the no-monitor/no-mouse/no-keyboard servers I have, plus be hooked up to several web cams placed in strategic places in the house so that I can see whos at the door, whats available to eat, and whether or not theres a car in the driveway, all without having to get up.

Postby HaloGray » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:45 pm

Nix.... you've just reached a whole new level of paranoia.

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:49 pm

Paranoia, or perfection?!

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:50 pm

Heh just leaving my regular computer on Kazaa for a week earned me the Supreme Being status of sharing. Next time I find a cheap ass computer I'm gonna just upgrade the HDD and use it as a safe warehouse for personal files. So if I ever have to format or kill of a virus I don't have to worry about copying files to a CD, virus scanning them, and loading them back on. It'll probably be awhile. I'm pretty happy with my current system on all fronts cause its got a 120 gig hard drive, 1.8 Ghz processor, and 512 of ram. Only things I'd like to upgrade on it are the cooling system and the video card. I'd also like to get a g4 and make this super shibby mac/pc all in one machine I saw on tech TV. Use it for school.
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:12 pm

Yeah I use my gateway server for storage too. Its an FTP/Webserver/Gateway/Storage machine all in one.

Postby HaloGray » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:30 pm

Nix... you must link me to a readme on splitting up a 56k line... I've tried and tried and tried again, but it just couldn't be done.

How the hell do you do this?

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:32 pm

Nice. Yeah if when I get on my own I'd probably use the storage machine as a ftp/game server as well when I felt like it.
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:06 pm

I'll do you one better, I'll explain it right now.

There are a variety of different ways to do it, but if you want reliability, why not just use a gateway?

Take a program like Sygate, for instance, and set it up as a gateway server on the computer with the modem.

Next just enter in gateway settings in Network neighborhood, if you don't know how to do that, you can always just use the sygate client on the other computers to connect to the server.

I think it will even dial onto the internet remotely for you.

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion