Star Wars the Force Awakens thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Star Wars the Force Awakens thread

Postby Mr.X » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:04 am

Star Wars is back!! I know for sure that we can't see how good the movie will be until the release date next year. However, this trailer gives me hope that this will be a return to nostalgia and possibly new elements in the Star Wars Universe. Anyways I won't spoil anything from the trailer. You just have to watch and experience it yourself. So what do you guys think of the the teaser trailer? Good? Bad? Just say it in the comments below!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Re: Star Wars the Force Awakens thread

Postby Rival » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:23 am

Is there really that much to "spoil" in it?    Everyone expected the Millennium Falcon, right?   
Mr.X wrote:gives me hope that this will be a return to nostalgia

I actually hope that's not the case. Once fictional works focus on nostalgia too much they tend to become way too pandering to their already existing fanbase and don't explore any new ground. At worst, too much focus on nostalgia to decades old works can result in a movie that ends up feeling like a parody, see Batman Forever or Superman Returns.

That's an issue the Star Wars franchise has had for a while now. I enjoyed quite many parts of the Expanded Universe and Seasons 3 and onward of the recent Clone Wars TV series, but I've often felt they were too self-referential. I hope Luke's, Han's and Leia's roles will be kept small.

But that's in response to your suggestion, the trailer itself shows none of these things and looks quite good. It's too short to make any real judgement, but it looks good.

You really have to strongly suspend your disbelief for the longsword type lightsaber though, that'd result in so many self-mutilations.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Mr.X » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks for voicing your opinion. The reason why I said that it feels like a return to nosalgia is because I just felt that Star Wars "Magic" like returned after awhile. Sorry its kinda hard to explain

Postby Rival » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Mr.X wrote:Thanks for voicing your opinion. The reason why I said that it feels like a return to nosalgia is because I just felt that Star Wars "Magic" like returned after awhile. Sorry its kinda hard to explain

Nah, it's fine I understood you from the start. I just felt it was a good opportunity to voice my concern that they might go too far with the nostalgia. I didn't intend to come across as patronizing.

The trailer is good and it's nice that you're excited for it, nothing wrong with being excited about a new entry in a franchise you enjoy.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Senel » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:20 pm

I actually really like the longsword design. Since Inquisitors normally have odd lightsabers from what I've seen. Some people argue that the guard won't block anything though there are some materials in the SW universe that are capable of resisting lightsabers. Mandalorian Ore if I'm not mistaken would be one.

Postby Tuor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:59 pm

Yup some kind of mandalorian metal can. I remember I was researching something and was surprised to discover that
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:22 pm

I knew that for a long time. General greivous's bodyguards had staffs that were able to block lightsabers. I was not surprised to see other things block lightsabers. Even metal swords in the old republic games were able to block sabers.
Last edited by The Mad Doctor on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not Space Jesus

Postby Tuor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:23 pm

I thought those were vibro-somethings
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Jus because it vibrates doesn't make it immune to lightsabers.
Here's a list of the materials resistant to sabers.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category ... _materials
Not Space Jesus

Postby Tuor » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Yes, obviously, otherwise you could duel a jedi with a massager
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Colbert settles the lightsaber hilt issue
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mir@k » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:16 pm

I like colbert but i heavily dislike his audience. What he is saying isn't as funny as to be shrieking praise or provoking hysterical laughter as the people there are doing.
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:41 pm

Comes with the territory when you have a show with a studio audience
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby The Mad Doctor » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:50 pm

It could be simply a case of an over sensitive microphone in a small room
Not Space Jesus

Postby Rival » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:55 am

Even though it's performed in front of a live studio audience, some of the reactions at such shows are canned when airing (Rowan Atkinson briefly explains the process of why on a Black Adder DVD extra). The same "woo" reaction can be heard more than once at the exact same length and pitch, so that might be the case here.

Postby Gentlemuffin » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm wondering if this new set of movies will stay true to the already existing SW lore. I'm not really expecting Yu Zhan Vong (sp?) references or anything. But it would be a bitch if they were to retcon anything.
Still New

Postby dj1107 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:06 am

Gentlemuffin wrote:I'm wondering if this new set of movies will stay true to the already existing SW lore. I'm not really expecting Yu Zhan Vong (sp?) references or anything. But it would be a bitch if they were to retcon anything.

