Legend of Korra

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Legend of Korra

Postby Vegedus » Thu May 10, 2012 6:46 am

A fine point.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby EagleMan » Sun May 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Is anyone else annoyed by how much benders seem like pushovers compared to the equalists? The equalists seem to have superhuman agility and speed while the benders seem less powerful than those from Avatar.

The benders are the ruling class and of course the antagonist can't be a pushover themselves.. but it just looks too dumb to me.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Yeah, they are kinda crazy.
Might help that the war is over, things like a hundred years of conflict tend to teach people to hone their skills.
That they got the surprise makes it mildly ok in last episode, I suppose, and I feel like Amon's just crazy good, which is fine if he's suppose to be a threat to the Avatar. I've noticed that in general they do seem to use surprise and gadgets, which bridges the gap a bit.

Good episode all around though, lots of characterization and action.    Makes me wonder who paid off the refs though, seemed important enough to come up later with all the attention it got. Could just be the other team and I'm looking into it too much though.   

Also, I feel like the glimpses of Aang and the past are going to give us some important insight into Amon and who he is. Or maybe just a lesson, eh.
For the Greater Good

Postby Glahardt » Sun May 13, 2012 8:45 pm

I don't really mind the typical bender being weak, since they're civilians and they probably don't even bother training much. What I do mind is having the    metal benders    getting    their asses handed to them    despite the fact that they're supposed to be    the best of the best,    and it seemed a bit strange that the    Equalists    were able to    sneak so much stuff    into the    stadium without anyone of them getting caught.    Also that the    metal benters left their backs wide open    when they're on    friggin' guard duty.    Honestly I expected better from    Lin    as well, considering that    she's supposed to be one of the tougher characters    in the series.

Postby DaCrum » Sun May 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Maybe the fact that Equalists have to rely entirely on their physical prowess and speed, rather than the speed of their elements, can explain why they have an upper hand on Benders. :?
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby EagleMan » Sun May 13, 2012 11:46 pm

DaCrum wrote:Maybe the fact that Equalists have to rely entirely on their physical prowess and speed, rather than the speed of their elements, can explain why they have an upper hand on Benders. :?

Yeah but Ty Lee was nowhere as good as these guys, even when they're without technology. The guy even said that the benders at the tournament are supposed to be the best in the world (so that aside they should at least be very good benders) and they were complete pushovers.

There is an element of surprise but either way it's really testing me just how badly the benders are being beaten every time. I'll just send this little stream of water! What do you mean I should make it wider to catch their monkey-moves and make it undodgeable? I'm the bender here, shut up.

It's like benders choose to be stupid when they're fighting the Equalists. Korra will send a straight stream of water when fighting them, but when in pursuit suddenly she can do this water tornado that can go nearly the height of an entire stadium. The power just seems mismatched. The benders have been reduced to basically shooting slow projectiles that can be dodged, which is different from the original series.

Either way the benders will start adequately taking on the Equalists at some point in direct combat, but it's still irritating me for now.

Postby DaCrum » Mon May 14, 2012 12:47 am

Perhaps the fact that Equalists have a bit of an element of fear plays into the Bender's lack of good bending? Bending requires a certain calm to them, so the more anxious you are, the more likely you'll just suck at bending. The exceptions are bending prodigies like Azula.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Senel » Mon May 14, 2012 7:21 am

Things started going downhill when everyone started wearing fire-retardant skin.

"I'M GOING TO SMACK THE LADY OFF OF YOUR DICK!"- BR
"Senel I had forgotten how gorgeous your face is." - Doctress
Praise the Sun

Location: That city where The Office supposedly takes place in.

Postby Princess » Mon May 14, 2012 9:57 am

EagleMan wrote:
DaCrum wrote:Maybe the fact that Equalists have to rely entirely on their physical prowess and speed, rather than the speed of their elements, can explain why they have an upper hand on Benders. :?

Yeah but Ty Lee was nowhere as good as these guys, even when they're without technology.

Ty Lee took out a group of earth benders who were defending Ba Sing Se, in The Drill episode, sooo.. she was that good. Especially seeing as they were defending a major city, I'd consider her pretty good.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Senel: Stuff is the patron saint of getting shitfaced. You replaced your organs with an engine that runs solely on alcohol.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby EagleMan » Mon May 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Yeah that was wrong. Looking back on some clips of her fighting she used her environment to bounce around while the Equalists just seems to have the powers of Flash on open ground, so I think that's what was bothering me.

Postby Princess » Tue May 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Senel: Stuff is the patron saint of getting shitfaced. You replaced your organs with an engine that runs solely on alcohol.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Tue May 15, 2012 1:39 pm

I was thinking about that, and it kinda, sorta makes sense, but really, having bending abilities isn't a handicap, no matter how you look at it. It can only ever be a problem if you're an idiot who can't balance your training.
EagleMan wrote:

Yeah but Ty Lee was nowhere as good as these guys, even when they're without technology. The guy even said that the benders at the tournament are supposed to be the best in the world (so that aside they should at least be very good benders) and they were complete pushovers.

They were pretty outnumbered though.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BobSagat » Tue May 15, 2012 9:39 pm

This is really reminding me of the whole "Why don't the the Jedis just force-crush General Grievous?" line of questioning when Clone Wars was still just an animated cartoon by Genndy Tartakovsky.

The answer is because General Grievous fucks with the Jedi's head and strikes fear into them.

Amon is scary enough to be pulling off the same tactic here.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:37 pm

Gotta say, really liked today's episode. Pushed the story ahead quite a bit.
   Giant platinum robots might be a bit out there, but ok, gives the equalists a way to win.   

Also,    "No, not my Cabbage Corp!"    made my day.
For the Greater Good

Postby Mir@k » Sat May 19, 2012 3:32 pm

The story has been boringly predictable imo. Image
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby EagleMan » Sun May 20, 2012 12:48 am

I like it. That moment with the ex-Bender guy was good too. Everyone's treated as an actual person instead of just a caricature.

I still am having trouble adjusting to the CGI stuff with all the machines. It just continues to look too out of place for me compared to the normal animation.

Postby Morpheus » Mon May 21, 2012 3:59 pm

I think the episode went well.
The cabbage merchant statue was amazing.
I just hope they can get to more open areas soon though.
That way so we can see some more powerful bending.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Princess » Mon May 21, 2012 5:19 pm

Poor Sokka, he still doesn't have a statue.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Morpheus » Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 am

He'll get a statue soon.
Covered in lizard crow droppings.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby DaCrum » Tue May 22, 2012 2:56 pm

Finally saw the new episode. Hot damn.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Princess » Tue May 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Lin is insane.

Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby DaCrum » Tue May 22, 2012 4:48 pm

And Asami can kick ass. Thank god she isn't an Equalist.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Remni » Wed May 23, 2012 9:23 am

Yeah I loved how Asami just effortlessly tore those two apart after she got the glove. I hope she keeps it for future use.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
||The soul sheds light and death is it's shadow. When the light dims, life and death embrace.||
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby EagleMan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Meelo. I hate you.

Postby Princess » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Ikki. I hate her.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion