snafu archive

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

snafu archive

Postby Lengeta » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:16 pm

dave, i just went through some of your archive, AND I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF. i serously dont remember you having such funny stuff., not that it wansnt funny, but god i laughed hard and hard (thats what SHE said)

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:25 pm

Dave the man, alright.

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:35 pm

That's funny cuz I don't remember having funny stuff either... But thanks Layne. By the way tomorrow's comic (Friday) is by FAR the best comic (drawing wise) I've EVER made. With that said I'm NEVER putting that much effort into a comic again. I think of it as my I feel so good at getting out of programing I have to do a good comic comic.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:44 pm

Speaking of art, I was wrong Dave, Scott uses Illustrator to draw most stuff.

Postby Lengeta » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:00 pm

no dave, im not kidding. go back though your archive, start at the start, and read to where the art changes. there isnt tooooo much to read, and youll laugh your ass off, im not even kidding. I serously don't remember some of that stuff being as funny as it is.

Postby Wildcard » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:06 pm

Ah illustrator... *looks at his totally legal copy of Illustrator that he actually paid for* ... *Blows the dust away* ........meh *puts it back*
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:43 pm

Illustrator... never even SEEN Illustrator before. Holy crap though it must be AMAZING if it can do VG Cats stuff... I'm jealous.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Alex2 » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:42 pm

*whispers to Dave* It's like Photoshop's Pen tool on crack and steroids. :snoogins:
- Alex

The Unifed Earth Alliance - Mecha, Love and Adventure abound!

"The American Taxpayer has always been lied to. It is his birthright."

Postby Wildcard » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:45 pm

It also has gradient meshes, advanced text wrapping stuffage, and symbol editing features. Awesome program for making seamless backgrounds.

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:30 pm

Why isn't this stuff just on Photoshop?
Administrator

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:42 pm

Because this way Adobe charges you for two programs.

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:13 am

Or it could be because onces a vector program and one's a raster program.

Photoshop: Works off of pixels. Everything it does works on the basis of a square of "light" next to another square. So yeah...

Illustrator: Works with mathmatical coordinated and lines...hence its a vector pogram (like flash cept no animation). Best thing about vector imaging versus rasterized? Since its all mathmatical you can blow these puppies up til they'd cover the side of a building and they'd lose NO resolution. Where as you can only enlarge raster images so far before they become unrecognizable. Most companies design their logos and ads with programs like Illustrator so that size is no issue.

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:17 am

I understand that, but they could have easily merged it into one program and given you the option of creating an image using either method, granted it would increase the program size substantially.

It would make more sense to me if Adobe packaged them together like Microsoft does the Office Suite.

Then again, some people (strange folks) may only want one, and therefore not like having to pay for the extra cost.

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:28 am

Honestly unless you're a logo designing graphic designer...there's no reason to have Adobe. That or you really really like it. Last time I asked/read the FAQ Scott was just using Illsutrator for a gateway from Adobe Streamline to Macromedia Flash (you can C&P most things in flash or illustrator to the opposite program). THere's not alot to do with it and so for most it'd be alot of wasted money. Plus Photoshop has some of the more useful options that Illustrator has (like I believe you can use paths in photoshop just like the pen tool in PS?). So yeah...most people would bitch about the extra money. Plus it forces the programs to stretch into different directions and push whats new in the vector/raster world.

But I do have to agree...it wouldn't be too ahrd to package em together like image ready and PS are packaged right now. Just have an illustrator icon so you can move back and forth between each program. I'd probably use it more if I didn't have to export to psd and then open it.

Postby the unknown comic » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:32 am

I rather enjoy using both Photoshop and Illustrator.
It is better to be silent and thought a
fool, than to open your mouth and
remove all doubt.

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:45 am

Never touched Illistrator but now I think I should... after flash and after Maya. But Photoshop has the pen with the vectors but once you decide to "stroke" the pen lines it's a normal photoshop thing and can't be changed as easily. you can always shrink and enlarge of course but as Wayne says you lose stuff enlarging. Meh it seems to work alright for me as of now. But man Scott's stuff is SOOOOoooo good and if that's the next step.... sigh... man... another program... gah.
Administrator

Postby Lengeta » Fri Jan 24, 2003 3:47 am

So far, Photoshop hasn't failed me, because I only shrink my scans.

Now, some questions:
Can you scan a black and white (line art) picture into Illistrator nicly?
Can you do alot of the same things in Illistrator you can do in Photoshop with layers and the shading?
And lastly, if I hade some drawing, how/where do I go (say I take the image on a floppy) to get it printed out into a poster??

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:09 am

len_geta wrote:1.) Can you scan a black and white (line art) picture into Illistrator nicly?
2.) Can you do alot of the same things in Illistrator you can do in Photoshop with layers and the shading?
3.) And lastly, if I hade some drawing, how/where do I go (say I take the image on a floppy) to get it printed out into a poster??

1.) You can't scan into Illustrator. The best you could do was to scan in photoshop, save as a jpeg or tif and then import to Illustrator and trace it. You could also use Adobe Streamline to turn an inked image into vectors, and export to Illustrator (Which is what Scott does from the way he's explained it. Thats pretty much all he told me he used Illustrator for). Illustrator suck suck SUCKS at working with rasterized images. Don't ever do it.

2.) You can do layers but shading works way differently. Instead of using a brush you shade....you usually use gradient and gradients meshs (basically it creates a custom grid of points which gradiate out). FOr an example of a gradient mesh: http://www.tcs.snafu-comics.com/art/artpenguin.php Look at the penguin. He's basically a giant set of gradient meshs.

3.) Any image that will fit on a floppy will not be high enough resolution for a good poster. Most high quality printing is done ~300 dpi on the computer. I opened photoshop and made a 15"x22" document (which is the standard size for the smaller anime posters) at 300 dpi and drew a single line and it was at least 7+ megs of information. You add color in there and etc...you're talking a CD...now a disk. As for who can print it? Well any printing place with a large document printer. I've seen em at certain Office Depots, Kinkos, and Copy Max (The cheapest places to go if you want one poster). Go in and make sure they have equipment good enough to handle/print a document that size. Oh and make sure you process it in photoshop as CMYK and NOT RGB before taking it. You may wanna save as a .tif file (un flattened) since thats way more of a printing standard for pictures than jpeg or gif.

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:32 pm

You can upload some pretty huge images to Cafe Press and turn them into posters I think, granted it would cost you like $14.99 USD to buy one.

Postby Can O Ninja Repellant » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:39 pm

forget the archives, i like the newest one.

and that phrase at the end? consider it stolen. :snoogins:
It's like sunscreen for Ninjas

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:46 pm

Cafe Press...ugh a small fortune for a product you can't tell much about til you buy. Damn.

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:08 pm

Sad but true.

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:02 pm

Ethran hooray for me steeling your name (with permsion) and you stealing my phrase (now with my permision) Hoo ha this worked out perfectly. But I'm sad to say now that I've FINALLY finished my two part Ninja repellant comic I promised you WAY back in the day I'm through with em for good. Hope you liked em. Wayne your graphic knowledge never ceases to astound me. I want to be in your major so damn bad.
Administrator

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:31 pm

Half of graphic design is knowing what you're doing. The other half is being able to talk about it.

Postby HaloGray » Fri Jan 24, 2003 5:37 pm

I totally believe that.

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion