Switch to full style
Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.
Post a reply

Philosophy Thread

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:42 pm

Here is a place were the philosophical questions may find a answer. Your brain will twist, strangle and dry till the end to just find one simple answer.

First question: Does computers have feelings?

Re: Philosophy Thread

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:48 pm

We haven't created a computer that can pass the Turing test, so it's a while till we have to develop a Voigt-Kampff test.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Supposing we had the technology to replace your organic brain with a computer that could exactly duplicate the effects of it's functions (your thoughts, subconscious rhythms, it was capable of changing it's structure to accommodate learning/Neuroplasticity, etc) would you still be you?

Re: Philosophy Thread

Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:26 am

Yes, it will still be you but it would change some "important" things that define if you have "feelings" like facial expresions, change in tone of voice and the ability to show "feelings" like fear.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Well here is another one much easier to think about.

Is there life after death?

Re: Philosophy Thread

Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:03 pm

Yes, hence the name "afterlife".

Re: Philosophy Thread

Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:52 pm

noxux wrote:Yes, it will still be you but it would change some "important" things that define if you have "feelings" like facial expresions, change in tone of voice and the ability to show "feelings" like fear.


I said it wouldn't do that, it would be exactly like you still had your original brain without actually having your original brain.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Sentios wrote:
noxux wrote:Yes, it will still be you but it would change some "important" things that define if you have "feelings" like facial expresions, change in tone of voice and the ability to show "feelings" like fear.


I said it wouldn't do that, it would be exactly like you still had your original brain without actually having your original brain.

You're getting into Ship of Theseus paradox here.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:10 pm

I don't know if there is an afterlife. But I am fond of embracing the unknown. I don't let religion decide if there is an afterlife. Those who are dead will...and thus we'll never find out. But that's a good thing to me.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:30 am

To be honest, that topic hits me hard.

What i fear is... What happens to me if i die? What happens to ME? That terrifies me, the thought of just i don't know... Ceasing to exist. Why can we think, why can we have thoughts and dreams? What happens to that? I don't want to think i'll disappear- i mean, i don't even know how to express this

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:44 am

My concern is going to Heaven and it being this super-boring place where all you can do for eternity is mindlessly worship God. You'd lose all sense of self and essentially be a zombie.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:57 am

What if jesus is an alien?

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:04 am

I met some guy in Washington who believed that.

He was an odd fellow, but very nice and polite. He had an exceptional Star Trek and Star Wars collections in his house.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:32 am

When you put those two together, thats not very suprising. But then again, when you think about it, it might've happened. Turning water into wine, curing the ill, resurecting the dead... if we don't understand it, It's magic. No hyperadvanced technology is here, just superstition just because we think the world alone is made out of thin air (vacuum of space actually).

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:20 am

I thought there had been an old version of the bible where angels manifested in bizarre forms, such as ring of fires and stuff like that no? Considering the shapes, the "perhaps it was aliens" theory is plausible (angels usually warned people to "have no fear" when they manifested to people, i doubt the fear they caused was just because they were people with wings).

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:44 am

Mir@k wrote:To be honest, that topic hits me hard.

What i fear is... What happens to me if i die? What happens to ME? That terrifies me, the thought of just i don't know... Ceasing to exist. Why can we think, why can we have thoughts and dreams? What happens to that? I don't want to think i'll disappear- i mean, i don't even know how to express this




It is rather enraging on my part when I think about my own mortality. We are born, we live, we meet people who will grow old with us and we'll be gone. But what will be left behind. I like to think that the very fact that we are conscious means that there's something other than nothing waiting for us. Otherwise all this may just be a blank.

I've tried to enjoy life despite what other may say.
No two day are exactly a like. No two moments. And no two people.
Its natural for everything to go through this cycle of life and death. And rebirth if you believe in that as well. But everything is in a state of change.
To quote someone, "Life is finite and ephemeral."
And that is I believe is what makes it precious to us and it is ours to make as we choose so. Perhaps we are just like dolls a mad man once compared humans to. Stating that we are just husks in the void. But a doll can not think or feel or love or feel joy.
I never viewed life as darkly as some others I know did. There was a hint of melancholy to it, but to quote someone again, "Its not a cold, but a warm kind of sorrow that shines more brightly because of its limits."

I like to believe that what we are does go somewhere. I believe that what we have inside of us is something too strong to go away. And even when the day comes that the sun and the earth are all gone that something will still be there.
Perhaps life its self and the fact that we can feel so much is proof that there is such a thing as the after life. Because I think what's inside of use is too powerful to die.

Also, my aunt is an ex-soldier turned ghost hunter.
And no I'm not making that up.
I bring that up because if you spend enough time talking to this lady, its hard not to think the afterlife is a very real thing. Its kind of comforting.
(I can't help but think that would be an awesome idea for a comic book though. An ex-soldier who hunts ghosts. It practically writes itself.)

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 pm

I believe in an afterlife.

Mir@k wrote:I thought there had been an old version of the bible where angels manifested in bizarre forms, such as ring of fires and stuff like that no? Considering the shapes, the "perhaps it was aliens" theory is plausible (angels usually warned people to "have no fear" when they manifested to people, i doubt the fear they caused was just because they were people with wings).

The history channel did this series (I think its been a few years now) on "Ancient Aliens" which was about exploring ancient records and finding mentioning of aliens. they either did a special in that series or a branch off program where they explored aliens being in the bible.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:10 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:You're getting into Ship of Theseus paradox here.

Exactly, this is a philosophy thread after all.

Mathias wrote:My concern is going to Heaven and it being this super-boring place where all you can do for eternity is mindlessly worship God. You'd lose all sense of self and essentially be a zombie.


This is part of the reason I consider religious people so crazy, that's not paradise that's hell.

On the topic of dieing; what's really terrifying the fatalistic mindset surrounding death. This talk mentions what I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYpxRXlboQ

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Can you make a summary?

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:24 pm

noxux wrote:First question: Does computers have feelings?

No.

Sentios wrote:Supposing we had the technology to replace your organic brain with a computer that could exactly duplicate the effects of it's functions (your thoughts, subconscious rhythms, it was capable of changing it's structure to accommodate learning/Neuroplasticity, etc) would you still be you?

No. It would effectively be a clone. At some point, your original brain would be destroyed, and you'd be dead. For all other purposes than 'self', sure, it'd be 'you'.

noxux wrote:Well here is another one much easier to think about.

Is there life after death?

No.

/thread

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:54 pm

You're kind of stupid sometimes. Image

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:29 pm

Vegedus wrote:/thread


This is a philosophy forum, not a "is there afterlife after thread", so fuck you. :P

But seriously, maybe we should move on to another philosophical topic at any moment or real soon...you guys sound nuts to me right now.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Could jesus be an alien? How about that? No?

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:15 pm

Mir@k wrote:I thought there had been an old version of the bible where angels manifested in bizarre forms, such as ring of fires and stuff like that no? Considering the shapes, the "perhaps it was aliens" theory is plausible (angels usually warned people to "have no fear" when they manifested to people, i doubt the fear they caused was just because they were people with wings).

From what I've learned, angels didn't have wings. It was just artistic license by painters during the Renaissance. Not that it has anything to do with your point, just wanted to share the tidbit.

Re: Philosophy Thread

Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Bellorosso del Fiore wrote:But seriously, maybe we should move on to another philosophical topic at any moment or real soon...you guys sound nuts to me right now.

inbeforechickenoreggdebate
Post a reply