DADT Repealed

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

DADT Repealed

Postby EagleMan » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:24 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40715888/ns ... ?GT1=43001

I was wary when Obama said he wanted it repeal legislatively.. it seemed too big a way to risk it when judicially it seemed much easier. Guess his gamble came through. Very late though.

Re: DADT Repealed

Postby Monkeys85 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Too bad the dream act wasn't passed, still I'm happy for the gays, this is a huge victory for them.

Postby Valhallen » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:37 am

A bit of pedantry, but "don't ask, don't tell" wasn't the bad thing. Homosexuals have been banned from the US military from the beginning. Clinton campaigned in part on repealing the ban, failed to do so, and introduced DADT as a compromise such that homosexuals were still technically forbidden, but the military couldn't proactively seek and expel them. DADT is thus a restriction on the ban, and the ban is what was recently repealed.

Postby Mr. Froggy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:50 pm

I think it's funny how little difference this makes in day to day life here, in the Navy that is, since public displays of affection are not permitted at all; even married straight couples are not allowed to kiss or hold hands while in uniform. While not in uniform, public displays of affection are supposed to be kept at a minimum while on base. Sailors who are opposed to gays serving openly think there's going to gay pride orgies or something, that makes me laugh.

I'm happy for anything that's against discrimination by the government; one thing bothers me though, we wont be able to sing "In The Navy" by the Village People ironically anymore.
"An honest man is one who knows that he can't consume more than he has produced"
Ayn Rand -Atlas Shrugged-

Return to Snafu General Discussion