Just about everything that wasn't the 08-14 clone wars cartoon, Rebels, A Darth Maul miniseries, the upcoming Marvel comics, The Old Republic, The upcoming Battlefront game, & the "A new dawn" novel are all wiped from canon. Sad I know but what are you gonna do?
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Rival » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:08 am

Just to elaborate on that for more info on what is and isn't canon. Go here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/User:Top ... iir/Canoni
dj1107 wrote:The Old Republic

With that do you mean the existence of The Old Republic itself, or the KOTOR and the SWTOR MMO games? Because from what I've read, the games are all non-canon. They just aren't as in your face about it because they have nothing currently planned for that era and don't want to jeopardize, the still profitable SWTOR MMO game, by telling people it never happened. But whenever asked about all games released so far, including SWTOR, they answer "Legends", so non-canon.

Otherwise, all other info in your post is correct.
dj1107 wrote:Sad I know but what are you gonna do?

Eh, I enjoyed my fair share of EU stories, most notably John Ostrander's and Jan Duursema's "Star Wars: Legacy" comic series. But it was always completely clear that the EU was basically licensed fanfiction:

Even in the Lucas era, Lucas repeatedly stated throughout the years that nothing outside of his movies was "official" canon.

Lucas wrote:I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions.

That's basically PR speak for "none of this is canon, but I won't say it clearly because I make $$$ thanks to it". Sure, it was marketed as canon, but if your canon status is right below the movies and later the Clone Wars cartoon (as soon as they announced it) it was never really worth much.

Besides, the three most well known things about the EU for people who didn't follow it, are: Luke briefly going Dark Side, Palpatine Clone body "resurrection" and the Yuuzhan Vong war, which were all incredibly stupid, in my opinion. Jar-Jar, Anakin built C3PO. Darth Vader moans NOOOOOO most of AOTC level of awful, that's not something you want to keep official if you can easily avoid it.

And lastly, how fresh a take could you honestly expect from a movie trilogy that'd have to make sure it doesn't contradict 23 years of Dark Horse published continuity? As soon as they announced Disney bought Star Wars, I was certain they'd scrap the EU, I was surprised to see so many people surprised when they announced it. I mean, I understand being opposed to the move, but surely everyone reasonable was expecting it to happen.
Last edited by Rival on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby dj1107 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:45 am

The EU stuff I'm sad that are gone are basically The Dark horse Clone Wars comics, The Genndy Tartakosky clone wars series (thus completely obliterating Grivous's cool-ness factor once & for all) & The Starfighter games that happened coercely with Episode 1 & 2 (Nym for best prequel character)

I am willing to give the New comic series a chance given my knowledge of the writers.

Postby Rival » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:13 am

The supreme coolness of Tartakovsky's version of Generał Grievous was already killed and retconned with the 2008 cartoon. There was no way the 2008 version of Grievous would be competent enough to do the stuff Tartakovsky showed him performing.
dj1107 wrote:The EU stuff I'm sad that are gone are basically The Dark horse Clone Wars comics

Just to be clear, which ones do you mean?
these: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Wars_%28comics%29
these: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_War ... 8comics%29
or these?: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_War ... 8comics%29

Postby dj1107 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Rival wrote:The supreme coolness of Tartakovsky's version of Generał Grievous was already killed and retconned with the 2008 cartoon. There was no way the 2008 version of Grievous would be competent enough to do the stuff Tartakovsky showed him performing.
dj1107 wrote:The EU stuff I'm sad that are gone are basically The Dark horse Clone Wars comics

Just to be clear, which ones do you mean?
these: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Clone_Wars_%28comics%29
these: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_War ... 8comics%29
or these?: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_War ... 8comics%29

The first link. I really liked that comic series that I own all 8 trades.

Postby Rival » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:46 pm

Ah ok, gotcha. Those were the best Clone Wars related reads indeed. Thanks for the answer.

Postby Senel » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:14 pm

Is Starkiller still canon?

Postby dj1107 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:31 am

Senel wrote:Is Starkiller still canon?

No none of the games are

Postby Gentlemuffin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:56 am

What about the Dark Horse comic arcs? I'm going to throw a hissy fit if anything Mandalorian is wiped from canon.
Still New

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion