College Life Truths

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: College Life Truths

Postby zepherin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 am

Mathias wrote:I'm reminded of the movie Stand and Deliver, but I've never seen that irl.

And your referencing that reminds me of the sex position.

And back on topic. Makes sense cheating is rampant at many colleges. Generally it is more subtle than copying off a neighbor.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:17 am

the only class of mine were cheating and getting away with it is possible is in the classes where the room is gigantic and there are like 300 or more students.

and even then they separate tests.
A Pimp Named Jeezy Creezy: Lasting all the way up to Valentine's.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

"Sleepery Dee, Sleepery Doo.
Whoever betrays me tonight, I'll mo'fuckin' cap you!"

Postby zepherin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 am

JesusChrist wrote:the only class of mine were cheating and getting away with it is possible is in the classes where the room is gigantic and there are like 300 or more students.

and even then they separate tests.

Well you can copy homework, or have someone else write your paper, or copy formulas in classes that don't allow that. Because your scratch paper is going to look like a formula sheet from a distance, especially if you use it as scratch paper also. I know someone who wrote formulas on the inside of a water battle label, and when he tilted the bottle towards him the water acted like a lens. He got caught cause he spent the entire test staring at his bottle. The idea was good the execution was not.

Fuck I used know a ton of people during finals week who would start using Adderall or Ritalin for the extra focus and to stay awake the whole week.
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Afternoon » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:31 pm

zepherin wrote:1. If you are unpopular in high school. You will probably be unpopular in college. A change of setting helps but if you do not talk to people in high school and are socially inept things are not going to magically change. Get better at talking to strangers. Practice on the bus.

I disagree with this. In the last few years I've attended both university and college, and in my opinion, 'popularity' is reset.

In university, people come from all sorts of different backgrounds, and even if you were a loner in highschool, chances are there will be a lot of people who share similar interests. Also, because so many people are on their own for the first time, it's easier to relax and act natural.

With college, the people who attend are there because they want to be. People are a lot more mature, and it's easier to meet people outside of your comfort zone.

Postby zepherin » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Afternoon wrote:
zepherin wrote:Get better at talking to strangers.
it's easier to meet people outside of your comfort zone.

You got better at talking to strangers. From your perspective it was a change of scenery and a "reset", but it was your mindset and attitude that changed, because there are smart focused people and there are assholes at college too. They give people who are strong and run fast just as many scholarships as people who study hard and get good grades.

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:50 pm

I agree with zeph. You can't change how you act with your strangers in a year.

And the Pimpeth lord sat amidst his real ballin' players, the Apostles, and raisingeth his cup of Cristal as they devoured the grapes and cheese from the finest bitches in town he said

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:00 am

Last edited by Wulfespinndel on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Grey » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:22 am

JesusChrist wrote:I agree with zeph. You can't change how you act with your strangers in a year.
yeah you can
i did
>secondary school: quiet nerd
>first year of college (before i got kicked out): still pretty quite nerdy guy but gettin better
>get kicked out of that college, start again in new one, like 2 years ago
>don't know anyone in new college and decide there and then on the first day to change my ways
>talk to everyone i see
>have lots of friends now

you just can't be scared of people. there are a number of people from my last school that hate my guts because i just wouldn't concede any aspect of myself. some people like me, some people don't. you have to be confident in the likeability of yourself
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Mathias » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:09 pm

I changed a bit when I moved on to college in Michigan.

Postby zepherin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:15 pm

Grey: Is getting the boot from college common in the UK?

Postby Grey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:59 am

uhh
i guess. this isn't college like it is for you guys though. your college would be our university.
11/12-15/16 = secondary school
16/17-17/18 = sixth form AKA college
?? - ?? = university
i got kicked out of my sixth form college because i didn't go to a lot of my lessons and got really bad results on my exams because i didn't study
so i feel i was the victim of racial discrimination, clearly
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby zepherin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Grey wrote:uhh
i guess. this isn't college like it is for you guys though. your college would be our university.
11/12-15/16 = secondary school
16/17-17/18 = sixth form AKA college
?? - ?? = university
i got kicked out of my sixth form college because i didn't go to a lot of my lessons and got really bad results on my exams because i didn't study
so i feel i was the victim of racial discrimination, clearly

That is about as close to an approximation as any. Sixth form is like last 2 years of high school for the US only you have to try out for it and has a better curriculum.

Here colleges will be able to do an associates degree or a bachelors degree and universities will do masters and doctoral degrees.

Postby Tuor » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:36 am

Exams done woo
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Wizard » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:03 am

if your roommate ever wakes you up and he's trying to have a conversation with you because you were talking in your sleep, just agree to forget it ever happened after you both realize that you were asleep

i was dreaming that a little gnome man with a paper cone trumpet was selling me weed and i awoke an hour after i had gone to sleep to the sound of my roommate telling me how much weed i should buy

we both agreed to forget it ever happened

EDIT: also if a teacher ever puts about 70 MC questions on a final and about 40 of them end in "D: ALL OF THE ABOVE" or "E: ALL OF THE ABOVE" about 39 of those 40 of those 70 have the "ALL OF THE ABOVE" answer as the correct one

or

when in doubt, put all of the above

Postby Tuor » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Also, if you're having trouble answering a question, don't forget to look back at the previous questions on the test, a lot of times the answer to the question you're stuck on is in a previous number's question.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Grey wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:I agree with zeph. You can't change how you act with your strangers in a year.
yeah you can
i did
>secondary school: quiet nerd
>first year of college (before i got kicked out): still pretty quite nerdy guy but gettin better
>get kicked out of that college, start again in new one, like 2 years ago
>don't know anyone in new college and decide there and then on the first day to change my ways
>talk to everyone i see
>have lots of friends now

you just can't be scared of people. there are a number of people from my last school that hate my guts because i just wouldn't concede any aspect of myself. some people like me, some people don't. you have to be confident in the likeability of yourself

you had a clear mindset. You were determined to make friends, and to be honest with you. you never seemed like that shy of a guy when I talked to you. Being nerdy is completely different from being completely socially inept. You can pretend you're somebody else, but if you are bad at holding conversations, bad at looking people in the eyes, and tbh are no George Clooney [alongside all of this] you won't be able to change as easily as you did. I could make great friends in parties where people are fucked up, I choose not to.

Postby Wizard » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:08 pm

do not eat at any public dining halls when you are high until you've gotten the hang of eating neatly while high

preparing for being high by going out to wal-mart and buying $15 bucks worth of candy and soda there, or going to wal-mart and getting whatever your high fancy is (I got a crazy sweetooth haha) in bulk is an excellent idea. especially when you smoke 4 bowls of cali weed by yourself.

uh being spontaneous is awesome, be down for anything and do anything your friends collectively decide to do

anything can happen when you're spontaneous; any conversation may occur; any event may take place that otherwise you would not have seen. do not sit in your room while high; it's better to take it outsideeeeeeeeeee

don't sit in your room much at all in college unless you're studying if you want to have a social life and also get ahead.

Postby Asis » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:50 pm

College truths eh? Here we just have it integrated to secondary school so it isn't that big of a deal.

-Don't take people too seriously.
-People are still as insecure as you. They just act like they know what they're doing. Act.
-If you wanna make friends, do it now. At university you won't have the chance because of the shitpile of work you'll have.
-Get a job. If you don't like it, find another before quitting. Even a dead end job gives you experience.
-Don't complain. All the problems you may have there are nothing compared to the ones that you will have outside.
-Failing a test is kind of a big deal. Study.
-Try to have fun too.

Postby Wizard » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:52 pm

Where do you go to school, Asis?

Postby Asis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:21 am

Argentina. Not a bad place, but a bit schizophrenic. The public universities' level is among the best of Latin America and the Public School's is among the worst.

If it matters, I got an Electronics Technology Associate Degree five years ago and I'm halfway towards Systems engineering right now.

Postby zepherin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Asis wrote:Argentina. Not a bad place, but a bit schizophrenic. The public universities' level is among the best of Latin America and the Public School's is among the worst.

The United States has a similar problem. Our public schools are mediocre and our Universities are top notch.

Postby Tuor » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:13 am

I failed my midterm exam but managed to get a B in the course. Awesome.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby PunkyChipsAhoy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:57 pm

Here's another college truth: Some professors don't give a shit if you've beat the average on every single thing given by at least 7 points. He will not do much of a curve to reflect such grades and give you a C.

Postby Icha » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:32 pm

Wait, do you mean the average is low, or do you mean he's bullshitting grades?
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion