Comic Contest

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Comic Contest

Postby WesleyInc » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:07 pm

I've been hearing things here and there about comic contests. May someone let me know what is like on when the next contest would be? I would love to see what it is like.
Even the smallest bit of ink, you can own a inc! WesleyInc!

I'm the little middle school kid that runs around on this forum. Did I mention I was extremely evil?
State alchemist irken Titan shifter demon and vocaloid fan

Re: Comic Contest

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:01 pm

I don't know where or who has been talking about this. Anything more specific on this? Like is it just some Comic Contest somewhere else or are you talking about the potential one for Snafu?
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby WesleyInc » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:33 pm

weird. I'm talking about the potential SNAFU. Strange...
Even the smallest bit of ink, you can own a inc! WesleyInc!

I'm the little middle school kid that runs around on this forum. Did I mention I was extremely evil?
State alchemist irken Titan shifter demon and vocaloid fan

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm not sure if that's being advertised yet or where that has been floating about. But, yes, we've been thinking on another Art Contest for Snafu. There is a possibility that this one will feature the combined elements of the Literature Contest and you will be competing in designing a comic page for one of the discontinued comics, the winner will have their page featured as a comic update, but with a disclaimer that it is a contesting winning prize and not canon to the story.

HOWEVER, I have no idea if this is still the exact goal, its been a while since anything was discussed on it or what we are going to do with it.

When a decision has been made and finalized, a site wide announcement will be made.

Did you have any ideas or requests for a future contest? Or did you just want to know what is going on?
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Senel » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:04 am

There are comics on this site?

Location: That city where The Office supposedly takes place in.

Postby OrangeBee » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:43 pm

Would be interesting for a old comic to continue. But wouldn't that just be wasting a good opportunity for a new comic to rise, and then you got those new folks comin' in goin' " Is this a continuance"

But then again we get comments like that all the time
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:58 pm

OrangeBee wrote:Would be interesting for a old comic to continue.

It wouldn't.

OrangeBee wrote:But wouldn't that just be wasting a good opportunity for a new comic to rise

Opposite reaction. Allows us to see potential comic artists and story board designers who could inherit a slot. As the contests get more popular, it is hoped for a future contest to have the winning prize be a comic slot. Even this early, it is still a possibility for someone to get a comic slot out of this beginning contest.

OrangeBee wrote:and then you got those new folks comin' in goin' " Is this a continuance"

Hence the disclaimer, stating that the recent page upload is a fan-based continuity and not canon to the comic.

OrangeBee wrote:But then again we get comments like that all the time

E'yup. Thankfully, not for a while.

But all of this is still in discussions with the moderators, and those of the Gold Members that bothered to help. If we're lucky, might be able to get some sort of contest launched within a month or two.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Hiroko » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:00 am

Adding something Stuff brought up over Skype, with regards to the prize thing if it doesn't quite work out how we want it to, and if we have to fall back on the whole "art as a prize" idea:

Mm speaking of the contests
If Bleed ends up being a dick
Any artists on Snafu, aka Gold members, could give a commission instead? Not the same as a well known name, but still.....people love free commissions

So...that's a thought to consider, I think. Though I still hope that we'd be able to do the whole "contest entry included into actual comic archive" prize thing.
The Sentimental One

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:11 am

Guardian wrote:
OrangeBee wrote:Would be interesting for a old comic to continue.

It wouldn't.

OrangeBee wrote:But wouldn't that just be wasting a good opportunity for a new comic to rise

Opposite reaction. Allows us to see potential comic artists and story board designers who could inherit a slot. As the contests get more popular, it is hoped for a future contest to have the winning prize be a comic slot. Even this early, it is still a possibility for someone to get a comic slot out of this beginning contest.

Just to add a slight reiteration. I think Blood means that, they can see how well someone picks up on information and form an interesting step up, rather than just have an interesting introduction of a new story and hoping that it remains interesting.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Alrighty then.

That makes more sense. See if the artist can write, then if they can have a slot.
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Note, collabs are allowed with consent.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ULTRADJ » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:26 pm

I can't do art yet, but I can write. So, will be an art only contest or will there be writing as well?
When I have something clever I'll put it here. XP
Just Rockin

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:50 pm

Last time they hosted an official Art Contest, and Bleed, Sig and I made a Literature Contest to follow. The last Art contest gave a commission by Bleed as the prize, I gave away a gift card.

This time around, it's being debated to make the Art Contest into a Comic Contest. You can partner up with other artists, if they're willing. You could also try your hand at drawing, if the story is interesting enough, you may attract an artist. I'm not sure on these parts of the rules.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:51 pm

It sounds really interesting. Especially the prize. I hope when it does happen I have time to enter.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:55 pm

I rather regret more or less staying out of the literature contest. I stayed in my comfort zone too much and didn't really get any press.

If another one happens, I'll really have to pull out all the stops. Walrus really impressed me with his submission and I voted for him, I'll need to make a short story that impresses even myself next time.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby ari-6 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Yeah, Walrus writing was really great. I voted for him too.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:00 pm

I look forward to seeing you in the next art contest, should one arise again, Ari.

I wasn't around during the first contest because I didn't know it actually existed, but I'll keep an eye out this time, bet on it.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby ari-6 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:18 pm

Thank you very much. I hope I can compete.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby ULTRADJ » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:09 am

Oh man, to tell the truth, I am trying to write one or two stories currently, but I haven't quite published anything yet, I will in the near future, so when the Lit part of the contest does happen, I hope I can be ready for that.
When I have something clever I'll put it here. XP
Just Rockin

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:46 am

Guardian wrote:I'm not sure if that's being advertised yet or where that has been floating about. But, yes, we've been thinking on another Art Contest for Snafu. There is a possibility that this one will feature the combined elements of the Literature Contest and you will be competing in designing a comic page for one of the discontinued comics, the winner will have their page featured as a comic update, but with a disclaimer that it is a contesting winning prize and not canon to the story.

HOWEVER, I have no idea if this is still the exact goal, its been a while since anything was discussed on it or what we are going to do with it.

When a decision has been made and finalized, a site wide announcement will be made.

Did you have any ideas or requests for a future contest? Or did you just want to know what is going on?

I have an idea for this. For future Art Contests, you could create a whole new series where each Arc is consisted of the winners' pages, and those pages chosen from those people will progress the entire story. However, in case the number of contestants are low you could make them create more than one page.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:18 am

That would likely cause some strange inconsistencies with the stories.
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Havoc » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:02 am

I sorta had an idea for an art contest. How about next December we could do a Christmas themed art contest? I know this is probably the oddest time to bring this up seeing how it's summer and all.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:56 pm

A Christmas themed art contest in December? How inappropriate.
Don't hug me I'm scared
Eye of the Tiger

Postby Sigment » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:37 pm

The last one was Summer-themed. The Lit contest after that was Halloween-themed. Christmas art might be fun to try.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Exodis » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:11 pm

But hey, give some love for Spring too.
The Kid

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion