Squeenix: If milking normally doesn't work...

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Squeenix: If milking normally doesn't work...

Postby Glahardt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:14 am

SQUEEZE HARDER
Square Enix profits have plunged and its stock price is at rock bottom – fortunately CEO Yoichi Wada has a plan to reverse this, including a dramatic increase in the company’s reliance on micro-transactions and item charging in its games.
He enthuses about item charges in an address to investors, the same one where he revealed the company would be scrambling to regain lost trust:
“I get the impression that ‘Dragon Quest’ type users and ‘item charge’ type users have quite different feelings [about a business model based on charging for items]. With the likes of Facebook, you can easily introduce friends and things spread quickly, so I feel it’s well suited to item charges, with the game being free.”

He went on to suggest the proportion of revenues accounted for by item charges will be increased from 30% to 40%.
Just whether item charging will make its way into some of Square Enix’s traditional franchises (presumably what is meant by his “Dragon Quest” reference) seems difficult to predict, although even Wada seems cautious if his comments above are any guide.
However, Final Fantasy XIV in particular was designed from the outset to appeal to casual gamers, so a free version with charges for items, skills and other content does not seem entirely outside the realms of possibility.

Sankaku Complex

Re: Squeenix: If milking normally doesn't work...

Postby Vegedus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 am

I'm guessing the profits plunge is due to the fialure of FFXIII and FFXIV?

Kind of... Confusing quote. Basically, they're saying that they're likely to introduce the "paying for premium equipment" ('item charging' makes me think of batteries) model that every other free MMO uses in FFXIV and maybe, maybe, sorta, they might use it in traditional, singleplayer RPGs too?

If they do the latter, MASSIVE RAGE. If they do the former, meh, who cares?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby zepherin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 am

What profits plunge? Square Enix is doing pretty well profit wise. For the year ending in 2010 they sold 26 million units (more than previous years by a significant amount) and in the year of 2011 they project 24 million in sales. Also Final Fantasy 13 sold 5 million copies. I think whoever wrote this article is a hack who didn't fact check. Square Enix stock is down because of sector and market weakness, not because of any faults of the company.

Stock Price does not equal company profits. And there is always sector weakness in Electronics and video games before the Holidays because holiday sales are big business so quarterly filings tend to be thin at the end of the fiscal year.
Last edited by zepherin on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Mathias » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:34 am

This is okay because I like dlc.

Postby Fenrisulfr » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:38 am

DLC as long as it's worth it. I haven't really bothered to grab any of the recent FF games, but I did pick up Star Ocean, the last hope.

Postby Rival » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:59 am

zepherin wrote:What profits plunge? Square Enix is doing pretty well profit wise. For the year ending in 2010 they sold 26 million units (more than previous years by a significant amount) and in the year of 2011 they project 24 million in sales. Also Final Fantasy 13 sold 5 million copies. I think whoever wrote this article is a hack who didn't fact check. Square Enix stock is down because of sector and market weakness, not because of any faults of the company.

Stock Price does not equal company profits. And there is always sector weakness in Electronics and video games before the Holidays because holiday sales are big business so quarterly filings tend to be thin at the end of the fiscal year.

Psst Zeph, in this thread haters have fun pretending Square Enix is in jeopardy and you rain on their parade with facts. Of course that's what makes you awesome.

Sankaku Complex, oh boy.

Anyway, I'm meh on this, would prefer if it's for single player but whatever.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Jay » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:18 pm

Sankaku Complex is like the best blog on the net for terrible misinformation and gullible tweens.

It's my favourite blog.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby BobSagat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Jay wrote:Sankaku Complex is like the best blog on the net for terrible misinformation and gullible weeaboo.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro

Return to Snafu General Discussion