HOLY SHIT

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

HOLY SHIT

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/374-ac ... franchise/

Yahoo wrote:Did you hear that? It's the fat lady, singing her heart out.

Activision released a bombshell today during their latest earnings report by announcing that the once-vaunted Guitar Hero franchise will be unceremoniously put to rest for the forseeable future.

"Due to continued declines in the music genre, the company will disband Activision Publishing's Guitar Hero business unit and discontinue development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011," the company said in a statement.

It's just the latest bad news to hit the ailing music game genre. The most recent Guitar Hero game, Warriors of Rock, failed to ignite the sales charts, and in December of 2010, media giant Viacom sold off Rock Band developer Harmonix. Just last week, longtime Rock Band publisher MTV Games was officially shut down.

In addition to Guitar Hero, Activision has halted development on its True Crime: Hong Kong action game.

"These decisions are based on the desire to focus on the greatest opportunities that the company currently has to create the world's best interactive entertainment experiences," they explained.

In a conference call, Activision said about 500 employees -- roughly 7% of its work force -- will be laid off by the cancellations.

It's not all doom and gloom, however, as Activision also revealed plans to support its Call of Duty franchise by forming a new internal studio. Dubbed "Beachhead," the team is tasked with creating a "best-in-class online community, exclusive content, and a suite of services" for the best-selling shooter series. The company will also be investing in a new online multiplayer game from World of WarCraft makers Blizzard.

First released on 2005 for the Playstation 2, Guitar Hero ushered in a lucrative era of music gaming. According to Activision, its 2007 iteration, Guitar Hero III, set an industry record by being the first video game to earn over $1 billion in retail sales. It's all been downhill from there, however, as the one-two punch of an economic downturn and an oversaturated music game market resulted in stagnant sales and dwindling consumer interest in the franchise.

This company's a bitch.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: HOLY SHIT

Postby Mathias » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:39 pm

I am not affected by this.

Postby Princess » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Nor am I.
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby zepherin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Thats odd the guitar hero 5 made a shit load of money. I guess warriors of rock only did decent but it was still profitable, maybe they just thought the market was too saturated. Interesting. I think the layoffs are silly because they could put them to work on something new and innovative.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Whatis6times9 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 am

No shock about the no new Guitar Hero, the market has become over saturated and the DLC model is much better. Activision doesn't need to be innovative as long as they can keep pumping out CoD games and have Blizzard pulling in who know how much from WoW.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby zepherin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:59 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:No shock about the no new Guitar Hero, the market has become over saturated and the DLC model is much better. Activision doesn't need to be innovative as long as they can keep pumping out CoD games and have Blizzard pulling in who know how much from WoW.

A billion a year from WoW. It is a quarter of their revenue. And all of their profit.
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Rival » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:07 pm

That's actually a lot less than I would've expected given how much my guildmates spent on stupid shit, like character redesigning, race changing or exclusive tabards and pets, when I played WoW.

Though a billion a year for a seven year old game, is still huge of course.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby zepherin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Rival wrote:That's actually a lot less than I would've expected given how much my guildmates spent on stupid shit, like character redesigning, race changing or exclusive tabards and pets, when I played WoW.

Though a billion a year for a seven year old game, is still huge of course.

Yes that is good, but still there are only so many people blasting out retarded cash on exclusives.

Postby smileyblacksun » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:33 am

About time! They ran out of good songs a long time ago...
And God looked down upon the mortals and said: "...wtf are you noobs doing on my lawn?"

That's the problem with worshipping the god of schemes. You never quite know whether or not you're being divinely blessed, screwed over royally, or both at the same time.

Postby Ace of Flames » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:27 pm

I love to listen to good music. So why the Hell would I pay over $100 just to screw that up by pretend-playing it myself? The enjoyment of every song would be subverted by it's reliance on how well I can keep rythem, which is not at all. If I must ruin music with my own lack of talent, I'd much rather do it on a real instrument.

Rythem games are the most ill-conceived genre since sports sims.
I am Michael the Dick-Stabber; I seek out rapists and other such perverts to stab them in the dick!
(Inspired by Twilight Princess)

Postby Glahardt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:33 pm

Yeah, AudioSurf is a good example of a rhythm game. Its so colorful.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Return to Snafu General Discussion