Did anyone see this warning yet?

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Did anyone see this warning yet?

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:29 pm

http://kotaku.com/5566671/nintendo-test ... o-avoid-3d
http://techland.time.com/2011/01/05/war ... and-under/

Kotaku wrote:Some people got "Nintendo thumb." Others complained of "Wii elbow." Should we next worry about "3DS Headache"?

The novel glasses-free 3D display of the Nintendo 3DS has "no health issues," Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime told Kotaku this week, though he added a caveat regarding the youngest of Nintendo consumers.

"We are working with the experts in the field," he said. "We've done extensive testing. We have a legacy of bringing only the best and finest products to the marketplace.

Fils-Aime was addressing concerns that the system's eye-popping tech might cause headaches or other unpleasantness if viewed for an extended period of time. The 3DS' top screen uses undisclosed technology and optical tricks to make a user looking directly at the screen feel as if the graphics of the game they are playing have added depth, the difference between looking at a movie that shows fish and a fishtank.

The one population of players he would like to keep from using the optional 3D display of the 3DS are children under seven.

"We will recommend that very young children not look at 3D images," he said. "That's because, [in] young children, the muscles for the eyes are not fully formed... This is the same messaging that the industry is putting out with 3D movies, so it is a standard protocol. We have the same type of messaging for the [1990s Nintendo virtual reality machine] Virtual Boy, as an example."

Fils-Aime said that "young children" cut-off edge would be around seven. Kids are certainly a relevant portion of Nintendo's audience, eager consumers of games like Pokemon and Nintendogs, the latter of which will see a sequel called Nintendogs + Cats on the 3DS. A slider on the 3DS allows a user to decrease and eventually shut off the machine's 3D display, flattening the game graphics to the more conventional flat look.

Kotaku writers including myself tried the 3DS at E3. I played and played and viewed several enjoyable games and videos in 3D. While I noticed that a direct viewing angle was needed to appreciate the 3D effect, I did not experience any optical or physical discomfort. Others on the team said that one or another of the games did make them feel queasy if viewed from the wrong angle. Actively messing with the slider that controls the intensity of the system's 3D effect by swiftly switching it up and down many times did leave one of our team members with a two-day eye ache. Moving it gently left another one of us with no such ailment. Most people I spoke to who had tried the system did not complain of discomfort, but none of us has played the 3DS for more than a few minutes.

Fils-Aime also talked to Kotaku about other elements of the 3DS. He confirmed that the system will be out before the end of March 2011. The 3DS form factor that was shown at E3 should not be considered final, he said, though the company plans to manufacture the extendable stylus shown with the 3DS. He said the company was still determining whether games for the machine would be region-locked, so as to only play, like most console games, in systems sold in certain regions of the world. He noted that downloadable games for the DSi were the first games for Nintendo's DS line to be region-locked.

The Nintendo of America president declined to name a price for the system, but on the subject of battery life, he offered, "Has there ever been a Nintendo handheld without a good battery life?" Asked if that meant people could expect a comparable level of battery life as they get with their DSes, he said they could.

Techland.Time.com wrote:If your child is already begging you for a Nintendo 3DS, you might want to consider the following warming. On Nintendo's Japanese website (although we're quite sure the notice extends to those who live Stateside), it says that children under the age of six should not use the 3D technology because it may cause developmental problems in their eyes. You don't have to completely the children, however. The 3DS does come with a switch to render all images in 2D, and that type of viewing is safe for people of all ages.

Other recommendations for gamers over six include taking a break after 30 minutes of play (Fat chance of that happening if you're playing Resident Evil: Revelations) and stopping if you feel dizzy or sick. (Well, duh!) The company has determined what roughly translates to a "likelihood of fatigue" when playing titles on the handheld gaming console. We're also betting the 3DS is going to cause some sore thumbs.

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime was aware of this problem back in June 2010 and spoke to Kotaku regarding the issue. "We will recommend that very young children not look at 3D images. That's because, [in] young children, the muscles for the eyes are not fully formed," he told the website, adding that the same warning is added on 3D movies and on the old 1990s Nintendo Virtual Boy. Fils-Aime said that the company's research determined that the 3D technology did not caused any health problems for older users.

I'm not shocked at this or anything, but it makes me curious about the dangers itself.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: Did anyone see this warning yet?

Postby Sentios » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:25 pm

The question is if there are dangers or if Nintendo is just covering it's ass.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:49 am

I'm definitely waiting for the second 3ds, so they can make 3d better [aka less hurtful, chances are there'll be problems with it].

Not to mention the battery lasting like 4 hours.
A Pimp Named Jeezy Creezy: Lasting all the way up to Valentine's.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

"Sleepery Dee, Sleepery Doo.
Whoever betrays me tonight, I'll mo'fuckin' cap you!"

Postby Mathias » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:35 am

I hate 3D movies.

Postby KingOf TheWorld » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:14 am

Is it because of the glasses? I've seen 3D TVs before and they're nothing special, they just look like SDs and they have larger pixel places that only work with the glasses.....So, yeah. They suck.

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:00 pm

3DS will not use glasses and utilizes a completely different technology from Sony's 3D televisions.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Monkeys85 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:42 pm

I've only enjoyed 2 movies that were in 3d, How to train your dragon and Avatar, that said, I don't see the point of a portable 3d game system. Everything makes sense to me about the 3ds, except for the 3d part.

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:58 pm

sooooooooooooooooooo

turn it off? 3d isn't necessary and there IS a setting for it.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

Postby Sentios » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 pm

To be fair 3D is rather pointless when you can only view it from a fixed angle...
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:24 am

I don't think anybody who is excited over the 3ds is excited solely because of the 3d. The majority I've seen are more excited about the updated graphics and the games in it.

the 3d WILL be nice in games you can enjoy it in, like say the Ocarina of Time remake.

Postby Jay » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:50 am

Sentios wrote:To be fair 3D is rather pointless when you can only view it from a fixed angle...

That's why the head tracking possibilities excite me more.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Return to Snafu General Discussion