Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient'

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient'

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:49 pm

The Huffington Post wrote:On the heels of World AIDS Day comes a stunning medical breakthrough: Doctors believe an HIV-positive man who underwent a stem cell transplant has been cured as a result of the procedure.

Timothy Ray Brown, also known as the "Berlin Patient," received the transplant in 2007 as part of a lengthy treatment course for leukemia. His doctors recently published a report in the journal Blood affirming that the results of extensive testing "strongly suggest that cure of HIV infection has been achieved."

Brown's case paves a path for constructing a permanent cure for HIV through genetically-engineered stem cells.

Last week, Time named another AIDS-related discovery to its list of the Top 10 Medical Breakthroughs of 2010. Recent studies show that healthy individuals who take antiretrovirals, medicine commonly prescribed for treating HIV, can reduce their risk of contracting the disease by up to 73 percent.

While these developments by no means prove a cure for the virus has been found, they can certainly provide hope for the more than 33 million people living with HIV worldwide. Alongside such findings, global efforts to combat the epidemic have accelerated as of late, with new initiatives emerging in the Philippines and South Africa this week.

What the hell...
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: Stem Cell Transplant Cures HIV In 'Berlin Patient'

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:55 pm

What's so "What the hell" about this?
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby zepherin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:09 pm

hrmmm I didn't think stem cells would be effective against HIV. I always assumed that HIV would infect the incoming stem cells.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Asis » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Yet another (first step in finding a) cure brought up by pure luck.

Postby Sentios » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:36 pm

zepherin wrote:hrmmm I didn't think stem cells would be effective against HIV. I always assumed that HIV would infect the incoming stem cells.

Perhaps they give the existing cells the extra push neccessary to fight back?

Or perhaps by being in the presence of the virus they can grow resistant to it... kinda like that arsenic bacteria?

Or perhaps it's a fluke?
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby zepherin » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Sentios wrote:
zepherin wrote:hrmmm I didn't think stem cells would be effective against HIV. I always assumed that HIV would infect the incoming stem cells.

Perhaps they give the existing cells the extra push neccessary to fight back?

Or perhaps by being in the presence of the virus they can grow resistant to it... kinda like that arsenic bacteria?

Or perhaps it's a fluke?

After looking it up more in depth with other links it makes more sense. The treatment was for leukemia, but the scientist used stem cells from one of the rare people who are immune to HIV, not a carrier but simply immune, also they carry plague immunity too because both attack lymph nodes. Anyways the treatment for leukemia destroys the immune system to nothing so they refilled the immune system with HIV immune cells.
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Mathias » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:39 am

So stem cells are a cure-all? We're saved!

Postby zepherin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:53 am

Mathias wrote:So stem cells are a cure-all? We're saved!

Not quite. The treatment of destroying the immune system has a high probability of death. This guy had Leukemia and HIV. Man that is unlucky.

There are some treatments with Stem cell therapy that are fantastically effective. I know someone who's spine was a zig zag do to Scoliosis, which would have probably been correctable if he wasn't also a race car driver, and a courier. So his back was jacked up. The old style of surgery requires being laid up in bed for 9 months and they break your spine put in place and then fuse it together. He gets 40 percent mobility with the old method. Under this method he got 80 percent of his mobility back and they set his back and put a cage around it and then pumped some shit into his back that was keyed to his DNA. He was up and around in 4 weeks...although the doctor told him 6 cause he's a stubborn old fucker.

I also like stem cells for nerve and heart damage, but the goal is to prevent heart attacks.

Postby Jonathon Redley » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Were the stem cells involved embryonic or not?
Quote of the Moment
Nix wrote:Forget constructive dialog, debate or differing points of view; from now on I think we should all just throw shoes whenever we disagree with somebody. That's what civilized, responsible people do. Eat shoe, political detractors!

Postby Sentios » Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:33 pm

After looking it up more in depth with other links it makes more sense. The treatment was for leukemia, but the scientist used stem cells from one of the rare people who are immune to HIV, not a carrier but simply immune, also they carry plague immunity too because both attack lymph nodes. Anyways the treatment for leukemia destroys the immune system to nothing so they refilled the immune system with HIV immune cells.

That makes sense, though I wasn't aware there were people immune to HIV to start with...

zepherin wrote:I also like stem cells for nerve and heart damage, but the goal is to prevent heart attacks.

Aren't stem cells also involved in the organ printing research or are those straight ordinary healthy cells?

Postby zepherin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Jonathon Redley wrote:Were the stem cells involved embryonic or not?

Embryonic stem cells are old busted joint. The new hotness is to use adult stem cells, that's how they knew the person the original stem cells came from was immune to HIV. Actually the best stem cells come from the person originally. IE if you Mr Redley had a problem we pull the stem cells out of your bone marrow and multiply millions of cells to trillions of cells. They are already coded to your DNA and your body has almost no chance of rejection because they came from you. Only problem is his cells are all jacked up from leukemia and hiv so he needed a donor.

Sentios:
CCR5-Δ32 is a deletion mutation of a gene that has a specific impact on the function of T cells. CCR5-Δ32 is widely dispersed throughout Northern Europe and in those of Northern European descent. It has been hypothesized that this allele was favored by natural selection during the Black Death.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCR5

Postby Jonathon Redley » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:35 pm

zepherin wrote:
Jonathon Redley wrote:Were the stem cells involved embryonic or not?

Embryonic stem cells are old busted joint. The new hotness is to use adult stem cells, that's how they knew the person the original stem cells came from was immune to HIV

Good. That was my only quibble; I'm pro-stem cell, so long as they're not embryonic.
Quote of the Moment
Nix wrote:Forget constructive dialog, debate or differing points of view; from now on I think we should all just throw shoes whenever we disagree with somebody. That's what civilized, responsible people do. Eat shoe, political detractors!

Postby zepherin » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:59 am

Jonathon Redley wrote:Good. That was my only quibble; I'm pro-stem cell, so long as they're not embryonic.

Meh to me it doesn't really matter so much other than what is the most effective. Embryonic material we throw away when we could use it. Seems wasteful, but in this case not they did not use embryonic, and in most cases it is looking like it is not the most effective stem cells to use.

Postby Sentios » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:34 am

zepherin wrote:Sentios:
CCR5-Δ32 is a deletion mutation of a gene that has a specific impact on the function of T cells. CCR5-Δ32 is widely dispersed throughout Northern Europe and in those of Northern European descent. It has been hypothesized that this allele was favored by natural selection during the Black Death.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCR5

Ah I see.
Though I was only mentioning tissue engineering because it can use stem cells, though it does not require them.

Jonathon Redley wrote:Good. That was my only quibble; I'm pro-stem cell, so long as they're not embryonic.

:/
Last edited by Sentios on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Riz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:00 am

so what I'm taking from this is that bone marrow/stem cells in general are only a cure if the donor is HIV-immune?
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Return to Snafu General Discussion