The Computer Questions Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Computer Questions Thread

Postby Mir@k » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:53 am

I'd take Avast.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:57 am

Avast and Comodo Firewall works like a charm for me. Just make sure you install only the Comodo Firewall and not the antivirus, cause if you have Avast installed as well, two anti-virus programs well render each other unusable.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Avast isn't free trial is it?
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Rival » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:15 pm

Bellorosso del Fiore wrote:Avast isn't free trial is it?

There is a free version and it's absolutely enough for a personal computer.

All you need to do, is register the free version by giving a valid e-mail address and your first and last name (those can be totally made up, they don't check). Then you just need to re-register every 365 days.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Shadowed State of Mind » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:00 pm

I have a Dell V525 (or is it V520?) all-in-one. How do I get its fax function to work?
The Life and Times of Shad Staydamind PPG fic; finished. part 1/3
Dual Minds Think Alike PPGD fic, part 2/3; finished (trilogy is on an indefinite hiatus)
Hidden Angels Original, ongoing fiction. (also hiated. Stupid college!)

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:24 pm

When posting your PC/Laptop specifications, what are the most important things that I need to provide? And what's the format? I know I have to provide the Processor and Graphics card and what not.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Mathias » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:50 pm

I downloaded some files from DLSite that are in .cpd and nothing seems to open them. Does anyone have suggestions as to what can open them?

Postby Belwicket » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Hey, guys, my friend just made an account but he forgot the password to the e-mail he chose. Can someone help us?
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Tuor » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:56 pm

I don't know why you would put that in this thread, which is about computer issues. I suggest you PM one of the other mods or BeeAre
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Belwicket » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:13 pm

Oh, sorry. I just need to know if he'll need to make another one with an active e-mail or if someone can switch the e-mail on the 1 he did make.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Tuor » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:16 pm

See my previous post
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mercen-X » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:54 pm

I was finding it impossible to view Facebook (as well as the search engine at tvtropes.com) normally after having accidentally unplugged my computer for a few minutes. After scouring the internet and coming across several people experienced similar problems, I realized too late that clearing my cache was not only NOT the solution, but also made me have to reestablish all of the subtleties I'd developed for the sites I visit. Finally, near the end of the day, the solution occurred to me while I was not even using the computer. My mom mentioned the words "date" and "time" regarding something she was researching. I finally realized that I had never reset the date and time on my computer. Once I did, Facebook and Tropes and whatever else wasn't working (my mom mentioned something) was instantly fixed.

TL;DR . If your internet is being whackadoo, check to ensure your date/time is correct before resetting your cache. Just FYI
I just love how people put commas, in places they so obviously, do not belong.

I don't know about you, but I love the Young Justice animated series.
So I became the 44,901st signer of this petition to bring the series back.
Skree

Postby Shadowed State of Mind » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:50 pm

I take it its safe to assume that it's abnormal for Windows Update to take 2 hours (and still counting) to clear just ONE update...out of 16?! It's in the shutdown phase, so I'm using my iPod Touch. Hopefully temporarily.

Postby Yoshi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:36 am

Shadowed State of Mind wrote:I take it its safe to assume that it's abnormal for Windows Update to take 2 hours (and still counting) to clear just ONE update...out of 16?! It's in the shutdown phase, so I'm using my iPod Touch. Hopefully temporarily.

Without knowing what update? Totally.

Slow connections plus massive updates (For some reason the shutdown takes longer than downloading while on) equals tonnes of time. Obviously if you leave it for a while and still nothing then there's a problem. Nothing you can really do but hard reset and hope for the best. After that we can give a hand with any issues that crop up, but yeah, if it's hanging it's hanging!

Also, Avast is still totally good but MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) is pretty much the standard now. Can't go wrong with either, basically.

PS: I miss you guys! I am so sorry I haven't been around much :(
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:18 pm

So can wireless routers go bad over time?

I've got a older Belkin N600, I think its about three or four years old and it acts up. I get perfect internet connection in the mornings, then I have to fight with it to send a signal or work properly for the rest of the day until the evening when it seems to work again. I know nothing is worng with my internet because I'm getting five bars of connectivity, but it says my connection is "limited" when the wireless router isn't working right.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:15 pm

Is the router one in the same with the cable/dsl modem? Because I just had to replace my cable modem after about 5 years.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Shadowed State of Mind » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:15 am

Panicking now. Is it honestly normal for laptop hard drives to decay with time? Long story short, several programs spontaneously crawling to a halt (with one touting an I/O error) led to several disastrous restarts over the course of 5 hours culminating in running that CheckDisk thing. It's at 2% right now (there are 633,280 file records and it's only at the first step) and about 15 file segments are unreadable. Is the laptop salvageable or am I at the mercy of the (horrifically expensive) tech shop? Or miraculously getting a brand new laptop?

I probably should've seen this coming (I had similar, less drastic issues in the past, as seen on previous pages) but no money meant no real way to stop the issues. at the very least, almost all of what I needed to back up are backed up). Still could use some help/advice though. Not used to using iPod Touch for this sort of thing.
Dual Minds Think Alike PPGD fic, part 2/3; finished (trilogy is on an indefinite hiatus)

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:31 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:Is the router one in the same with the cable/dsl modem? Because I just had to replace my cable modem after about 5 years.

It might be that time for it as well, but I think its still running fine. I'll check it out though.

Shadowed State of Mind wrote:Panicking now. Is it honestly normal for laptop hard drives to decay with time?

Yes. I had to replace the hard drive in my laptop last spring, but I ended up buying a new laptop. What happened for me is it got really slow and after a while, it refused to start normal. The parts guy explained that since my laptop didn't use a solid state drive, and used moving parts to function, that it just warped and broke over time and use.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

Postby Shadowed State of Mind » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:42 pm

Okay, so after leaving the laptop idle for almost half a day it decides to cooperate, if shakily. There are I/O errors in a few spots, lost files are interfering with key apps and overall ruining an unrelated New Years resolution. I went to the tech shop earlier today and the guy there told me something a bit different from what I've been researching. As soon as I mentioned I/O errors he suddenly stated that there might be something else wrong besides the hard drive and insisted that I bring the laptop in to make sure. Problem is, a diagnostic costs $99 that I don't have. Is it normal for things like the motherboard or RAM to interfere with the hard drive? I was going to just buy another hard drive off Amazon and put that in. Not I'm not so sure.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:49 pm

I'm trying to upgrade my Graphics card for my laptop. Does anyone know any good video cards for laptops? My budget is $100 and I already have a AMD Radeon HD 8610G.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
Blighttown is easy

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Unfortunately that card is an integrated model. So no swapping it out.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Gizmo » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Hey everyone. is it okay to change you signature? :|
My hands can do what they do for a reason. I'm talking about art, people.
http://doujinshidreamer.deviantart.com/
the one who was born purely out of awesomeness.

Location: On the floor thinking of what else to do with my hands besides draw...no luck yet.

Postby Tenshi Nova » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Yes, just make sure that it's not larger than the size indicated by the rules.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Millo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:07 am

I'm getting CPU fan errors every time I turn on my PC. it doesn't seem to be effecting the overall performance of my system except for a few very loud noises that come out for about 10 minutes after its booted. Does this mean I need a new CPU fan?
Resident Illustrator

Postby Gizmo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:23 pm

How again do I get a pic on the site? I put in the URL and the URL popped up
My hands can do what they do for a reason. I'm talking about art, people.
http://doujinshidreamer.deviantart.com/
the one who was born purely out of awesomeness.

Location: On the floor thinking of what else to do with my hands besides draw...no luck yet.

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion