Has it been 2 years already?

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Has it been 2 years already?

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:03 pm

Yup, naturally that means its time for Nintendo to abandon the current system and their customers to build a completely new one that won't be backwards compatible.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/ ... index.html

Postby Lengeta » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:07 pm

GC r0xx0rz, r3cogn1z3!!!!!1111one o

Postby Alex2 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:58 pm

"Backwards compatibility is for wimps!" - Random Former Nintendo Employee
- Alex

The Unifed Earth Alliance - Mecha, Love and Adventure abound!

"The American Taxpayer has always been lied to. It is his birthright."

Postby Aetre » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:05 pm

Meh, it'll probably end up behind schedule, like all their other consoles. That's how they lost the deals with Square, Rare, and others; they couldn't produce on time. It'll probably be ready X-mas 2007, by which time the GC will be old.
An Oblivion's Indigo
sci-fi novel in progress
new chapter every sunday

Postby Slacker-Beta » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:09 pm

:angry: :cussing: :brickwall: :vomit: :snoogins: THATS IT! FUCK NINTENDO! IM GETTING SO SICK OF THARE CRAPPYNES! EVERY TIME YOU THINK THEY MIGHT BEABEL TO PULL THEMSELFS OUT OF THE GUTTER, THEY DO THIS!! Soon as i get my Cam, and a job im getting a
X-Box or a PS2.
"Lets all go for a swim in my pool, and by pool i mean BATHTUB and by swim i mean SEX!"-JFK, CloneHigh.

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:26 pm

Alex wrote:"Backwards compatibility is for wimps!" - Random Former Nintendo Employee

More like the employee they decided to promote.

Postby Hapoppo » Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:44 pm

Well first off we don't know if the next console will be backwards compatible yet, but the thing about the N64 and Cube was that the N64 was cart-based, so adding an extra cart slot woulda costed a hella lotta money. With the next console, chances are it's going to be run off of DVDs just like its older brother, so I doubt they'd have complications with backwards compatibility, unless I just didn't read that article and it stated OFFICIALLY that the next console will have no backwards compatibility. Second, the new president of Nintendo, Iwata, so far has proven to be far more aggressive. He's already planning on getting up the Nintendo variants of the Greatest Hits titles, and he's getting pretty damned competitive. I'm thinking that if he continues down the path he's taken, we're gonna see a different Nintendostarting this year. And third, if you're not getting the next Nintendo console, then for God's sake, don't get an X-Box. They're doing the exact damn same thing, only with shittier titles.

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:37 pm

Umm Tri what the hell are you talking about? Umm I pray to god that the SECOND a new Nintendo is released they're working on the next one. I mean consoles don't just get built in a week. PS2 announced the PS3 a YEAR after the PS2 was out. and it's supposabely coming out NEXT year. Nintendo ALWAYS has at LEAST a 5 year life cycle. Nintendo didn't lose Square and Rare because they're slow... good god no they SOLD Rare on PURPOSE Rare didnt' say "hey they're slow lets leave." Square left because of Sony's masive amount of money and CD based console. Square is actually back now cough Final Fantasy Chronicles cough. But yeah holy hell Nintendo is making another system (In two to three YEARS) fuck man they're the devil. Oh and what hapoppo said X-box games are shitty. At least get a PS2 over X-box cuz man...
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:40 pm

I'm just plain through with consoles, period.

Some day I'll get another gameboy to replace the one I lost in the boating accident, but thats it.

Postby Smaug » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:05 am

welp, ill get it. cuz if it comes out in 2005... ILL BE IN COLLEGE!!! WOOO... that seems sooo far away now.

Postby nwzinc » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:16 am

"When we withdraw from the home game console, that's when we withdraw from the video game business," Itawa said.

I'm just glad that they're making another system. They have too many good characters that shouldn't be allowed to disappear.

Postby Shadow The Rat » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:24 am

umm, isn't the PS2 the ONLY backwards compatible system? The only thing the Gamecube has is the same VCR input jacks as the N64 and SNES.

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:41 am

Nix I know your an all PC gamer (can't blame you with your connections.) but man your missing out on some GREAT games by turning your back on consoles... although I guess you always have Scott. Actually Gameboy has been backwards compatible for 3 systems straight and a lot more if you cound gameboy pocket, Super Gameboy, Gameboy SP, and the Gamecube add on. The ONLY reason that PS2 is the only backwards compatible system is it's the only that had an older system that used the same format. Like Hapoppo said it would be dumb to add a N64 cart reader on the Cube it would be expensive and worthless. Besides if you have N64 games to play chances are you already have a damned N64. Besides Nintendo has the ultimate plan for backwards compatibility. There is a reason that the discs are so damn small besides the quicker load time and harder to copy benifits... cough gameboy cough. Yeah I'm not even kidding. a future version of gameboy will play cube games how fuckin cool is that? Of course by future it could easily be 6 years away but they're planning on it. Take that Sega Nomad.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby BlackMage » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:51 am

oh well i wonder what nintendo is going to came up to...
"Shit Happens... Especially when there's LAG!"

Postby Lengeta » Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:01 am

Nintendo is an ass for making a new system?? WTF are you guys talking about. This is a technology market, new systems it part of the game, IT CAN'T BE HELPED. Nindendo isn't the only system working on new consels, EVERYONE is doing it, it HAS to be done, unless they wanna end up like Sega. Computers are the same, they just do other stuff besides games (which is a HUGE plus). You still have to get a new computer every so often, or at least update it. It might be less expensive, I don't know, but it is STILL DONE.

Postby zepherin » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:15 am

Sony might as well tatoo a playstation logo on my ass and nintendo can put one on my other cheak. Xbox has got one bridgeing my asshole, it's just that sad, if they charged 500 dollars for a system I'd pay it, if they charged 1000, I'd rob a bank then buy it. I'm just that sad.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Postby Hapoppo » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:18 am

Dave, you pose an interesting theory with the whole Game Boy Game Cube backwards compatibility thing. If that's the case, Nintendo can bend me over and fuck me with as many new consoles as they want to, a Game Boy that will some day play Game Cube games will become a Game Boy no one can live without. What's even more ingenius is if even the new Game Boy-Cube games would still play on the 'Cube, so if you want to play Game Boy-Cube games on your TV you can just dust off the ol' Cube or grab the Cube 3 and fire those babies up. Damn, now you've got me dreaming here.

Oh yeah, the FIRST console to ever be backwards-compatible was the Atari 7200, which could play 2600 games. The Genesis 1 was also semi-backwards compatible with the Master System, if you count the adapter.

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:27 pm

Nix I know your an all PC gamer (can't blame you with your connections.) but man your missing out on some GREAT games by turning your back on consoles...

Seriously Dave, there are so many games out for PC I litterally don't have time to play them all. I'm not worried about missing out on console games at all.

There is a reason that the discs are so damn small besides the quicker load time and harder to copy benifits...

Just thought I'd quickly mention here that contrary to popular belief, mini-CDs are just as easy to copy as regular ones. In fact, they're actually better because they're cheaper.

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:38 pm

mini DVDs are harder to find, and Nintendo writes theirs backwards. Not like it matters though. I know for a fact people are already pirating Nintendo games.
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:06 pm

'Word'.

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:39 pm

Some dude in one of my classes showed me a picture of his computer (yes he had a waller picture). He had his GC and X box split wide open and all interconnected with his computer. He offered to mod my gamecube (Said no since all it would do would be to let me play japanese games), but he claimed he played copied GC and X box. Was pretty cool.

I tried to mod my Ps2 once...it basically blew up. So I took it back. Idiots at Wal-Mart let me trade it out.

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:45 pm

Yeah Walmart is awesome with their "No hassle" returns policy. Honestly though, if I broke something that expensive and tried to return it and they said no, I would never shop there again. So I guess their policy probably makes them a lot more in repeat business than it loses them to fraud.

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:03 pm

Yeah...I hope K-Mart stays around since I've heard directly from some of the higher people in Wal-Mart that if when K-Mart ever dies they're gonna stop with the easy returns.

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:10 pm

I doubt it Target and other super stores are the new competition for Wal-Mart.

Nix I totally understand with the having so many PC games not wanting/needing other systems. Honestly I'm the same was with JUST the Dreamcast. I have SO MANY games I haven't even had time to play yet it's sick. That's what happens when you can pick up a game for under 5 bucks... Then with the Cube and PS2 I'm just adding insult to injury with how many games I could get and want. Then X-box took up around 10 hours of my life and probably won't be played again until Panzor Dragon drops to under 30. Worst 200 dollars ever... Well maybe not when the Rare games come around and I find Gunvalkarie. I'm also considering Crazy Taxi 3 since it's already 20 bucks. And House of the Dead 3 even though both games supposably blow... Sega you own me anyways...
Administrator

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:33 pm

Target is no real competition for Wal-Mart. Target is like the middle class to upper class Wal-Mart. There prices aren't as cheap (usually), and when they are as low people still think "Wal-Mart" for low prices. Once K-mart is gone Wal_mart will basically have a monopoly on the stores that sell stuff cheap.

Return to Snafu General Discussion