Television and Movies

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Television and Movies

Postby The Mad Doctor » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:52 am

I thought about the upcoming gotham show on fox, I'm sure it'd be pretty good. But then I think about it; how many people really want to see a batman tv show without batman?
Not Space Jesus

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:11 pm

Well, if it's good, I might check it out. I mean, it shows how Bruce Wayne's parents died and most of the enemies Batman faces before he becomes an adult. Plus, having it in the perspective of Gordon seems interestingly enough for a watch.
Pro Snafu Mods Supporter 2k14
Just Rockin

Postby Remni » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:22 pm

So apparently Legendary showed off some stuff for Godzilla 2 and named Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah in the little teaser they had. Sounds like Toho liked it so well that they gave him the rights to other monsters.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby SantaUltraDJClaus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:08 am

Working on Godzilla 2 already? That seemed kind of fast, but not surprising considering it's money-grubbing Hollywood.
Pro Snafu Mods Supporter 2k14
Just Rockin

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:43 am

There has already been 50 godzilla movies, they aren't much like sequels anymore.
Not Space Jesus

Postby noxux » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:48 pm

Yeah maybe they are only going to take one of the old movies and do a reamake or change the story a little bit.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:27 pm

Love the pessimistic attitude in here, guys. Be it games, current events, movies and even TV shows, I can always count on you to find the negative in any happy news.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Remni » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:22 pm

Blood Lord wrote:Love the pessimistic attitude in here, guys. Be it games, current events, movies and even TV shows, I can always count on you to find the negative in any happy news.

No shit. I figured people would be stoked to see this happen with as good as the movie was. And people were WANTING those monster in the first movie to start with, so why argue about it now?
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Sigmas » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Well, I liked the newest Godzilla, so I'd likely be willing to see a sequel when it comes out if it's being done by the same guys.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Dammit, ya'll beat me to posting this news!

As some of you may have noticed I'm a really big Godzilla fan so I'm fangasaming right now over this news. So, if you'd all forgive me I'm going to go a little fanboy here.

The Mad Doctor wrote:There has already been 50 godzilla movies, they aren't much like sequels anymore.

Actually there have been only like 29. Not including the new one that has just started development.
(include the "Zilla" from 1998 and you have 30 and I'm not including the IDW comics, The Dark Horse Comics, the Marvel Comics, the Zilla TV show, and the Hanna Barbera cartoon. Also, there's the "Zone Fighter" TV show where Godzilla appeared in a few episodes).
But almost every Godzilla movie that's ever been made is in some way a sequel, with the exception to the very first movie, "Gorjira" back in the 50s.

Each new series they do with only the exception to this one is just one sequel after the other that also use the original 1950s Godzilla movie as a starting point. As much as the Showa era movies all seemed to be stand-alones, they all had continuity with each other. The Heisie era was more of a series where every movie they made was a sequel to the last one. Even "Godzilla 1984" was a direct sequel to the very first film back in the 50s.

The Millennium era is where things get a bit more complicated though. Almost each movie in that era is a direct sequel to the 50s Godzilla movie that kicked everything off.
"Godzilla 2000"
"Godzilla vs Megaguirus"
"Giant Monsters All Out Attack"
Each one of these were sequels of the very first movie and ignored everything that came in between.

Then along comes "Godzilla Against Mecha-Godzilla" (or "Godzilla vs Kiryu" as some call it)
This one is again a sequel to the very first film, but is the only movie in the Millennium era to get its own direct sequel.
Godzilla: Tokyo SOS.

Then there's "Godzilla: Final Wars" which is non-canon and is mainly a fantasy dream match where you get to see Godzilla fight a whole bunch of monsters and see Mothra fight Gigan for the first time.
It was also mainly a send off because Toho wanted to give Godzilla a break.

So in fact, the Legendary movie is the first Godzilla movie to not be connected to the original Godzilla movie from the 50s.

So, C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!

Now I'm aware of how complicated that all is, so I don't blame anyone for not knowing that. I'm just taking another opportunity to geek out about Godzilla because I love talking about this stuff.

Now that's out of the way and sorry for all that once again onto my reaction to the second Godzilla movie they're making.

Basically I've been watching the internet like a hawk and just waiting for someone to upload the teaser trailer footage where we get glimpses of the new monsters.
Remni wrote:
Blood Lord wrote:Love the pessimistic attitude in here, guys. Be it games, current events, movies and even TV shows, I can always count on you to find the negative in any happy news.

No shit. I figured people would be stoked to see this happen with as good as the movie was. And people were WANTING those monster in the first movie to start with, so why argue about it now?

Sigment wrote:Well, I liked the newest Godzilla, so I'd likely be willing to see a sequel when it comes out if it's being done by the same guys.

Basically this new movie has my personal top four in it.

Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah.

For those of you who don't know, each of these monsters have had movies where their names are the titles so this is a big deal to people like me.

Godzilla has had a shit ton of movies, but Mothra had her own movie simply titled, "Mothra" and marked her first appearance. Later during the Heisie era of Godzilla films Mothra would later break away from the series to star in her own film trilogy, "Rebirth of Mothra 1, 2, and 3" so good for you Mothra. You go girl.

Rodan had his start as the star of his own film as well, simply titled, "Rodan" but since then he has mainly appeared in Godzilla films.

Ghidorah has always been a villain (Except for GMK) and he first appeared in the movie, "Ghidorah: The Three Headed monster" and back then his name was pronounced a little different than what you might be familiar with.
In that movie Ghidorah, was evil and it took the combined forces of Mothra, Godzilla and Rodan to beat him.
Sound familiar?

Personally, I doubt they're going to do a remake of that movie with this one, at least not a total remake because in that movie, Ghidorah was an alien and Mothra talked to the human race using the Shobijin (or the twin fairies as they're known in the US).

Also there was a whole bunch of other sci-fi stuff going down in that movie that I'm skipping over because this is already a long post.

Basically, a movie like this is a pretty big deal because Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah are like in the top 10 if not 5 of the Toho movie monster gallery. Seeing them on the big screen like this and made by an American studio would have been unheard of until this point. Toho must have an interesting amount of faith in Legendary to hand over the rights to these four big monsters.

So now I'm gonna anxiously wait for this movie to come out and hope that it kicks major ass. Waiting for the last Godzilla movie had me crawling up a wall, so this is gonna be a killer of a wait for me.
Bark

Postby Remni » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:17 pm

So Guardians was an abso-fucking-lutely amazing and hilarious movie. All the classic music thrown in was great too. Also that ending reveal was great.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:46 pm

It rivals avengers.
Not Space Jesus

Postby Sigmas » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:19 am

I'd have to agree, now that I've seen it, and I'm wondering if the two groups will interact at some point.

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:38 am

I heard that this movie is a stand-alone and has nothing to do with the rest of the marvel movies

Also

THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:48 am

I've always thought DC should have setup as a Justice League movie first and then go and do the individual movies or subteam movies. It sucks that DC is ditching the Nolan Bats movies but I would have a hard time seeing how they can fit in the tone of that series and Bale not returning pretty much closes the door. It's best to pretend the Green Lantern movie never happened and Watchmen was never going to be part of the DC movie universe anyway.
All other bears are pretenders to the throne
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:03 pm

At DC comics

GUY1: hey guys....let's make a movie about batman!
GUY2:No, we need another superman movie. I think the fans are a little tired of seeing batman everywhere.
GUY3:How about a superman and batman crossover?
GUY2:Brilliant! Another Superman Batman movie! But as a crossover! Lets get on that right away!

meanwhile all the other potential movie DC heros just stand around the water cooler.

Meanwhile, at Marvel

GUY1:Geez, we've done a lot of super hero movies...What other movie do we make.. Spider man, Captain america, Wolverine....
GUY2:how 'bout deadpool
GUY1:...Alright sounds cool
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

Exodis: Image us as the Camelot, the guy going as a troll/Krest, and Hiroko as... the bunny.
ShitPoster

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:47 pm

OrangeBee wrote:I heard that this movie is a stand-alone and has nothing to do with the rest of the marvel movies

I saw the ending of Thor the dark world. It's cannon.
Not Space Jesus

Postby OrangeBee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:04 pm

The Mad Doctor wrote:
OrangeBee wrote:I heard that this movie is a stand-alone and has nothing to do with the rest of the marvel movies

I saw the ending of Thor the dark world. It's cannon.

Oh...The good then.

So cannon girl
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

ShitPoster

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:34 pm

You do realize that X-Men, Spiderman and the Fantastic 4 have nothing to do with the Marvel cinematic universe right? Also, DC has about a rumored dozen movies in the works, the known/heavily rumored ones are Bats/Supes, Justice League, Sandman, Shazam and Wondie. The big problem for DC is that Warner won't give them their own independence for film production like Disney did for Marvel, as long as WB is controlling the production process instead of DC it will be kinda half assed.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Sigmas » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:49 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:You do realize that X-Men, Spiderman and the Fantastic 4 have nothing to do with the Marvel cinematic universe right?

The Spider-Man films with Tobey Maguire, I can understand, but what about the new ones?

The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:23 am

Nope, Sony currently has the film rights, they rebooted the franchise because it was quicker than letting Raimi do number 4 and they had to get it done quick or lose the rights. If Spiderman was in the Marvel/Disney lineup he would have shown up by now. Ghost Rider, Daredevil, Blade, The Punisher, Hulk have all in the past couple of years have been returned to Marvel. But right now the Mutants and Fantastic 4/Silver Surfer belong to Fox and Sony has Spidey. The big issue is I don't know where Fantastic 4 movies would go since Marvel has the rights to the Cosmic stuff. Also, I'm wondering how Marvel will pull off the whole Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver in the Avengers seeing as they are mutants and that's Fox's.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby OrangeBee » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:03 am

This is what happens when you go bank-rupt and are in need of money
THE OFFICIAL SHITPOSTER

ShitPoster

Postby Eggnog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:07 am

Whatis6times9 wrote:Also, I'm wondering how Marvel will pull off the whole Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver in the Avengers seeing as they are mutants and that's Fox's.

They've stated that both siblings were "miraculously mutated", so they are mutants but were gifted with these powers from lab experiments, I guess.
Though, I don't know how that would also explain the fact that they are Magneto's children in the comics... hrm.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Huevo
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 am

OrangeBee wrote:This is what happens when you go bank-rupt and are in need of money

When who goes bankrupt? Because if it's Sony I don't see what it has to do with anything, if Sony was really in such bad shape they would have sold Spidey back to Marvel.

The problem with the twins is that they were originally from the X-Men series so I don't know how Marvel can claim use of them, it would be like trying to use Wolverine because he's been a member of the Avengers. I think this is just going to result in a lawsuit that could cost Marvel.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Remni » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:07 pm

Marvel can claim use of them because they are being used in a different context than in the X-Men series. My belief is that they arent the children of Magneto in the Marvel U version, they're just a mutated brother/sister combo. It's not like changes to origin stories havent happened in the comics before, so why should this be any different. We already saw Fox's version of Quicksilver in DoFP and he is quite different in personality and stature from the one they're using from the Marvel U one.
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion