The Computer Questions Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Computer Questions Thread

Postby Mathias » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:11 pm

I have a separate window open with four GameFAQs tabs. Lately I've been viewing various DivX movie sites.

Postby The Evil One » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:30 pm

Hmm... I usually don't have any issues with GameFAQs. And DivX movies aren't something you'd play in the browser itself, if I'm not mistaken. But I usually don't have a separate window open, so take that for what you will.

Maybe you should check your computer for malware, and take a look at what other programs you might be running at the same time.

(Oh, and just out of curiosity, what's your user name on GameFAQs?)
What is a man? A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS! But enough talk! HAVE AT YOU!

Location: A place where I was called by HUMANS, who wished to pay ME tribute!

Postby Mathias » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:12 am

The videos play in the browser same as YouTube.

My GFAQs handle is "Myertch_Aileron," but I only visit the SaGa Frontier board.

Postby zepherin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Ok so my mom installed UTorrent on her computer the program errored and it broke her internet connection so she did a system restore and Utorrent was removed but her internet is still down. The little exclamation point saying limited internet connection

When I had her do IPconfig she got media state media disconnected under everything

I had her run these commands

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.
ipconfig /flushdns

the exclamation point went away but she still can't connect and still gets media disconnect. It occurs with both wireless and wired internet She has a laptop and is running windows vista.

Also the router/modem is not the issue as it is a hotel and every other computer connects.

She can get an IP address from the router
under default gateway there is nothing
DNS has
FEC0=0=0=FFFF==1%1
FEC0=0=0=FFFF==2%1
FEC0=0=0=FFFF==3%1

Also because constraints are a joy. Her CDRom is not allowing installs from discs on a completely unrelated hardware issue.

She is in Arizona while I'm in Colorado so I can't connect to her via any network function. Nor can I get her a drivers disk but since it's both wired and wireless internet that is the problem I don't think it is a drivers issue.

Also she can ping 127.0.0.1 but there is no gateway for her to ping.

Windows Safemode with network support does not work.
Last edited by zepherin on Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Icha » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:00 pm

So anyway, my computer crapped out (I assume something in windows got corrupted) and I thought, "Hey, this is a good time to get linux on this thing!" And so I went on my merry way, and lived in harmony for the rest of my lif-

Wait. Windows games?

I got steam and TF2 to work, but aside from the fact that I have to lower my settings to get something even close to my original (13-50, but still very unstable), everything is fine. Of course, my mic doesn't work. Or rather, my mic does work (I've tried it), but I can't get steam to use it. In the Settings > Voice there is a button to pick the input device, but then it goes "windows control panel is going up now go fix it there" and being linux, of course it doesn't work. Is the problem Wine or something? If it is, hotw can I fix/get around that?
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Yoshi » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:57 pm

icha_icha_paradise wrote:Wine/TF2 snip

Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with Linux (Gotta get my box back up so get re-used to it) but courtesy research implies that it may be an issue with the OSS driver. See if there's an update for that, I guess. Most inquiries about this problem seem to have been fairly inconclusive.

Apart from that verify that Wine is the latest (Apparently the latest one has better DirectX support so I dunno) and you're using Alsa (Which is apparently the good thing). Sorry for not being much help, I haven't used Linux in ages.

zepherin wrote:Network stuff snip

Okay, couple things.

First, running an Intel wireless card? Add/Remove -> Intel Zero Whateverit'scalled -> Repair.

Second, she should probably run WinSockFix. Yes, it will be a pain to try and get it onto her machine what with the no internet. Borrow someone else's machine and chuck it on a USB or something.

I don't suppose running ipconfig /renew gives any meaningful info?

Yeah, starting out a bit vague. One thing to troubleshoot over the net, another to troubleshoot via proxy over the net :P
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Mathias » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:08 am

So I've given up on my laptop. Prolly gonna have my uncle restore it to factory settings.

Postby Icha » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks for your time Yoshi, but from this experience I learned something.

The reason I was thinking of discarding windows completely was because of seeing how well it did for my somewhat older laptop.

I've finally gotten it into my head that linux is better than everything at windows...except windows programs. I can use wine to try to pass around some of the things, but it isn't a work around for everything. I just re-did everything and put windows as a secondary OS.
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Yeah, it's not too hard to make it so you can dual boot into Windows just for games.

Probably works better than any emulator ever would.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby zepherin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Jay wrote:Yeah, it's not too hard to make it so you can dual boot into Windows just for games.

Probably works better than any emulator ever would.

Agreed although I am a big fan of windows 7.
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Jay » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:17 pm

Yeah, I'm on Win 7 too. Haven't had any problems yet.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Yoshi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:15 am

icha_icha_paradise wrote:Thanks for your time Yoshi, but from this experience I learned something.

The reason I was thinking of discarding windows completely was because of seeing how well it did for my somewhat older laptop.

I've finally gotten it into my head that linux is better than everything at windows...except windows programs. I can use wine to try to pass around some of the things, but it isn't a work around for everything. I just re-did everything and put windows as a secondary OS.

No, thank you for being sensible and taking the easiest and most efficient (And probably best) rather than being like a Linux obsessive.

Sometimes the easiest solution is the best solution.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave

Postby zepherin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:21 pm

ok I had her try to repair her del wireless utility and she uninstalled it
ipconfig /renew didn't give her any useful information. It did it.
Wincockfix did it's thing but no internet.

But her wired internet isn't working either.

Postby Aura » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Dear Snafu Know-It-Alls,

Ehem:

First off, I admit I'm rather iliterate on whatever related to computers (not as much as I was some years ago, but still). That said, I'm having an awful time lately trying to use AIM. To put it simple, every time I log in, it runs properly, all good, all nice. However, when someone talks to me, it freezes. Just like that. I've tried putting the settings to be compatible with Windows Vista (2nd Service Pack), and I've used every version from 6 to 7.2, those included, and it just keeps happening. This didn't happen, ever. I've retorted to use Meebo for the time being, but really, that stuff is bitchier than the real thing.

Is there anything I could be doing? Like asking somewhere else if this isn't the place? I didn't want to make a thread here if there was this nice looking Sticky going on.

Sincerely yours,

Aura.

PS: This is driving me crazy, really.

Postby zepherin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:07 pm

You might want to try trillian as an alternative to aim it's what I use for yahoo and aim

Postby Aura » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:31 pm

zepherin wrote:You might want to try trillian as an alternative to aim it's what I use for yahoo and aim

Trillian doesn't support chat rooms.

Anyway, I'm found Pidgin Portable, which is nice and everything. I hate aim with a passion though.

Thanks for reading it!

Postby Mathias » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:58 pm

Try Digsby. Hiryu uses it and it even works with Facebook.

Postby Crash » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:19 am

Alright, a question for the computer and game-savvy people here.
I have a game called Fragile Allegiance. its ancient, hailing from the prehistoric times of '95, but I have sentimental value attached next to it being quite good.
so, the problem is, it won't work. I used to be able to get it to run on Windows XP using a trick which I have already forgotten (me being the kind of guy that would rather be creative with solutions than them being all clean and streamlined but complicated beyond my grasp of the workings), but the past 3-4 years I've been trying to get it to run on Vista.
I did some research on how other people did it, and they recommended DOSbox. so, I went and got it and after some fiddling around for a few years (combination of no time, not quite good with computers and quick to say 'screw this' when its not doing what I want) I got it to work to run my game.

first but slightly minor problem is that the program does not recognise my soundcard. reasonable, I guess, as the game's 15 years old. I can live without sound.
but the second problem is that the game starts with DOSbox, but as soon as I actually try getting further than the main menu to play the game, it says it wants the CD.
now, I have the original CD, and it was in the drive at that point. so I gave it some thought and got the game from a torrent, mounted that using the newest version of Daemon tools lite, and tried again.
same story.

so my question is this, anyone knows what the problem might be and how to fix it?
I've tried everything I can think of. installed it the normal way and tried to run it, but all I got is a message soon as the DOS screen appeared that it could not go full-screen and it shut itself down.
there's a function that's called 'WIN95run', which is what I am supposed to use, I believe, but it gives the same thing. after that I tried the whole 'compatibility mode' thing, eventhough its never worked for me before, and lo and behold, it didn't help either.

so here's the details:

game's Fragile Allegiance, from '95-'96, people who made it went under ages ago
DOSbox version 0.72
Daemon tools lite, newest version
and finally I'm trying to get it to work on a windows Vista with all the updates etc installed.
Learning Kanji is like trying to memorize a cartoon, how to draw it, what the caption is, and what the caption MEANS. and most of the time there's more than one caption.

Postby Crash » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:04 am

seems I got everyone stumped, eh?

right, here's another one, I think its slightly easier...
I have an external harddrive that I use to store most of my big stuff on, music, movies, documents as backup, etc. it's 1.5 Tb big and right now I have more than 1 Tb left.
but there's two movies that refuse to be moved to there. one's 3.99 Gb and the other's 4.11 Gb, both are .mkv's. when I try to move, I get a message saying that the file is too large for the destination file system.
anyone know what is the problem and how I can fix it?
Learning Kanji is like trying to memorize a cartoon, how to draw it, what the caption is, and what the caption MEANS. and most of the time there's more than one caption.

Postby zepherin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:17 pm

You can try running it in compatibility mode, but to be honest. I have not run a super old school game like that in windows vista.

Postby Crash » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 pm

I tried compatability mode, at least I guess you turn that on by going to the start .exe file and setting it to win.95 compatability in the properties, right?
anyways, it didn't do anything

Postby Yoshi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Sorry for not checking out your problems, guys. Mid-semesters and the like have kept me busy for a bit.

Zeph, you may want to check any services, because I believe Intel installs its own service to monitor connection changes. Failing that I think you may need to do a repair install (Or just update with newer service packs). XP had a Media Sensing thing that caused this occasionally but it seems to have been removed in Vista, so no luck there.

For the AIM guy, right-click the shortcut -> Compatibility -> Run in compatibility mode -> XP Service Pack Two. That should fix it, apparently it's just a common thing. I now your thing is solved (Ish) but I'm just throwing it out there.

Crash:
How to get it working:
1. Download DosBox (latest version http://sourceforge.net/project/download ... mirror=dfn)\
2. Install DosBox
3. Start DosBox
4. 2 DosBoxscreens will pop-up, you need to type 'mount c *install folder*' in the screen with the blue thing (*install folder* is the folder where you installed Fragile, standard C:\Fragile)
5. type 'mount d *cd drive* -t cdrom' where *cd drive* is where the cd is in, standard D:\)
6. type 'C:\'
7. type 'Fragile'
8. The game will start, have fun!

For the external drive thing the first thing that pops to mind is a corrupted file. Failing that, does a move rather than a [/b]copy[/b] work? Things can be weird at times.

Edit: For the DosBox thing, the command:
mount d *cd drive* -t cdrom
Both letters need to be the drive letter. For example, if drive E then you type:
mount e E:\ -t cdrom
Make sense?

Edit again: Instead of DosBox, you can use VDMSound which apparently works great and gives you sound too. Haven't used it myself, so no promises.
" ~ Dave

Postby zepherin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Can I have her do a repair install without a cd?

Postby Yoshi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Not really. You can try a system restore, I guess, but I'm not sure whether that'll work correctly.
" ~ Dave

Postby zepherin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:38 pm

The system restore didn't work it was the first thing my mom did.

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion