The Computer Questions Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Computer Questions Thread

Postby Cerulean » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:42 pm

You have to upload it to an image hosting website. Then take the link (usually called the direct link) provided and insert it between the IMG tags. They look like this ( :down: ), and the link goes in the middle.

Code: Select all
[img][/img]

Some examples of Image Hosting Websites:
Imageshack
Photobucket
Imgur
Deviantart
tinypic

The process to actually upload from Deviantart is a bit different though. Right click on your drawing, then select image info. There should be a link that is already highlighted there. Right click, then select copy. That link is the link you place between the IMG Tags that I mentioned earlier.

Imgur is probably one of the easiest to use, as it gives you the entire code (with the IMG tags already in place). It has a label next to it called BBCode. From there you can just paste that link into your thread.

tinypic doesn't require an account, so if you don't wish to make one, this one is always a good option. After you've uploaded it to tinypic, you should see a section labeled IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards, just copy whatever is in the space below it and paste it in your thread. (The IMG tags are already attached so you don't have to worry about using them either)
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:15 am

Okay, let me try explaining you this more clearly in regards to images from deviantArt for the newer users:

If you're using a Chromium browser (Google Chrome, Comodo Dragon), be sure to right click on your image and click "Copy image URL". Type in the image code and paste the URL in between the brackets as shown below:
[img]your image link here[/img]

First, here is a sample URL for you to try:
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/ ... 76ds5w.jpg

Here's what it should look like before posting it:
[img]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/045/2/c/happy_valentines_2014_by_bleedman-d76ds5w.jpg[/img]

Once posted, If done correctly this should pop up:

If you haven't noticed, the image URL for the image I just posted is NOT this:
http://bleedman.deviantart.com/art/Happ ... -433983956

This is because the URL you're looking at here is the page for the image, but not the image itself. As you can see below, this is what the image would look like if done incorrectly using the preceding URL:

As you can see, the image is instead shown as a symbol representing a broken link. If you're new to this stuff and need to get the hang of this to get accustomed to forums like these, always use the preview button in case you're not making any mistakes with the code, and just take your time trying to learn how to use some of the features offered in the forums. Do ask us for help if necessary though.

NOTES REGARDING PHOTOBUCKET AND IMAGE SHACK
I've used both of these websites over the past few years, but they've gone through some crazy changes (at least to me anyway.)

Images from Photobucket tends to be bothersome sometimes whenever you try to get the image URL from Google Images. If you manage to get redirected to the image's page, the right box has a direct link. Copy the link, and follow the same procedures I've shown you.

imageshack is less complicated, and much more simple. If you're on the imageshack website and you're browsing in yours or someone else's library and you want to post an image from there, click on the image (if you're browsing in an image library), right click the image, and select "Copy Image URL", and again, do the same thing.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Cerulean » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:27 pm

So, recently (for about two weeks maybe?) I've been having this strange issue with my laptop. Out of nowhere, my laptop will either give a blue screen error, or just restart.

The first time it happened (the random restarts), I thought that I might have gotten a virus or something and ran full scans from Norton and Malwarebytes. After running them,and removing tracking cookies, things seemed fine until I got a BSOD error.

I don't remember the code that the first BSOD had (I didn't manage to get a picture of it or anything before it restarted). But I did manage to get the others. The second one said I should check online for the error code DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. When I looked that up, it said that some of my software was conflicting with other software and that I'd need to back up my drive and (follow a set of instructions that I don't have with me right now (but would have ultimately resulted in a system restore)).

So I thought, ok cool, as soon as I'm able to back it up I will (I have not done this yet by the way). But a little under a week ago, I got the BSOD again. This time the error was SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION. This error was apparently associated with either display drivers or RAM?

So, I updated my display drivers (Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M). Things seemed to be running alright, and I didn't have any random restarts or anything like that. Then today, I got another BSOD, though this time the error code was MEMORY MANAGEMENT.

So, after googling, I found out that there were apparently three things that I could do.

I could try to see if the problem happens again when I restart it in Safe Mode (though I don't understand how this would help, since this is occurring sporadically?).

I could use the command prompt code sfc/scannow to scan for issue (I did this, but it said that some of the corrupted files could not be fixed (though apparently it did fix some of the files because it asked me to reboot to apply updates)).

Or I could update my drivers (I just did this and checked again to make sure they were up to date).

So, any suggestions on what I should do now? I'm not positive that the issue (whatever it is) is fixed. I don't have a problem with just restoring it, but will that really fix the problem (if it isn't a software issue)? Oh and this laptop is barely a year old. I have an Acer Aspire laptop and it has Windows 8.1 software.

EDIT: And just now I get BAD POOL HEADER from BSOD.

EDIT2: So, after running Defrag, ChkDsk, Prime95, Memtest, Memtest86, Adware Scanner, Super Anti-Spyware scanner, Norton Virus Scan, Malwarebytes and finally caving and performing a System Restore, I discovered that I still get these blue screens and mysterious restarts. These seem to happen most frequently when I suddenly move my laptop in one direction or another (like, if it's in my lap and I try to sit it down on something else for instance, or trying to pick it up). Which makes me think that this is more of a hardware issue than it ever was a software issue (which is somewhat backed up by an error msg that Windows gave me the other day (about having an issue with some component in my hardware)).

That was the whole reason I ran Memtest, Memtest86 and Prime95. After some research, I discovered that if one (or both) of my RAM sticks were going bad, then I would get multiple random restarts, and a lot of BSOD with multiple codes. So, I unscrewed the panel underneath it, and tested one stick at a time (and one did look a bit dusty compared to the other one), but after testing for 3 days ( (well really more like nights) one for each stick and then another for both), I wasn't getting any errors at all! I found that it was apparently possible for one of my RAM slots to be going bad, and that it wasn't necessarily the stick itself malfunctioning, but when I tried to insert one of the sticks into the top slot, the laptop wouldn't start up at all (though I found that I had apparently not inserted it correctly and then had to gently remove it). So, I ended up only testing the bottom socket then both.

So more research told me that I may have CPU errors or something, hence the Prime95 test that I mentioned earlier. I ran that one for over 12 hours. And still no errors.

And after getting trapped in a BSOD last night (it didn't restart after reaching 100% like it usually does), I finally caved and did a System Restore. This morning, I go to put my laptop down on something, and I get yet another BSOD. About an hour later? I do the same thing and it restarts the second I put it down.

So, I don't know what's wrong with it. I'll probably go ahead and fix up my other laptop so that I can use it again since the parts to fix it are already here. This one was a very generous gift, that was only meant to be used until I got my main laptop fixed anyway (I just got reeaaaallllyyy lazy and didn't fix it). Though, I am tempted to unscrew everything on this laptop and see what's what. Hmm....
"A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rough Giraffe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:05 am

Cerulean:

Do you ever clean out your laptop? This might seem like an unrelated issue, but I have had Stop (BSOD) errors that resolve themselves after I dust out the computer. One time I had to fix a desktop that simply refused to boot, and the reason was that it was CAKED with dust; after blowing all the dust out, it worked fine.

The memory management and some of the other Stop errors you encounter when you move your laptop are likely due to loose components (e.g., your memory modules or hard drive); if they lose connection suddenly, while it's trying to write to something or pass data from A to B, the system will think they suddenly can't be written to. This might occur after dropping or accidentally hitting your computer against something. It could be wear and tear if you move around a lot with your laptop in a bag that isn't padded or not padded enough. If it's a hardware connection, the drive or memory probably aren't the problem; it could be the motherboard, and if so that's bad news, as those connections are the most difficult to troubleshoot and repair.

Memory Management Stops can also occur when one of your memory modules is dying or shorting out. For example, if it's dirty, or you've spilled some kind of drink into the computer (a few drops is all it takes, really), and it has trouble writing to certain parts of the memory. You are correct that this could also apply to the memory slots instead.

Bad Pool Header is generally a driver issue. I think you mentioned that you double-checked that all your drivers are up to date, but you're still getting them. That's troubling.

What would be beneficial at this point would be if you could provide the "Stop Codes," which are seen on the BSOD starting with 0x followed by an 8-digit alpha-numeric sequencer, such as 0x000054A0 or something like that. Generally I only need the first code it gives you. If you can't write fast enough to grab those codes, have someone hold a video camera up or something and capture a picture of it.

So I noticed a bunch of you had questions about your computers. I'll try to answer them here, and send you messages once I do.
A little bit Ruff around the edges

Postby Rough Giraffe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:29 am

Blood Lord wrote:So can wireless routers go bad over time?

I've got a older Belkin N600, I think its about three or four years old and it acts up. I get perfect internet connection in the mornings, then I have to fight with it to send a signal or work properly for the rest of the day until the evening when it seems to work again. I know nothing is worng with my internet because I'm getting five bars of connectivity, but it says my connection is "limited" when the wireless router isn't working right.

Based on these symptoms, I think your router is getting interference from other routers in the vicinity. If you have a smartphone with Wifi, download a Wifi Analyzer and see how many signals you are getting from your neighbors.

If you are getting interference, you will need to log in to your router and change the Channel setting (use the wifi analyzer to determine the "least" used channel in your area). There's a default setting to most routers, and it doesn't automatically detect interference, but changing to another channel can help. Refer to your manufacturer's instructions for changing your Wifi Channel.

Postby Rough Giraffe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:34 am

Millo wrote:I'm getting CPU fan errors every time I turn on my PC. it doesn't seem to be effecting the overall performance of my system except for a few very loud noises that come out for about 10 minutes after its booted. Does this mean I need a new CPU fan?

First, check to see that your CPU fan cable isn't loose. Next, try blowing the dust out of your fan. If that doesn't help, then it would probably be a good idea to replace your fan. Fortunately, Newegg.com has a wide supply of relatively inexpensive fans. If you need my help picking one out, PM me and let me know.

Postby Millo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:42 am

Thanks for the advice but I managed to fix it by getting a new CPU cooler C:
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Rough Giraffe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Just glad to see you got it fixed. :)

Postby Cerulean » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:19 pm

I forgot to mention that the first time I opened the back of the laptop, I did blow some dust/debris out. And unfortunately still received errors :(

One thing that I remember, though, is that one of my RAM sticks looked....different from the other one. Some portions on the chips looked like they were starting to turn gray around the edges? And apparently this wasn't dust. But when I tested it solo with Memtest, I didn't get any issues on that stick (same with the other one). I'll take a picture of it compared to the other one a bit later today and post it to show you what I mean (not able to get to it right now).

I'll admit that i do move around a lot with my laptop, and unfortunately I've also dropped it a few times in the past (but I've done a better job of keeping them safe in recent months). You mentioning one of my components possibly being loose, reminded me that I'd been hearing something moving around in there when I move it, but I never figured out what exactly it was (actually it's more like I'm just afraid of going further than the top layer, for fear of not being able to put it back together (or worse, accidentally shocking the components and ruining components that weren't broken in the first place)). I'd thought that the small plastic piece (that I found upon opening the laptop from the back) was the source , but found that the shaking noise persisted afterwards (when I moved it). Whatever it is, doesn't sound that big, rather small actually. Could that have something to do with it?

As for the codes for the blue screens, I don't get those on Windows 8 when they pop up now, where would I need to go to find them? The blue screens for Windows 8.1 look like this now:

OH, but I did look through some of the pictures I took while I was trying to fix my laptop, and apparently got this error while I was attempting to restart (for what reason, I'm not sure, I don't remember and completely forgot about it afterward). Does this help any?:

I still have an interest in fixing it, despite recently getting a replacement. So any help is much appreciated. Thank you for the advice you've provided thus far. c:
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rough Giraffe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 pm

Huh. I haven't actually used Windows 8 yet, let alone gotten a Blue Screen on it, and I'm sort of puzzled as to why it's been replaced by this bullshit. I mean it's not even helpful. Way for them to really drop the ball.

All right. Stop errors like this are recorded and displayed in the Action Center (which, if you can't log in, that doesn't help at all. Thanks Microsoft. :roll:). If you can log in, go to the start menu and type in "Problem Reports and Solutions" in the search bar, then select "View all problem reports." You should see multiple entries for the stop errors you've received. Starting with the most recent ones, write down the error message ("Bad Pool Header," etc.) and the last digits of the first octet of the Stop error (0x000000A0 becomes A0) and post those up here. If you're not able to log in or browse those items, let me know and we'll try something else.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:53 pm

I've actually had this problem for a few moments. It didn't become much of a problem since it restarted itself.

I love things for the exact same reason you hate them for.
Blighttown is easy

Postby Cerulean » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:47 am

Apparently, I restored my laptop a little while after restoring it the first time (and forgot about doing so). So now I don't have any of the error messages from the BSODs in the problem reports. I've been using it for the past few hours with the hope of getting at least one BSOD, but nothing :/ Though my laptop did restart suddenly twice while I was using it today. I'm planning on using it again tomorrow to see if it will give me at least one BSOD (since it's bound to pop up again sooner or later) but other than that, not sure how I should proceed from here.

The error messages for the blue screens may not be there, but there are some other problems listed there. Would you like to see those errors too? The Problem Event Names:

Installed Generic driver Software
(under Driver Software installation) x22

Could Not Find Driver Software
(under Driver Software installation) x1

Windows Update Installation Problem
(under Host Process for Windows Services) x73 (These probably popped up as I was updating Windows (there were over 100))

CLR20r3 Stopped Working
(under IOAC) x1 (this had something to do with an Acer Wake Up Option, or at least that's what is in the description)

WindowsWcpStoreCorruption (under Windows Modules Installer Worker) x20

CbsPackageServicingFailure2 (under Windows Modules Installer Worker) x7

There were a few codes for each of these. But I wasn't sure whether or not you wanted to see those (ID, Bucket ID, Status, Locale ID, and Problem Signature were the names listed next to them). If you do, I don't mind posting those too (along with (hopefully) the last digits of the BSOD (whenever it pops up)).

Oh and before I forget, here's a picture of the RAM stick (s) I mentioned before. Is the one on the right all right? or is that something that I'd only be able to determine through testing? The gray area sort of worries me a bit:
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rough Giraffe » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:09 am

On the RAM sticks: It almost looks like dirt but it could be heat damage. Take a Q-tip with some rubbing alcohol, grab something metal to ground yourself (like the computer case) and swab at the gray parts to see if they go away. Once you finish that, let the memory dry some place safe--i.e., where it'd be safe from pets/children/static, etc.

One question about these sticks: Did you upgrade your laptop memory, or did it come like this? Also, has there ever been a point when this computer HASN'T had all these BSOD errors?

What's troubling to me is that they don't look like they're the same type of memory. Yeah, they're the same pin configuration, but they don't look like they're the same model.

This could be a cause of the Memory Management and/or other Stop errors. You see, different memory sticks have different timings; the timings dictate what sequence the computer should use to write to the memory. If those timings are off, the computer may try to write out of sequence, which can cause those errors. Therefore, it's a bad idea to simply buy a random stick if you need more memory. I learned that one the hard way. It needs to be at least the same timing, if not an identical model.

There might be markings on the stick to indicate what the CAS timings are, but I don't expect you to be able to recognize them, and I can't see them from this picture. I recommend you take it to someone who can either verify the model numbers/CAS timings and/or recommend a replacement memory stick.

Also, don't use System Restore anymore. It doesn't seem to be helping, Lol.

Postby Cerulean » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:59 pm

Done and done, so far it looks like it may have just been dirt, came right off (so yayyy). It's drying right now.

It came like this (March 2013), I haven't made any alterations to this laptop at all. All of these issues started to pop up this past February, and the frequency of the errors and restarts increased from there. Before that, everything worked fine.

Different models? Well that's weird. I'll try to get someone to check these out, and verify the stuff you listed.

And, k I won't do that anymore lol

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I really appreciate it c:
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tron » Mon May 05, 2014 8:45 am

Mind if I post a question? I've been having some problems with my laptop lately, every time I try to start it up it sends me the same error message. I keeps saying: "No boot disk found...press any key to continue". I tried pressing a bunch of keys but nothing works.

Some people have told me that the problem is in the BIOS and that the boot order is incorrect but i'm not really sure, i could really use some help. As for my question: What's going on with my computer?
Evolution is now

Postby Rough Giraffe » Tue May 06, 2014 11:20 am

Anyone may post a relevant question here. Feel free. :)

When you boot up your computer, you'll see either a logo or some tests scrolling down. Either way, when you see this press the F12 key (most BIOS are set this way by default, but the system may tell you something different) to bring up a one-time boot menu. It will give you a list of things to boot up from, for example, CD-ROM, Hard Drive, Diskette, etc. Select "Hard Drive" if such an option exists.

If you computer boots up okay, we've found the culprit and can proceed from that point.

If it does not, it's possible that it's not detecting the hard drive. Please let me know if you can load the OS from the one-time boot menu.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sun May 11, 2014 11:58 pm

Not a computer per say, but I had a router question. Truth is I've never dealt with getting a router beforefore, not sure what I'm looking for.

My roommate is leaving soon, and taking his with him. Anyone got a suggestion for a good router that's not too expensive? I do game, and I get 20mbs through Time Warner.
For the Greater Good

Postby Rough Giraffe » Mon May 12, 2014 10:05 am

Generally, the more expensive the router, the more reliable/secure it is. Routers will be anywhere from $15 to $200 depending on what you need it for. In your case, it looks like you'd do well with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833122326. It has high data throughput in case you want to, say, have a LAN party or something or have (or desire to have) multiple devices connecting and streaming media, and includes double firewall protection and a couple other security features. This would also be good if later on you want to do something like hook up your computer to the TV and stream videos to/from it through your router.

If that's too expensive, I can get with you through PM and go over some other options with you.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Mon May 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Alright, thanks. I actually ended up going with a slightly cheaper netgear model for now, N300, it should work fine I hope.
For the Greater Good

Postby ari-6 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:38 am

Does anyone know if there is a way to stop one of the keys on my keyboard from doing anything at all? It is the most ridiculous design, there is a key on my key board with an X on it that instantly closes anything I am doing at the time and can even turn off my computer. And it is located right next to the key that turns the volume up. So there I am with about 20 tabs open at once, I am listening to some music, I go to turn up the volume, then before I have a chance to realise what I just pressed everything closes. If I happen to be working o a document at the time then it closes without saving. I can not tell you how often I have done this and short of prying the button from my key board I don't know what to do about it.
Don't hug me I'm scared

Postby Rough Giraffe » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Did your keyboard come with any CD software? What keyboard model is it?

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:23 pm

It's a laptop key board
Don't hug me I'm scared

Postby Tenshi Nova » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:20 pm

I believe you have something similar to mutt cousin's laptop. Running Win8, touch screen, strange fn interactions.

Not sure if it is though.
Check out Nova Island Productions
It's messy :p
Rocks
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby ari-6 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:25 pm

I don't have a touch screen. I have a stupidly designed key board. Seriously, right next to the volume button?!
Don't hug me I'm scared

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:20 pm

You'll have to give a little more information. Type of laptop, year, if there is driver information, general condition, etc.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Semper Vigilans

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion