Living on Your Own

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Living on Your Own

Postby Sly » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm curious Snafu .o. I know most of you guys were prolly kids when you joined this site, but it's been years, no? Maybe just by reading some posts around, I got a feeling you guys aren't kids anymore : O But that's besides the point! Even if you're not old enough to live on your own, maybe you hope some day to live on your own?

I've been thinking about it a lot lately, especially with college graduation only six weeks away. I have a little day dream about having my own itty bitty studio apartment, where I can be left alone to indulge in my hobbies when I'm not working.

But a lot of questions come into play! Maybe you've thought about them too?

Expenses aside, cuz we all know you have to have a job and stuff to afford your own place.

Assume you do have a job and money to get a place for yourself. What kind of apartment would you want? Studio? 1bedroom 1 bath and/or etc? Who would you live with? What kinds of meals do you hope to cook for yourself? What kinds of furniture would you want around the place? Any interior designs you want? Would you want to paint the walls? (remember you have to paint them back before you move out.) What about the kitchen, what appliances are a must for you? What kind of cookware do you demand?

What kinds of things are more important to you in your living space? comfort? Space? Functionality? Hey I gotta get out the door and be somewhere sort of thing? Do you think if you had your own place you'd be more likely to keep it clean? Or maybe you're super clean as it is?

What kinds of things do you think about if you daydreamed about having your own place? Would you rather live with other people? Significant other?

if you already live on your own, share what you've learned about living alone!! has safety ever been an issue for you??
Do you have the preparedness to tell a lie? How is it?
Look, you're becoming sleepy.

My writings

People ruin all things to the point good and evil can't even exist.
In the depth of humanity, what I saw a terribly cold dream.
Looking Forward.

Re: Living on Your Own

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:36 pm

Funny you mentioned this, there's a book on Heading Out on Your Own if you're interested. Of course, it doesn't have everything you need to know so you have to go beyond it, but I'm confident that you'll learn a lot.
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby Tuor » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:41 pm

Sly wrote:What kind of apartment would you want? Studio? 1bedroom 1 bath and/or etc? Who would you live with? What kinds of meals do you hope to cook for yourself? What kinds of furniture would you want around the place? Any interior designs you want? Would you want to paint the walls? (remember you have to paint them back before you move out.) What about the kitchen, what appliances are a must for you? What kind of cookware do you demand?

What kinds of things are more important to you in your living space? comfort? Space? Functionality? Hey I gotta get out the door and be somewhere sort of thing? Do you think if you had your own place you'd be more likely to keep it clean? Or maybe you're super clean as it is?

What kinds of things do you think about if you daydreamed about having your own place? Would you rather live with other people? Significant other?

if you already live on your own, share what you've learned about living alone!! has safety ever been an issue for you??

Probably studio, maybe 2 bedroom. Live with a close friend. I dunno how much cooking would be down. Possibly stews and curries and microwave stuff. Furniture not that big of a deal. As long as there's at least one comfy couch and I have a decent bed. No wall painting I don't think. Aside from a fridge and a microwave I could deal without anything else prolly. Cookware: I dunno, couple good pans and a pot?

Comfort most important fo sho. But the other two would also be good to have a bit of. I am not super clean as it is. I kinda hope I'd have a room mate that was clean and likes cleaning...

Not significant other. You never know how long that will last and if you breakup then you're stuck without the other half of rent etc.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sly » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:07 pm

think two people could fit in a studio apartment?
I always believed it could be done .x. but you'd have to really get along. kinda like sharing a dorm when your in college. can be done, but rly not fun. not ideal living, but ideal for wallet.

I've been debating back and forth whether I'd invest in a kotatsu futon, or just the shikibuton. Kotatsu is adorable and duals as a table, but not rly good for sleeping under, though you could if you had to and had an extra blanket. Shikibuton is something you can roll out at night. Thus using the rest of the space where a bed would be for whatever else. But then you'd need a table of some sort. KINDA on that, I mean, I always just eat at my desk.

I need space to indulge in my hobbies :/ keyboard, guitar, painting etc. Don't need a whole lot of tools in the kitchen, but I damn sure need counter space. Don't get me started on the cooking though lol. Imma baker, and I love to cook, grill, make smoothies, etc. all dat shit.

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby Sentios » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:30 am

I don't live on my own, live with my parents still. Of course I pay part of there rent so it's not just a one sided relationship and it's far more reliable than a room mate would be.

If we're talking of ideals though then 1 large bed room, 1 mid sized bath, a mid sized kitchen, and a laundry room. I don't really ever have or plan to have company over so my living space and bedroom space would be combined. I prefer functionality and comfort to appearances in my home, though I prefer more rural wooded areas for it's location. I've also thought about non-conventional construction such as a house built into the ground and made of concrete. I've also heavily considered renewable power generation for my ideal home, so a fast moving creek on the property would be lovely. Though of course it needs fast internet, wherever it is.

As for the rest, the only furniture I really need is a comfy chair, a big computer desk and a comfy bed. If I need a table for anything that just means my desk isn't big enough and I've never had much use for dressers, they're just storage space for clothes I never wear. Cookware doesn't have to be anything elaborate just basic pots and pans will do the trick. I don't normally cook anything too fancy but there was a time when I thought about being a chef.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Sly » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:48 pm

:< rural areas? really?
blegh .x. I wanna live in a city. Like Seattle.

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby Senel » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:01 am

It'd take 89 hours of minimal wage in my state to live on your own. Fuck that shit. I pay rent at home and pay for my own food and clean my own shit.

Postby Sentios » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:11 pm

Sly wrote::< rural areas? really?
blegh .x. I wanna live in a city. Like Seattle.

More woods than farm country, about 15-20 minutes outside of a major city is good.

Postby Vegedus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:06 am

I've lived on my own for nigh-on 5 years now. I was anxious to get out when I moved, and it was everything I hoped it would be. It's not that my mom, which I lived with before, is a bad person, but I really needed to not have anyone else with a controlling interest in my private life. I.e. someone who constantly bugs me for getting off my computer or derides my hobbies and interests. Having responsibility for yourself, as in, doing your own laundry, groceries, whatever else, is pretty cool too, once you get used to it. I wouldn't feel like much of an adult if I didn't have those responsibilities. I can't imagine moving in with my parents again, ever, I get jitters just from visiting.

I live in what's basically a dorm, except it's not on campus, and on the outskirts of the capital, so commute is a bitch. A bedroom with enough space for some shelves and a computer, a bathroom and a shared kitchen with the other residents. It's small, but given that I spent most of my time in front of that computer and not doing pirouettes, it's perfectly liveable. There's some hobbies I might be able to do more with with more space, but none I miss terribly. I'm slowly coming into money, so I might be getting a real apartment within a reasonable time-frame, and I'm certainly looking forward to that, but studio life is just fine. Also, btw, this is very much the norm for young students in one country. We get enough study funding from the state that we can just barely afford to live on our own.

I've no SO, but I have certainly entertained the idea of moving in with some good mates. I like the idea of always having someone to play Smash Bros with, party or otherwise, but then again, I also like the idea of being able to walk around everywhere in the buff. I also hear that living together can ruin friendships, as people clash over cleaning. I'm mostly a solitary person, so I'm probably better off living alone. I'm fairly sure we actually have some people in my dorm who are living multiple people together in one room. They're certainly not made for it, and I couldn't imagine living like that, but these are also foreign people who have less to live on, I guess.

My eating habits are pretty shit. Lots of frozen and premade stuff, with the occasional "beef and some pasta and sauce" easy cooks thrown in. It's actually gone downhill the longer I've lived out, because I care less and less. I just care to put the time in. It feels like a waste to put more than 30 mins into a meal that's gonna take less than that to consume. I don't eat too much "restaurant fast food", tho, since that's too expensive.

