So ~that's~ why....

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

So ~that's~ why....

Postby Kris » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:32 am

Comrade, in one of his news posts over at The Misc, has pointed out that other countries don't dislike us because of our politics, but because of how Hollywood portrays Americans.

http://www.newt.org/index.php?src=news& ... ry=Opinion

Thanks DJ, because I got a nice laugh out of it. Well, more out of just this, my fave part of the article.....

"What the Bush administration can do is reexamine American public diplomacy efforts overseas. The recent launching of Radio Sawa, which will bring Britney Spears to the Middle East, is not likely to enhance our reputation in the region -- quite the contrary."
Kris: that's Han Solo
Nix: That guys always smoking foo's
Nix: He be all "Nigga Vada please!"

Darkstar Studios
----------------------------------------------
Wildcard: Kris is the most beautiful man alive
Kris: aww, thanks Wayne

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:20 am

Where as I don't care what other contries think. But yeah DJ that was a neat article I read it as well. Movies rule.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:16 pm

I can tell you first hand, regardless of what some guy thinks about Hollywood, thats not the reason.

Other countries DO hate you because of your politics, I hear people slandering American every day for that exact reason.

I've yet to hear anyone say they disslike America because you're all sexy super-models and burly action heroes.

Postby Sidious » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:23 pm

I miss the days before World War I. Where the US was only involved in our own issues, in our own problems and didnt give a fuck about what the hell was going on outside our borders. I'm a War Monger as much as the next guy, but the main problem is we pattycake to much. If we're gonna take it to Iraq, then fuckin take it. Fuck the UN, we created the UN, we fund the UN and we're the police force of the UN. I'm tired of what some backasswards country like France has to say on the matter. Hey, Frenchie, need I remind you that without us you'd be under the boot of Germany right now. Don't hate us cause we had to save your ass in the 20th century, twice. At least Britan has the balls to say, yeah we're gonna stand by you. Of course, they're sorta like that midget who hangs around the bully and talks shit.
I am the sexual teddy bear

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Kris » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:25 pm

Well, I think they interviewed teens mostly, as people who are more informed (that's so not the word I'm looking for, but my vocab has really dropped since HS...) on the pop culture of America, ie: Britney Spears dresses like a ho, so all American young women must be slutty.

Or; look at all that partner infidelity on TV, all Americans must be unfaithful blah blah....

Darkstar Studios

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:27 pm

America placed itself into the position of world police. Pretty dumb maneuver at the time but now we're stuck in it. A damned if ya do damned if ya don't. I'd like to say we should pull all of our troops out of the other countries. Honest truth is if we did that now we'd be royally screwed cause we'd piss off so many people. This is what happens when you leave the comfortable spot of "neutral".
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby Sidious » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:27 pm

But we must remember one thing about the middle east, their religion plays a big part. Their religion is a part of their school system and government. Their laws are sometimes based on religious reasons. It is one reason why middle east doesn't want us over there, we bring things that are against their religion.

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Kris » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:31 pm

Sidious wrote:I miss the days before World War I. Where the US was only involved in our own issues, in our own problems and didnt give a fuck about what the hell was going on outside our borders.

Actually, we got involved with shit way before WWI.....
War of 1812 for one. We were trying to make all sorts of little treaties and compromises with both the Napolian empire and England.
Civil War: While it was a war fought in our own borders over issues inside of our own country, the south was looking toward foreign aid, and tried to get it. That's sort of backwards to what you're saying though....
We were also in support of the French Revolution in the late 1700s as a war for independence, in reflection of what we ourselves had done, and we also supported freedom for Mexico from Spain for the same reasons.

Some of that's a bit out there...but yeah...there was stuff before WWI, that was the only point I was making ^_^

Darkstar Studios

Postby Kris » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:04 pm

Kris wrote:pop culture of America, ie: Britney Spears dresses like a ho, so all American young women must be slutty.

Haha... and I was right, too!

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/artic ... ews=112974

Well, about Britney, that is....

