North Korea warns of "sacred war" in standoff with South

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

North Korea warns of "sacred war" in standoff with South

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:29 pm

http://www.newsdaily.com/stories/toe6bg ... rea-north/

NewsDaily wrote:South Korea's land and sea exercises prompted North Korea, which has threatened to reduce the South to ashes on many occasions, to denounce its richer neighbor as a warmonger.

"To counter the enemy's intentional drive to push the situation to the brink of war, our revolutionary forces are making preparations to begin a sacred war at any moment necessary based on nuclear deterrent," North Korea's KCNA news agency quoted Minister of Armed Forces Kim Yong-chun as saying.

State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said "we need constructive actions, not heated rhetoric" from Pyongyang.

"The last thing the region needs from North Korea is more threatening rhetoric," he said in Washington.

North Korea has wielded its nuclear capability threat before but analysts say it has no way to launch a nuclear device.

Tension reached a peak last month when North Korea shelled a southern island, Yeonpyeong, killing four people, in response to a South Korean live-fire drill in what the North said were its waters.

The North has since made a conciliatory gesture, offering to re-admit U.N. nuclear inspectors worried about its nuclear weapons program.

"We've seen North Korea flip-flop from threatening the South with nuclear war before the military exercises, then a day later ignore that the exercises took place, launch a peace initiative, and now, just days later, once again threaten with nuclear war," said Mark Hibbs of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

"The flip-flopping is part of North Korea's tactic to keep everyone guessing and off balance."

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak said on a tour of a forward army base overlooking North Korea that the South would not relax its readiness to counter any further aggression.

"We had believed patience would ensure peace on this land, but that was not the case," Lee, criticized for a perceived weak earlier response to North Korean attacks, told troops.

South Korea held a big land drill in the Pocheon region between Seoul and the heavily armed demilitarized zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas. It also continued naval live-fire exercises 100 km (60 miles) south of the maritime border.

The drill involved a larger scale of firepower and personnel than usual for an exercise at the army training ground, a further indication that Lee wants to show the public his government can stand up to the North.

'AGGRESSIVE RHETORIC'

A large contingent of mechanized units operating tanks, three dozen self-propelled artillery, fighter jets and multiple rocket launchers took part in the live-fire drill just miles from the border. It lasted just less than an hour.

A British Foreign Office spokesman defended South Korea's decision to hold the exercises.

"South Korea has every right to conduct defensive military exercises in its territory," he said. "We urge North Korea to cease its aggressive rhetoric and refrain from provocative actions."

Lee has replaced his top defense officials with more hawkish military men, a response to criticism of his response to hostile acts, including an attack on a ship in March blamed on the North and the shelling of Yeonpyeong.

"We are facing a crisis because of North Korea, so I came to see this air and ground operation. I want to feel and see the level of South Korea's armed forces," said Kim Tae-dong, a 70-year-old Internet businessman, in Pocheon.

"Another North Korean provocation will happen. We should prepare our military perfectly for that."

Seoul's financial markets closed flat before the KCNA threats. Pyongyang's remarks have failed in the past to have a lasting market effect and South Korean credit-default swaps, a measure of credit risk, were unchanged.

But the recent tensions have spooked global markets and now figure in research notes from major banks such as Bank of New York Mellon, Royal Bank of Canada and Sweden's SEB.

Alastair Newton, a former British diplomat who is now a political analyst for Japanese bank Nomura, said the North's rhetoric was "the sort of thing we've heard before."

"But there's no doubt we are ... in the most dangerous situation on the Korean peninsula in decades."

DISPUTED WATERS

Analysts say the North is unlikely to launch a further attack against the South, in the near-term at least.

For now, the North is likely to wait and see if its latest actions, including the offer to readmit international nuclear inspectors, yield results such as a return to international talks on its nuclear program or economic aid.

China, the impoverished North's only major ally, has urged dialogue to resolve the crisis and has been reluctant to lay blame, frustrating Washington and its allies who want Beijing to do more to rein in Pyongyang.

President Barack Obama is expected to press this point when Chinese President Hu Jintao visits the United States on January 19.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu, when asked about the South Korean drills, repeated China's call for a resumption of the so-called six-party talks.

"The current situation on the Korean peninsula remains highly complex," she told a regular news briefing. "We urge parties concerned to exercise calm and restraint."

"In the beginning God made the Universe. Everything else was made in China."

Got that from some crazy guy but LOL
"Declare the past, diagnose the present, foretell the future; practice these acts. As to diseases, make a habit of two things — to help, or at least to do no harm."
-Hippocrates

KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
No. of Combat Arms Unbelievables: 3
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Re: North Korea warns of "sacred war" in standoff with South

Postby zepherin » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:42 pm

fuck north korea

they need to nut up or shut up.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Grey » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:09 am

i really hope this shit doesnt kick off for a few more years
i've got plans to be part of the barely-over-a-dozen tourists that get allowed in once a year in 2012 or 2013
it'd be like dipping in to an asian 1984 for 2 weeks
or 20 days i can't remember which, but i get to see the mass games
thousands performing in the stadium for an audience of 10
i love it
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Postby zepherin » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:15 am

Sweet you get to be a part of the bourgeois elites. Don't get caught taking pictures of unauthorized things.
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Sentios » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:55 am

zepherin wrote:Sweet you get to be a part of the bourgeois elites. Don't get caught taking pictures of unauthorized things.

IE: Anything.
Wizard Status. 5 more years
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Glahardt » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:20 am

Postby Mirak's Mod Ghost » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Awesome.
Patt-Ytto Productions | Dickwaffles

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Honestly North Korea is like that tough poodle of your neighbor's. You'll walk alongside their house then all of a sudden he jumps at you through the fence and you can't help but scream since it surprised the shit out of you.

But little by little your patience will grow thin. And one of these days the neighborhood, especially the big man with the gigantic house called Mr. Redneck, is gonna go with Mr. Ching Chong Chang and beat the living crap out of that poodle until he realizes who is the pack leader.
A Pimp Named Jeezy Creezy: Lasting all the way up to Valentine's.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

"Sleepery Dee, Sleepery Doo.
Whoever betrays me tonight, I'll mo'fuckin' cap you!"

Postby EagleMan » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:30 pm

zepherin wrote:Sweet you get to be a part of the bourgeois elites. Don't get caught taking pictures of unauthorized things.

I think procedure is that they take your camera afterwards (or check it regularly with one final time before departure) and delete any pictures they deem unacceptable.

Postby Icha » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Ah, this would be a good time to invest in a camera beard...
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby zepherin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:00 am

EagleMan wrote:

I think procedure is that they take your camera afterwards (or check it regularly with one final time before departure) and delete any pictures they deem unacceptable.

I've been told they have a person with you who watches what your doing and points out things you can take pictures of. They also might check your camera.

Postby Glahardt » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:14 am

Also if taking photos when permitted, be sure to not adopt any weird poses.
I saw one guy got his ass deported (in a documentary) for lying on the ground when taking a photo of Jong-Jong's statue.

Postby Grey » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:31 am

i was watchin a documentary and this dude wasn't allowed to stand in front of a picture of kim jong il when they were taking a photo of it
it was disrespectful
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Postby BlackEve » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:12 pm

It's disappointing how North Korea's trying to make a horrendous fit out of their Southern Country.

Return to Snafu General Discussion