I don't really know what you mean by "safety". Certainly not scared someone's gonna break down the door and beat me up because I'm alone.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Sentios » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:27 pm

Vegedus wrote:I don't really know what you mean by "safety". Certainly not scared someone's gonna break down the door and beat me up because I'm alone.

Then again you live in a cold part of Europe, criminals are like bugs they don't like the cold.

If you want to talk about paranoia, my sister still lives at home but she is so paranoid about people breaking in or looking in that she covers the windows with contact paper that makes it looks frosted. Of course this means it's impossible to actually see out of the windows as much as it is for anyone to see in which is dumb.

Postby Sly » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:22 pm

That's very interesting Vegedus OwO!!
I lived in England for a little while in a dorm that was off-campus and it was that exact set up. I made really good friends with my flatmates though. For some reason our flat was more mixed nationality than other flats. We had a french girl, a guy from hong kong, another guy from Romania, and then the American. so it was actually a lot of fun, but cleaning was a major issue.

it's also hard to feel like someone is gonna break in when you live on the 6th floor and there's locks on both the door into the flat, and into each individual room. and these doors are thick firedoors.

now i have to ask .o. how much does it cost you to live there each month? do you pay a flat rate or are there bills you have to pay as well like electricity and gas?

My writings

Looking Forward.

Postby Tuor » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Sly wrote:That's very interesting Vegedus OwO!!
I lived in England for a little while in a dorm that was off-campus and it was that exact set up. I made really good friends with my flatmates though. For some reason our flat was more mixed nationality than other flats. We had a french girl, a guy from hong kong, another guy from Romania, and then the American. so it was actually a lot of fun, but cleaning was a major issue.

Prolly put all the exchange students together, no?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sly » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:51 pm

Tuor wrote:
Sly wrote:That's very interesting Vegedus OwO!!

Prolly put all the exchange students together, no?

When I think about it, I want to believe that.

I do have some cleaning horror stories though .__. My flatmates did everything from buying a whole bunch of plastic guns that shoot little plastic balls and turning all the tables over in the kitchen and making a full war zone, to turning the kitchen into a swimming pool (no fuckin' joke, they sand bagged the doorway with pillows and got at least a quarter of an inch of water down before they got tired of trying), to have an apple-throwing fight in which someone did get kinda hurt.

I slept on a real futon for the first time this past week. Looks like one of these

It turned out to be really really comfortable .__.; I can understand where some people are like "it's too hard" but I need a firmer surface to sleep on, or my neck and back get stiff. So it was perfect for me. I just have to wonder if it would be really weird to have an apartment with a lot of japanese furniture : / like having a kotatsu table and sleeping on a futon. The more I research japanese styled furniture I just realize how genius it is. Not only their furniture, but even their means of serving dinner are kinda smart too. They designate a server who has a wicker basket of hot rice, and all the china is small bowls and such, so you only take as much as you're going to eat. Food stays warm throughout all of dinner by being kept in the pot or basket, and no food is wasted or goes cold while everyone is eating. I'd like to just get a futon that's a full or queen size though. The twin was nice but I'm used to sleeping on a bigger bed. I've had a full sized bed since middle school v__v; Luckily it's not too much more expensive than the twin sized futon.

I think if I had my own lil studio apartment, a futon and a kotatsu would just be useful as space savers. That and I would rly hate having to buy a full table and chairs just to have somewhere to eat dinner that's not my computer desk.

I'm also a painter : x and I have a few big projects planned in the not so near future due to funding...that and I need to find a real woodworker to make the custom canvases for me. My point is, wherever I end up living, I won't be able to afford a place big enough to have an extra room for an art studio, but I need room to work on art projects. So if a futon can help me clear out some floor space, I'll take it.

.__.; Maybe it's a lil weird to bring all the japaneseness into a western apartment. But the convenience is probably worth it in a lil studio apartment.

My writings

Looking Forward.

Return to Snafu General Discussion