The Computer Questions Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Computer Questions Thread

Postby Sentios » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:53 am

Aye function keys are not normally controlled by windows, they're controlled by the BIOS so the method of disabling them varies slightly between manufacturers.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby ari-6 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Balalaika wrote:You'll have to give a little more information. Type of laptop, year, if there is driver information, general condition, etc.

The model is a Lenovo idea pad. have had it for almost two years. I didn't preform set up so I don't know if there are dedicated drivers for the key board.
Im Making This Up As I Go

Postby The Mad Doctor » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:27 pm

How do I resize an image? I plan on making a thread full of screenshots from games and the images I have are rather large.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
PRAISE THE SUN BITCH

Postby Rough Giraffe » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:40 pm

ari-6: We need stuff like "Lenovo A1234B," an actual model number; the year, e.g., 2011, etc. Not all ideapads are the same. Similar, but not the same.

The Mad Doctor: Get Paint.NET--it's a free program that was designed to be a replacement for MS Paint. Resizing, gradients, blur/blend/etc. tools... very handy. I've been using it quite a bit. You can get it here: http://www.getpaint.net/
A little bit Ruff around the edges

Postby ari-6 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:15 pm

Lenovo idea pad Z500

The sticker on the front says it has a "onekey rescue system" does anyone know what that means?

I have all these buttons and I do not wish to press them because I know not what they do.

Postby Havoc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:13 am

I'm just gonna pop in here and ask a few questions of my own. Does anyone know anything about Soft Synths, and Audio Software? I'm kinda new to the world of Audio Software. I have ACID Music Studios 8.0, and I've been using it for MIDI, but the Soft Synth program it came with kinda sucks. Does anyone know where to get some good Soft Synths that would be compatible with ACID? Preferable free, or at least under $20.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rough Giraffe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Ari: All right, so after a bit of digging I found this: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y- ... -p/1295329

Follow the instructions listed under "Answer" on that page. That should fix the problem, but you may lose the ability to use your keys like volume up/down buttons, etc. I hope that helps.

Havoc: No clue, dude. I use Audacity, since it's free and it works well for voice.

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:40 am

Thanks for all the help on that one. I would go make those changes myself except just one problem. My computer is seriously Fucked!

So yesterday I kept getting messages saying that my flash driver was crashing. Then the crapped out on me, then it was the video. Now I have sound and video back but every time I plug in a headset I lose the audio again and I need to turn off and on again to get it back. Now every time I go on the internet my bookmarks bar is missing. Anyone have any idea how it got so fucked?

Postby Rough Giraffe » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:43 am

Sounds like a profile corruption. Without looking at it, I can't know for sure, but here's what I suggest you do.

First, I want to know if you have antivirus software installed on your computer. Things like this can be caused by viruses. It doesn't happen like this a lot but I can't rule it out just yet. If you don't have antivirus software, download AVG or Avast! for free here or here.

Next, if you can, I want you to create a new user account for yourself. You may want to copy these instructions down somewhere, since you'll have to be logging on and off a couple times.

[Note: When performing these steps, make the new user account an administrator account when presented with the option.]

Here are the instructions for Windows 8: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... windows-8/

Here are the instructions for Windows 7: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutoria ... s-vista-7/

If you have files on your desktop in your old user account, you should copy them somewhere safe so they don't accidentally get deleted somewhere along the line. I recommend making a new folder in the C drive with your name on it.

Next, using the new administrator account you just created, locate C:\Users\(Username) and find the NTUSER.DAT, .INI. and .POL files. They may be hidden; if they are, tap the Alt key, and click Tools > Folder Options. In the View tab, select the bullet for "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files."

Delete the NTUSER files I listed above and log back in to your account. Let me know if the problems are fixed.

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:56 pm

.................I am now very scared. For someone like me this computer might as well be running on magics.

I have Norton antivirus software. It is telling me there is nothing wrong. The only problems I am having are that my flash doesn't work and my bookmarks are gone. Could it really be something as bad as a Virus? It is just that if I had to move all my files over it may take............. A very long time.

edit: I fixed the bookmarks problem. Is there no way I can simply fix just my flash software?

edit edit: I go on the Narton thing and it asks me if I would like to "Fix problem". I click "Fix problem" and it FIXES NOTHING! It scares me that there are people who would find this stuff simple.

edit edit edit: God news. At the risk of jinxing it, my usual tactic of waiting for the problem to solve itself seems to have payed off. Yay............ Oh God I feel so fragile.

edit edit edit edit: Nope, jinxed it. Back to being fucked!

Postby Rough Giraffe » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:51 am

Don't get freaked out. Any problem has a solution. I only mentioned viruses because it's a *possibility* that I couldn't rule out as yet. As an IT, I don't find viruses really scary; it seems like an irrational fear, although I do understand that they have certain dangers associated with them.

Anyway, since Norton says there are no viruses detected, I suppose right now we can assume it's not a virus. Did you do what I said with your user profile?

Postby ari-6 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:30 am

Heck no it sounded scary and not something to be attempted by someone so incompetent. Right now the only problem is that If I leave my computer on a video paused for too long then it stops being able to play videos and to fix it I need to turn it off and back on again. I have no idea why that is but it is not a serious problem.

Postby Mathias » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 am

How do I read a document that looks like thus?

Code: Select all
@ƒ_ƒEƒ“ƒ[ƒh‚¢‚½‚¾‚«‚ ‚肪‚Æ‚¤‚²‚´‚¢‚Ü‚·B

‚¨Žè”‚Å‚·‚ªƒ_ƒEƒ“ƒ[ƒhƒtƒ@ƒCƒ‹‚Í“ÆŽ©‚̈³kƒtƒ@ƒCƒ‹‚ʼnÁH‚µ‚Ä‚ ‚è‚Ü‚·

ˆÈ‰º‚ÌURL‚©‚çê—p‚̉𓀃\ƒtƒg‚ðƒ_ƒEƒ“ƒ[ƒh‚µ‚ătƒ@ƒCƒ‹‚ð•ÏŠ·‚µ‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B

‚¨‚¢‚¤‚¾vector‚Æ‚¶‚å‚ k‚Çrevivefilter‚¨jf‚Ÿ‚À‚Ÿdf‚È‚¢dk

Žg—p•û–@‚ÍŠÈ’P‚Å‚·Bƒ\ƒtƒg‚𗧂¿ã‚°‚ătƒ@ƒCƒ‹‚ðƒhƒ‰ƒbƒNƒAƒ“ƒhƒhƒƒbƒv‚µ‚Ä‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B

•ÏŠ·‚ªŽn‚Ü‚èAI‚í‚é‚Æ“¯‚¶ƒtƒHƒ‹ƒ_“à‚É•ÏŠ·‚³‚ꂽƒtƒHƒ‹ƒ_‚ªo—Í‚³‚ê‚Ü‚·B

ˆÈã‚Å‚·B‚¨Šy‚µ‚Ý‚­‚¾‚³‚¢B

Postby Q.U. » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 am

You don't.

As far as I know most programs/games use different file coding. Yes there are sometimes ways to translate it, but in general that's something only the devs will be able to tell you.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Mathias » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:36 pm

But it was a notepad document that came with a download. It's supposed to be instructions on how to convert the file.

Postby Rough Giraffe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Open it with any other programs you have; Wordpad, OpenOffice (if you don't have it and you don't have MS Office, you should download it, as it is free).

Alternatively, or if those don't work, you may try this: http://www.checkfiletype.com/

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion