Switch to full style
Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.
Post a reply

Let's plays, walkthroughs, and streams becoming illegal.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:25 am

http://www.destructoid.com/new-bill-to- ... 4982.phtml

http://shoryuken.com/2011/06/29/trollin ... ltradavid/

To sum it all up, they're trying to pass a bill to make all video game videos and streams illegal and the fact that if passed, anyone that uploaded a gaming video on Youtube and Streamed on JTV or where ever without a license, then everyone can get a fine and up 5 years in jail time.

Eyup. Just another target for easy money.

Re: Let's plays, walkthroughs, and streams becoming illegal.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:26 am

It also applies for movies, and music.

As I posted on Facebook, "Lobbyism at its best".

Here's a petition that you can sign for it if you'd like.

http://act.demandprogress.org/act/ten_strikes?source=fb

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:41 am

Oh no I sat on a friends couch and watched him play a game that I don't own! He's gonna go to jail!

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:02 am

Let's throw these government types for a loop and just start turning over cars and starting fires.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:37 pm

http://lparchive.org/Daikatana/ A certain LP has gotten me into LPs and I'd be sad to see them go.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:17 pm

They won't.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:12 pm

Wait, but isn't ALL types of art and entertainment (including video games) protected under the First Amendment, thus proving this to be not only unconstitutional, but a violation of free speech as well?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 pm

Rosso Rose wrote:Wait, but isn't ALL types of art and entertainment (including video games) protected under the First Amendment, thus proving this to be not only unconstitutional, but a violation of free speech as well?

This isn't first amendment contest, this is copyright law.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:46 pm

i hope they make let's play videos illegal
they're just fuckin dumb

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:00 pm

Grey wrote:i hope they make let's play videos illegal
they're just fuckin dumb

Yeah but it's my stupid government that is doing it, yours just wants to watch you watching videos.

At least we aren't in Australia.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:03 pm

what are you talking about i live in a perfectly safe non-orwellian metropolis that is not plagued by racial tensions at all and ensures a perfect life for all of its inhabitants full of friends family privacy and i am certainly not being watched as i type this post

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:16 pm

This bill is supported by the Obama Administration, I would be surprised if it doesn't pass

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:26 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:
Rosso Rose wrote:Wait, but isn't ALL types of art and entertainment (including video games) protected under the First Amendment, thus proving this to be not only unconstitutional, but a violation of free speech as well?

This isn't first amendment contest, this is copyright law.

It's still unconstitutional. The reason why the link I posted is relevant is because in the article, California is attempting to stop the selling of violent games to minors and this connects because the law is trying to stop people from streaming video games online via YouTube or other streaming sites. I feel these two matters are similar in some way because lawmakers that are involved in both cases are attempting to stop people from doing anything having to do with video games. Even if it is a copyright law matter, this still infringes the First Amendment as a way of disrupting the free flow of information, since walkthroughs and sometimes Let's Plays have some good tips and show people how to get through or bypass a few things.

The thing I'm saying here is that there are restrictions. The link I posted is one in my opinion would apply considering that it is coming from the United States Supreme Court of Justice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the news here, this is absurd because the video game industry doesn't even care If their shits' being uploaded. Hell, some developers even recognize some people's uploads and put them on their website. A fictional but somewhat applicable example is Valve putting up gameplay on their TF2 website of the Female Spy by TF2 fan ChemicalAlia, who created the Female Scout and Spy models. I think of these videos as fan-material to developers in which some appreciate very much.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Uploading video game footage is no different from uploading a movie to YouTube. You're essentially taking money away from the developers.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Rosso Rose wrote:I feel these two matters are similar in some way because lawmakers that are involved in both cases are attempting to stop people from doing anything having to do with video games.
wat

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Mathias wrote:Uploading video game footage is no different from uploading a movie to YouTube. You're essentially taking money away from the developers.

I tend to disagree on this one; I don't think that's ever been a problem at all. If we like something we see and don't have it, we can rent it and try it out and buy it If we really like it after all. I have some limits here when stating my disagreement since I don't know how some things work or don't remember when it comes to video games.

But I have supported a developer when I saw footage; SNK Playmore for example, I saw footage of NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, and it had Mizuchi in it, an Orochi clone. I happen to have liked the footage so much and the gameplay in it that when I went inside a video game store, I found the game by chance (luckily, it's hard to find now) and bought it to support SNK Playmore. And I do want to get KOFXIII If I get the chance (I saw footage of the game also), the game looks pretty solid.

And also, the title of this thread mentions "streams", does this apply to video game trailers and trailers with gameplay too? Even gameplay of F2P MMOs of any kind?

Grey wrote:
Rosso Rose wrote:I feel these two matters are similar in some way because lawmakers that are involved in both cases are attempting to stop people from doing anything having to do with video games.
wat

It's hard to word it out, to make more sense of it, I would say that the lawmakers in both cases are stopping whatever people involved from showing the same audience from viewing or buying video games of any kind.
Last edited by Glacial Expanse on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Mathias wrote:Uploading video game footage is no different from uploading a movie to YouTube. You're essentially taking money away from the developers.

That's weird logic. Video games are interactive media. I don't remember too many times I saw some YouTube footage or watched unskippable and said man I don't need to play that game.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Well then why else would it be an issue?

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:04 pm

because the developers are sometimes grade A assholes.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:34 pm

But they'll have to come up with some reason to rationalize it, and what I suggested seems to be the most appropriate.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm sure they will try to find some fair use loop hole.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:48 pm

zepherin wrote:because the developers are sometimes grade A assholes.

Now THIS I'm pretty sure, there is an example. I'm not asking you for one though, but I'm sure there is one that I just can't remember.

Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:51 pm

It's probably the big publishers who are pushing this, they have more to lose on these videos showing that a game isn't worth buying or even renting. The small publishers and quality developers enjoy playthrough videos because it's free publicity.

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:50 am

Grey wrote:i hope they make let's play videos illegal
they're just fuckin dumb

You're fuckin dumb!

Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:It's probably the big publishers who are pushing this, they have more to lose on these videos showing that a game isn't worth buying or even renting. The small publishers and quality developers enjoy playthrough videos because it's free publicity.

MPAA and the other recording studio lobbyists actually. I think video games were an after thought on this bill.
Post a reply