Darkstar Studios

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:05 pm

Sidious wrote:I miss the days before World War I. Where the US was only involved in our own issues, in our own problems and didnt give a fuck about what the hell was going on outside our borders. I'm a War Monger as much as the next guy, but the main problem is we pattycake to much. If we're gonna take it to Iraq, then fuckin take it. Fuck the UN, we created the UN, we fund the UN and we're the police force of the UN. I'm tired of what some backasswards country like France has to say on the matter. Hey, Frenchie, need I remind you that without us you'd be under the boot of Germany right now. Don't hate us cause we had to save your ass in the 20th century, twice. At least Britan has the balls to say, yeah we're gonna stand by you. Of course, they're sorta like that midget who hangs around the bully and talks shit.

It's statements like that make you so unpopular.

Postby Sidious » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:48 pm

Kris, everything you said was true. But other then the Spanish American war, in between the Civil War and World War I we tried to keep ourselves isolated, for the most part.

As for being popular, eh, fuck it. Never was, never will be. We either need to take over the world, or let them deal with their own issues. Pull out all the aid we give numerous countries and take care of ourselves, like we should. Tired of other countries relying on us for medical and financial aid, but don't want to support us. Bit fucked up

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Kris » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:54 pm

Yeah, but we get stuff in return. We do stuff for them, they like us, they loan us money.
Altough we probably do let ourselves get screwed over sometimes.

Darkstar Studios

Postby Sidious » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:55 pm

Funny thing is, the deficit isnt big if we just cancelled what we owe them with what they owe us. But that would be the smart thing to do...

and yes the numbers on how much we get screwed is staggering

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:02 pm

I'll never understand how a country with so many homeless and so many in need of medical care can justify ignoring their own people and instead giving financial and medical aid to foreign countries.

Postby HaloGray » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:05 pm

See... the thing with this is... America was hated by other countries long before HBO even began... so it's shows are not to blame. We're hated because we stick our noses everywhere and/or religious conflicts.

America:
Early on we expanded across the land, getting into small skirmishes over Mexico and Canada... but then we were done. We were now the strongest force on this side of the globe... but what about the other side?

Look at that island... they're in a fight, we can take them over and then have a say so in the other side of the world!

WAIT! We can't just stomp out a country and make it our colony... we're against that remember?

Oh yeah... HEY! How about we look really great by HELPING the little guy! You know! Since we were once the little guy!

Great! Then we can just stay to "help them get established", while at the same time giving them too many ties to us and our government to ever boot us out once they are up and running!

Perfect! Let's do this!

Well... it didn't take long for these countries to realize they were basicly a colony in disguise and had just fought for independance to be rules by us... so they booted us out regardless of the concequences. In response we didn't help them AT ALL... we had a big ALL OR NOTHING attitude towards them, and the nothing caused bitterness in brand spankin new governments as well as the ones we fought against... and all their allies...

DAMN! Now we're hated by at LEAST 3 countries... we tries this twice at least, and then communism came about and we got the big crusade against anybody who could have a bigger dick then us etc etc etc etc. That's American History 101.

Thank you drive through.

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:13 pm

3 countries? Try like 50.

Postby Kris » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:16 pm

Or like every country except for maybe Australia, Greenland, Iceland, and Antarctica (although, I think that's actually a continent...).
Although, you could say that every continent hates us, including our own....

Darkstar Studios

Postby Sidious » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:20 pm

But then again, no one likes anybody these days do they

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:21 pm

Actually, I think a lot of countries like eachother.

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:29 pm

Nix wrote:I'll never understand how a country with so many homeless and so many in need of medical care can justify ignoring their own people and instead giving financial and medical aid to foreign countries.

No freaking kidding. But its worse than that even. We have vietnam vets living on the streets in their own urine waiting til they starve to death or drink themselves to death. Then we've got crack dealers living in government housing and using food stamps. Our nation has serious issues with who we give "charity" to.
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:34 pm

It could be worse, you could live in a nation that refuses to give glasses or dental care to the poor, but happily provides free Marijuana to anyone in even a moderate amount of pain.

Or you could live in a country where Doctors pay more than $100,000 to go to school, then are not allowed to make more than $250,000/year, HALF of which is taken away for income tax while professional athletes, lawyers and business men can make as much money as they want.

Or you could live a country where you have to pay to have burn-scars or damage from a car accident repaired, but sex changes are free.

Postby HaloGray » Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:08 pm

Best Topic Ever.

Where's JJ when you need him?

Postby HaloGray » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:32 pm

Yeah I caught that today. Glad I can still get the filibuster fix... and hope all the Geo bullshit gets sorted out in a hurry.

Return to Snafu General Discussion