8.9 earthquake just striked Japan (UPDATE: Donation drive)

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

8.9 earthquake just striked Japan (UPDATE: Donation drive)

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:30 am

If any of you can, you guys can help by donating to this website. As of now, the donation drive has already raised over $1000. It's setup by Mr. S of CSToys: http://superherotime.chipin.com/super-hero-time

it's really bad. really really bad

I have no time to post the article just look at it, I have to notify the other communites sorry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

EDIT: God, I just forgot to mention that warnings have also been stated in Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Guam (BeeAre is okay right? God bless him), Phillipines, Hawaii, Indonnesia

Oh my god I was just told that a tsunami was about to arrive now

Move up to higher ground, move inland, hurry please

EDIT2:

MORE MORE MORE INFORMATION http://www.justin.tv/live_news#/w/948725776/19

EDIT3: I'm sorry If I freaked out there earlier. My older brother woke me up and told me about this while I was sleeping within the midnight hour. Here is the article.

BBC wrote:A massive earthquake has hit the north-east of Japan, triggering a tsunami that has caused extensive damage.

Japanese television showed cars, ships and even buildings being swept away by a vast wall of water after the 8.9 magnitude earthquake.

The quake has sparked fires in several areas including Tokyo, and numerous casualties are feared.

It struck about 250 miles (400km) from the capital at a depth of 20 miles. There have been powerful aftershocks.

The tremor at 1446 local time (0546 GMT). Seismologists say it is one of the largest earthquakes to hit Japan for many years.

The tsunami warning was extended to the Philippines, Indonesia, Taiwan, the Pacific coast of Russia and Hawaii.

Tsunami waves hit Japan's Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, officials said.

Japan's NHK television showed a massive surge of debris-filled water sweeping away buildings, cars and ships and reaching far inland.

The earthquake also triggered a number of fires, including one at an oil refinery in Ichihara city in Chiba prefecture near Tokyo, engulfing storage tanks.

There were reports of about 20 people injured in Tokyo after the roof of a hall collapsed onto a graduation ceremony.

Bullet train service to northern Japan was halted, rapid transit in Tokyo was suspended and some nuclear power plants automatically shut down.

Prime Minister Naoto Kan said there had been no radiation leaks.

In a televised address, he extended his sympathy to the victims of the disaster and said an emergency response headquarters had been set up.
Last edited by Wulfespinndel on Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: 8.9 earthquake just striked Japan

Postby Tuor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:55 am

Pretty scary stuff watching the tsunami wash over the Japanese countryside on BBC.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:05 am

I have some Japanese exchange students coming to my school and I'm not sure If they'll be coming but If they managed to get out in time then they'll be staying in Washington longer than a week. These situations have made me gone mad, and I was just told that 5 more Japanese died
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Tuor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:07 am

It's up to 19 now according to the BBC, with many reported missing.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:25 am

Shit and I don't know If it striked the Phillippines yet but I got relatives there

I hope they're okay

Especially BeeAre who may live in Guam at the moment
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:27 am

TOKYO TOWER JUST BENT

http://www.jiji.com/jc/d4?d=d4_topics&a ... lp10575297

The top of Tokyo Tower seems bent under the influence of earthquake-11 pm, Minato-ku, Tokyo
 According to the agency, 11 at 2:00 pm 46 minutes, with a magnitude earthquake off the coast of Sanriku (M) 8.8 earthquake occurs, seismic intensity of 7 was observed in the northern part of Miyagi Prefecture. 24 minutes even at 3 in the M7.4 aftershock of six weak intensity were observed in other southern Ibaraki Prefecture. The Meteorological Agency issued a tsunami warning to the Pacific coast from Hokkaido to the Kanto region. In addition to the arrival of the new port to 10 meters high tsunami Sendai, Soma City, Fukushima Prefecture, said in 50 minutes 7.3 m to 3 pm, 21 minutes in the city of Kamaishi the same 4.1-meter tsunami Check was. According to the Iwate Prefecture, Kamaishi, Miyako, a tsunami struck the coastal town of Yamada, houses have been washed away. According to the Tokyo Fire Department, at the Kudan Kaikan ceiling to fall, also have come up with several injured, a fire has occurred and Ikebukuro in 10 locations including Odaiba, Tokyo. According to the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Tohoku Electric Power nuclear power plant shut down automatically Onagawa operation. Fukushima Daiichi TEPCO nuclear power plant was shut down automatically to drive a second. The whole line JR East Shinkansen and conventional lines in the metropolitan area, has also postponed all lines operated by Tokyo Metro. Iwate, Miyagi, Fukushima, the height of the expected future tsunami on the Pacific coast of Chiba Prefecture, at least every 10 meters, eight meters of the Aomori. (March 11, 2011) [Jiji]
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Tuor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:51 am

The Philippines hasn't been hit yet.

26 dead now in Japan
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sentios » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:06 am

Up to 32
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Tuor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:13 am

This is apparantly the sixth largest earthquake ever recorded (since records began in 1900), which makes this death toll amazing
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sentios » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:24 am

Japan gets earthquakes frequently, they're very prepared to handle them.

All of the nuclear plants for example are designed to shut down automatically when there is an earthquake of significant magnitude. Which from what I'm reading has occurred as planned.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Tuor » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:41 am

Yup, it's pretty nifty.

Up to 44
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Spoopy Princess » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:03 am

I just saw this, yes people died, but they're pretty lucky. Compared to what could happen to people who aren't prepared for this kind of stuff, I mean.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Spoopy Princess » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 am

The tsunami is hitting Hawaii right now. Hope Rowby(if you know who he is on this forum) is okay.
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:05 am

My best friend lives in HI.

Postby Spoopy Princess » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:06 am

Have you heard from him?
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:10 am

Naw, he's sleeping.

Postby Morpheus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:13 am

Wow, last time it missed Rowby.
Hope he's gonna be ok.

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:09 am

Man this is fucked up. Just last week there was a 5.7 over here, the hell is going on?
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby Mathias » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:13 am

WE'S ALL GONNA DIE!

Postby Spoopy Princess » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:13 am

Stufflikehearts wrote:2012 2012!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Fummoffu » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:17 am

Just remember that you're all going to end up coming to South Africa whether you like or not. Just like in the movie.
"Haha"
Buy Gold
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:18 am

Are they gonna put us into refugee districts like they did with those pr0ns?

Postby Wizard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:25 am

>striked
>not struck

I guess the Japs are going to be hit even harder, too:
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/76585.html

Weird shit going down at a nuclear power plant, yo.

Postby Spoopy Princess » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:27 am

To have fuller access to the Kyodo News website, it is necessary to subscribe. We offer a broad range of subscription options depending on your needs. Learn more.

I'm not subscribing. Thanks for the shit link.
Last edited by Spoopy Princess on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mathias » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:28 am

I knew, when i saw that Wizard had posted, that he would correct the title.
And I was surely right.
Obviously, Wizard, he was in a panic. It's not really important, anyway.

Nuclear stuff sucks.

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion