Disgaea 4

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Disgaea 4

Postby Coos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Yeah Last Rebellion sucked so bad.
Knowing that game is the reason, I might just sell it- no I lied I need it for collection.

Postby WiNg0o » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Jay wrote:Last Rebellion is why they're in financial trouble.

A current-gen, HD game, made for a current-gen HD system, using a new franchise which plays quite unlike Disgaea.

It completely flopped and lost them a huge mass of their money.

Yeah and shit happens. For the most part they pretty much just threw a bunch of money at a project and expected results which is why it only had 50k worldwide sales. Now they're just throwing a bunch of money at Disgaea and hoping for results.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Glahardt » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:01 pm

Just like Activition banking on the super popular series CoD AMIRITE?

Postby Coos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:49 pm

Disgaea at least has a chance because previous installments are known to make alot of money.

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:30 pm

Disgaea AUTOMATICALLY makes lots of money by being the same.

Why would you change it????

I know the second Disgaea was announced I would buy it, limited edition if possible.

And this is ENTIRELY dependent on the fact that I know they don't do major adjustments to the game, just use a new series, add new classes, add a minor strategic element or extend existing ones.

If it was going to be a Disgaea that isn't Disgaea, what's the point of it being called Disgaea?

NIS has always called games different from Disgaea by names different than Disgaea, even when the difference is fairly minute!

Phantom Brave, Makai Kingdom, Soul Nomad, etc. And these games still play fairly similarly, just with things that could be perceived as fairly noticeable jumps from the regular Disgaea formula.

The Disgaea franchise works because it has a very stable, reliable cult following, and it works because that following remains knowing NIS DOESN'T change the game.

Go buy Prinny 2 or ZHP if you're so obsessed with getting something different--NIS has been putting out a lot of stuff. But I'm not going to even tolerate the slight notion that Disgaea's formula is going to be changed significantly. In fact, you can tell NIS is even scared to update to HD sprites. A COMPLETELY superficial change that for the average is an obvious improvement to the game, and they're so unsure if it'll sell to the old crowd that they make the HD sprites optional!

Point is, NIS isn't in financial trouble because their market base is not large enough. NIS is in financial trouble because they tried to hard to expand their market base, in genres they have basically no experience in. Last Rebellion wasn't a disaster because they threw money at it expecting a good game. It was a disaster because NIS was just genuinely INCOMPETENT at making that kind of game. They have a stable of skilled sprite artists, who apparently can't model in 3D to save their life, much less for an HD console. And all of their most well reputed games are only within the narrow genre of tactical RPG, not turn-based RPG's with free-roam environments.

Last Rebellion is a disaster SOLELY BECAUSE they tried to do something very different, and it failed because they have absolutely no experience with it. The only turn based RPG's even vaguely related to them are the RPG's they publish for GUST or do as a collaboration with Gust, Compile Heart, Idea Factory, and/or Capcom. Same with the games that use 3D completely, rather than sprites on 3D stages (that are animated such they're usually just a low-texture minecraft island floating in an abyss!).

Honestly, all I see happening for Disgaea 4 is: 1) New story, 2) Expand mechanics for attacking as a tower to also having stages require you to explore or move as a tower, 3) make Magichange actually worth using through out the game and program AI better so they don't just totally waste it for no reason, 4) make another spin-off of Dark Assembly that works somewhat differently but has an identical function, 5) Expand Item World, make a Politics related spin-off of Class Worlds, probably keep Character Worlds, 6) TONS of scripted cameos from their one-shot games and previous Disgaea games! and 7) the already announced netplay features (and by netplay, I mean sending your party make up and stats information to a server and have them appear, AI controlled, randomly as a pirate ship in another player's Item World).

Oh, and like, another like, retarded $50 of DLC lol

And that's what I think NIS should be doing. They should stick with what works and remain conservative, only making the amount of change they usually do. Trying to do something new was what put them in trouble in the first place.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Coos » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:51 am

I feel like they should work with Gust more, and/or merge. I don't know too much about Gust, but I do know they've worked with NIS alot and they make pretty good games.

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Gust is awesome. Gotta pre-order Ar Tonelico 3 when it's on the NISA store.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion