The Computer Questions Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Computer Questions Thread

Postby The Evil One » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:37 am

Not sure why malware would cause your fan to act funny, unless the extra CPU cycles that the malware uses were causing the processor to overheat somehow >_>
What is a man? A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS! But enough talk! HAVE AT YOU!

Location: A place where I was called by HUMANS, who wished to pay ME tribute!

Postby Mathias » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:52 am

It's what my uncle suggested and he's a tech genius. He said that rootkits were blocking it.

Postby Shadowed State of Mind » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 pm

I'll make thus brief: Something called Antivirus Suite suddenly invaded the shared PC and is calling every single program and executible "infected" and coercing anyone on the computer to buy the full version. I'm positive its some form of malware but I can't install the usuals to take care of it and even called SYSTEM RESTORE "infected". Any solution short of taking it to the shop will be very helpful.
The Life and Times of Shad Staydamind PPG fic; finished. part 1/3
Dual Minds Think Alike PPGD fic, part 2/3; finished (trilogy is on an indefinite hiatus)
Hidden Angels Original, ongoing fiction. (also hiated. Stupid college!)

Postby The Evil One » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:34 pm

Is it actually not letting you install anything? I know that you can get anti-malware programs that will take care of that sort of thing.
What is a man? A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS! But enough talk! HAVE AT YOU!

Location: A place where I was called by HUMANS, who wished to pay ME tribute!

Postby Shadowed State of Mind » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Actually, I trashed it a few hours ago. Apparently this is a relatively new virus/malware from Russia, from what I've checked. Used these links but the gist of it all is booting in Safe Mode.

http://hands-oncorp.com/2010/03/31/anti ... tructions/

And yes, it actively prevents you from installing ANYTHING.
Dual Minds Think Alike PPGD fic, part 2/3; finished (trilogy is on an indefinite hiatus)

Postby zepherin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Yeah those antivirus viruses are a bitch. I've gotten one before and it was rough. These days I have things separated into a boot drive and a data drive and I have a clean install image of the boot drive so if anything hinky shows up I restore the image takes about 10 minutes and I am back to an unvirused drive. Also windows 7 is pretty resilient to difficult to remove malware.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Shadowed State of Mind » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:08 pm

Go figure. The infected computer in question has Windows XP. I'll slap Avast/AVG on it tomorrow.

Postby zepherin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:37 pm

You could always pull the hard drive and scan it with another computer.
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Jay » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:58 am

Safe mode can work too.

Did wonders when I had a virus that made the computer overload the CPU if an AV is ever on.

It still eventually did kick in to slow it down, but god damn I just made it keep running (Sophos in this case) until it finished in like a day lol.
Internet Celebrity ToastCrust
Twitter | Transistor Glamor | FFXIV: Lenini Leni (Hyperion)
RP Mod of the 3rd Astral Era

Postby Yoshi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:40 am

Nuke 'em and reload, honestly. Back up I guess. If it's really bad then just skip past the whole "attempting to clean" part and just reload. It'll save you a few hours.

But yeah, standard virus procedure (It will be the same every time):
Attempt to do the usual suspects (AV, Spybot, etc) in safe-mode. No luck, then yank the drive and scan externally. If you can run the suspects now then go for gold. If not, backup and nuke.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby ninnypants » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:43 pm

So sound on my PC stops working after I bring it out of sleep. Nothing on my box has changed recently, and I can't find any malware.
Administrator

Postby zepherin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:33 pm

ninnypants wrote:So sound on my PC stops working after I bring it out of sleep. Nothing on my box has changed recently, and I can't find any malware.

What Operating system are you using?

Postby Vegedus » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:11 pm

My keyboard is officially broken, and since I'm able to justify putting a lot of moneys into computers now that I'm studying them, I'm thinking on putting down a decent amount of dough on a new keyboard. I think there was some recommendations a while back, but I forget where. So, any recommendations?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Icha » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:02 pm

Vegedus wrote:My keyboard is officially broken, and since I'm able to justify putting a lot of moneys into computers now that I'm studying them, I'm thinking on putting down a decent amount of dough on a new keyboard. I think there was some recommendations a while back, but I forget where. So, any recommendations?

Well, I don't specifically think you have to spend a lot on a keyboard, seeing as the only difference I can see is how hard you have to push the keys (I know there's a term for it somewhere, but it doesn't come to mind).

Edit: I have a problem so I'll just shoehorn it over here:
I play TF2 as usual, but a few days ago it froze in a strange way. It had a yellow tint and a bunch of wavy green lines. I think its just a one-time problem, so I proceed. It comes back, and I think that either the graphics card or its driver has gone bad (its a Geforce 7900). I go to the Nvidia site and download the Geforce 7 series drivers, and install it. It asks me to reboot, and I do so.

Then, everything screws up. It boots strangely, and when it starts up instead of giving me the usual thing, it tells me about an ATI thing (surely enough, a quick look at the inside shows an ATI product)? And would get to a point that I could not use the computer (a screen that I can't use). I try to boot off safe mode, and somehow it works. My father thinks there are two drivers trying to go on and it was screwing everything up, so I delete all the Nvidia stuff, to the point where when I rebooted after the uninstall it would just detect it as "VGA hardware". I re-download the drivers (this time with the disc originally used for the comp). When I boot up from that, everything seems to look fine. But upon further inspection every time the screen updates/changes the screen will go black before changing, every single time. Should I try to re-install it again or has the graphics card gone bad?
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby zepherin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:08 am

icha_icha_paradise wrote:
Vegedus wrote:My keyboard is officially broken, and since I'm able to justify putting a lot of moneys into computers now that I'm studying them, I'm thinking on putting down a decent amount of dough on a new keyboard. I think there was some recommendations a while back, but I forget where. So, any recommendations?

Well, I don't specifically think you have to spend a lot on a keyboard, seeing as the only difference I can see is how hard you have to push the keys (I know there's a term for it somewhere, but it doesn't come to mind).

Edit: I have a problem so I'll just shoehorn it over here:
I play TF2 as usual, but a few days ago it froze in a strange way. It had a yellow tint and a bunch of wavy green lines. I think its just a one-time problem, so I proceed. It comes back, and I think that either the graphics card or its driver has gone bad (its a Geforce 7900). I go to the Nvidia site and download the Geforce 7 series drivers, and install it. It asks me to reboot, and I do so.

Then, everything screws up. It boots strangely, and when it starts up instead of giving me the usual thing, it tells me about an ATI thing (surely enough, a quick look at the inside shows an ATI product)? And would get to a point that I could not use the computer (a screen that I can't use). I try to boot off safe mode, and somehow it works. My father thinks there are two drivers trying to go on and it was screwing everything up, so I delete all the Nvidia stuff, to the point where when I rebooted after the uninstall it would just detect it as "VGA hardware". I re-download the drivers (this time with the disc originally used for the comp). When I boot up from that, everything seems to look fine. But upon further inspection every time the screen updates/changes the screen will go black before changing, every single time. Should I try to re-install it again or has the graphics card gone bad?

Well you can reinstall everything and it may be a driver problem, sometimes you have to do a couple of installs or maybe the latest drivers have a conflict you may want to use a different set of drivers, but I had a similar problem with a gfx card once and it just kept getting worst until it totally crapped out, but the company (PNY) warrantied it and I sent them a Geforce 4200 pro and got back a Geforce 5600 Ultra... Took about 3 weeks . I had to call them once for their CSR to run me through the standard tech support options which I already had done anyways and I had to call after I had the RMA to see what was going on but overall things went well. If your lucky you have a lifetime warranty on your video card.

Postby Yoshi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:14 am

ninnypants wrote:So sound on my PC stops working after I bring it out of sleep. Nothing on my box has changed recently, and I can't find any malware.

Try grabbing update ACPI drivers.

Logitech or Microsoft, basically. Go to local PC store, test 'em out, buy one you like best.

Alternatively, what are you looking for in a keyboard?

icha_icha_paradise wrote:I play TF2 as usual, but a few days ago it froze in a strange way. It had a yellow tint and a bunch of wavy green lines. I think its just a one-time problem, so I proceed. It comes back, and I think that either the graphics card or its driver has gone bad (its a Geforce 7900). I go to the Nvidia site and download the Geforce 7 series drivers, and install it. It asks me to reboot, and I do so.

'Kay. Uninstall all VGA related everything from Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs.

Then go and disable, then uninstall all VGA devices in Manager. Get back to that point of "VGA hardware". Then run Windows Update and grab the optional hardware driver from there for your card. If it does the same thing then there's something funky. If not, you can then grab the latest nVidia driver and update.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave

Postby Vegedus » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:39 am

Yoshi wrote:Alternatively, what are you looking for in a keyboard?

I must admit to be tempted by a notion of a "gamer" keyboard, or something with lots of weird media buttons. It shouldn't be too gimmicky, though, and preferably not too big either.

I don't really know what I want, though. I might not use the media buttons at all in daily life, but my interface habits tend to change when subjected to new hardware or software in unpredictable ways.

In general I use my computer for Everything. Gaming, programming, internet, drawing, writing.

This one actually sounds nice. Support for more than standard amount of simultaneous button presses (useful for Little Fighter), onboard memory (I format a lot) and programmable keys all sound like nice features, the rest slightly dubious.

Postby Yoshi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:54 am

Just so you know, gamer keyboard = gimmick keyboard.

Some are comfortable, yeah, but they aren't worth it. Unless you are OMGHARDCORE and a pro-gamer (Ugh) then all the game functions will be left unused.

If you want a gaming keyboard that isn't ridiculous then I'd look the the little brother, the G15 instead. Nice keyboard, not as retarded a price.

Alternatively, go even "lower" for the G110 and you lose the "intel screen" (Aka: Useless screen you'll never actually look at while playing because who looks at their keyboard?) but gain the ability to change the backlight colour.

Which is a better feature in my opinion.
" ~ Dave

Postby Vegedus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:01 am

Hm, you have a point there. It seems to pretty much have all the same features except the screen, which is definitely the most gimmicky part.

And yeah, I realise they're all inherently gimmicky, but I can see myself using a lot of it. I think stuff like the extra G keys could definitely be useful once I get used to it.

Postby Coos » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:23 am

I think storyboarding for a comic is abosolutely tedious.

But neccesary.

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 pm

??????????????

Postby zepherin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:50 pm

Logitech makes such good keyboards and mice. I picked up the mk700 on a tip from Yoshi and I really like it.

Postby Jay » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:30 pm

I ended up getting a Microsoft mouse since it was the only one I could find that just did bluetooth with the mouse itself.

I suppose it's pretty decent, though, ultimately.

It was for a laptop, and I didn't feel like using a precious one USB slot for a useless dongle lol

Postby zepherin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:19 pm

Jay wrote:I ended up getting a Microsoft mouse since it was the only one I could find that just did bluetooth with the mouse itself.

I suppose it's pretty decent, though, ultimately.

It was for a laptop, and I didn't feel like using a precious one USB slot for a useless dongle lol

I might have done that too, I hate laptop mieces to pieces.

Postby Mathias » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:18 am

What program can I use to enlarge images without distorting and blurring them?

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion