End of an Era: The Last Arcade

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

End of an Era: The Last Arcade

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue May 10, 2011 1:56 am

http://vimeo.com/21675538

It's not something new to share here in this thread, it's something I gotta share.

Some stuff I recognized in there: Metal Slug, DDR, Initial D Arcade Stage 4, and other stuff.

But it makes me want to say many things though. Firstly, I'd have to say that it's a shame that this had to happen. I never played much arcade games when I was kid, but damn, really, it's a shame. I don't remember well of the old days but the arcades...they were so fantastic. I'd imagine right now that I'm buying these tokens and inserting them away trying to finish an arcade game with much persistence. At one point, I managed to finish one, and it's hard for me to believe now that was also going to be my last. If I ever want to play another arcade game, I just emulate them.

I promised myself that I'll be posting game-related stuff to the Clan Snafu forum but I had to bring this up here instead. I'm gonna miss my childhood more than ever now with this happening here, there, and everywhere.... *sigh*

Well then, I guess this is it. The only wish that I would have loved to ever come true is that arcades games get modernized. But unfortunately it didn't. Who wants to spend money on playing MvC3 or Tekken at the arcades when you can play it online?
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Re: End of an Era: The Last Arcade

Postby Marquis de Soth » Tue May 10, 2011 2:24 am

Thank goodness you can have your own personal arcade at home hmm?
Marquis de Soth

Postby Jay » Tue May 10, 2011 2:31 am

Ouch. I knew the NY scene was lagging behind SoCal and Texas, but this?

That's a pretty rough hit.
みんなのモデレーターToastCrustだよ★
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | Tumblr | MAL

Postby zepherin » Tue May 10, 2011 2:44 am

I used to go to arcades when I was young. They were huge in Colorado for about 5 years until the bottum fell out and they all just closed. Now adays in DC if I want arcade action I go to Dave and Busters. "If you want a better steak in an arcade setting, your shit out of luck."
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue May 10, 2011 3:22 am

Lord Soth wrote:Thank goodness you can have your own personal arcade at home hmm?

Yeah. I need the chds for the Street Fighter games for MAME though so I can play that even for the King of Fighters games. I'll try the first two Tekken games also, so it's mainly fighting games for me. I got Tekken Tag Tournament, Namco's version of Street Fighter EX known as Fighting Layer, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

Postby Vegedus » Tue May 10, 2011 4:07 am

I hope we get more of these instead.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Froggy » Tue May 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Arcades were a big part of my life when I was growing up, every time I see an arcade go out business it makes me feel sad. I know arcades are unnecessary in today's world, still, they are something I would like my potential kids to experience. Man, nothing compares to the excitement of getting a hand full of change, in an arcade, when you are a little kid.
"An honest man is one who knows that he can't consume more than he has produced"
Ayn Rand -Atlas Shrugged-

Postby Slick » Tue May 10, 2011 9:35 pm

Arcades were kinda few and far between here in SC years ago. Now there is only one anywhere around the city of Columbia(Frankie's Fun Park)!

I really wish arcades were still around cause you got to meat other players/see them face to face.

Postby Mattydread » Wed May 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Birthday parties at arcades were the shit as a kid! Unlimited credits on the old 4-player cabinets with X-Men and Ninja Turtles were the peak of my arcade experience. Then I got older and every game I wanted to play cost a full dollar and that was the end of that.

Except for Top Skater. My friends and I used to play that at a mini-golf course nearly every day after school for a while.

Also.... Daaaaaaaayyyyytoooooooooonnnnaaaaaaaaa! The wall-length sets of racing games were a blast too.

alright, that's about all the reminiscing I got.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed May 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Racing game were awesome too! Daytona's awesome. I remember going to a place at Guam called GameWorks and it was so AWESOME! I still can't believe there's a GameWorks here in Seattle. I gotta go there when I have the time.
-Hippocrates

Postby Icha » Wed May 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Wow, I remember seeing that place sometime last year...that's so sad.
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Jay » Thu May 12, 2011 1:39 am

GAME OVER YEEEEEEEEAH
みんなのモデレーターToastCrustだよ★
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | Tumblr | MAL

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu May 12, 2011 1:44 am

Jay wrote:GAME OVER YEEEEEEEEAH

Man I wanna play Sega Rally too. I saw an arcade for it the other day, but I don't really get the chance to play arcades anymore.
-Hippocrates

Return to Snafu General Discussion