Chicago Weather

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Chicago Weather

Postby HaloGray » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:38 am

So today it's
-1 degrees outside... -22 with windchill.

Last Week?
We had a day that was 45 degrees or so...

I love Chicago weather... yeah... that's it... LOVE IT! Where else but the midwest (and especially Chicago due to the lake) can you get all 4 seasons at once?

It needs to stay COLD or stay WARM... I can't take this bouncing around shit. The news this morning was funny though...
"Cars everywhere have been stalling because people with old beaters refuse to warm up their cars before leaving." It was almost like they called out to me... "This means you HALO.. yeah you! The guy with the old POS Honda. Warm that fucker up or you're ass is stuck on the expressway this morning!"

So yeah... I'm having a fun winter, how about the rest of yas?

PS. If you're from California or Florida... or any sunshine state... don't even post, bragging about warm sunlight will result in instant death.

Postby Sidious » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:40 am

I miss my 75 degree weather I'd be getting in So Cal right now. But sadly I'm in DC where it is currently 13 fuckin degrees, 13!!!!!! AND GETTING COLDER!!!!!!! I think Dennis Leary said it best when he said, "EXPLAIN THIS TO ME GOD EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!!!!"
I am the sexual teddy bear

The Hardcore Empire

Postby HaloGray » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:44 am

I'm in the negatives dammit!

Of course... we have sad souls of Canada on this board so I'm sure when they get this thread they're going to make me look like a pussy.

"WE HAD TO WALK TO WORK AND CLASS 6 TIMES IN ONE DAY! THEY WERE 20 MILES APART! 6 FEET OF SNOW! UPHILL BOTH WAYS!" etc etc etc etc.

Yeah... I'd take colder weather then this right now so long as it promised to stay regular... this jumping around shit sucks... I've got so many jackets in my car at one time ready to go for anything.

Re: Chicago Weather

Postby Kris » Thu Jan 23, 2003 10:10 am

Halo wrote:I love Chicago weather... yeah... that's it... LOVE IT! Where else but the midwest (and especially Chicago due to the lake) can you get all 4 seasons at once?

Texas.
So I feel your pain....sort of....
Except I don't think it's gotten much lower than 30 or 40...40s today I think, but next week it's supposed to go back up to the 50-60 range....
In Texas it can snow one day, and two days later be 60 somethin degrees outside.
It actually hasn't gotten exceptionally cold yet, it's just been really windy..... I expect colder temperatures by the end of Jan or Feb....
Kris: that's Han Solo
Nix: That guys always smoking foo's
Nix: He be all "Nigga Vada please!"

Darkstar Studios
----------------------------------------------
Wildcard: Kris is the most beautiful man alive
Kris: aww, thanks Wayne

Postby Wildcard » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:01 am

I guess Hell must be frozen over cause its snowing in the lower part of South Carolina right now. I expect lots of accidents.
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby HaloGray » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:26 am

That's sort of a funny thing. Chicago is a huge city but aside for the first snow of the year... there are not too many accidents.

So far no snow at all today, it's just so cold my nuts are frozen to my legs.

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:41 pm

-27C here last night, I don't know what it would be with windchill, I just remember checking the thermometer before bed.

It was -18C at 1:00PM, again, I don't know what it was with windchill.

I wonder what the temperature is today?

Postby Aetre » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:57 pm

I'm also in DC, and yes, it's still fuggin' freezing.

To the Texas people out there, I know what that's like, too; you only get snow once every couple of years, but the second there's a light dusting on the ground, there are multi-car pileups on the freeway, because nobody knows how to deal with the snow down there. Now, Chicago, they know how to deal with snow. And of course you know how in Canada.

Here in DC, we have (I'd say) a 3-inch limit before it starts to get ugly and schools / universities close down for the day.

They say it'll warm up next week; I'm wondering if that's true.
An Oblivion's Indigo
sci-fi novel in progress
new chapter every sunday

Postby Sidious » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:04 pm

Aetre-Who you trying to fool? If there is one sprinkle of rain everyone here loses all thought of how to drive a car and believe the world is comin to an end. Bunch of the sky is fallin muddafackos around here I tell you. :brickwall:
I am the sexual teddy bear

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:11 pm

Actually, Aetre, most Canadians don't seem to know how to handle snow.

Every year, on the first day where it snows there are Ambulances racing along the road all day, and Police cars everywhere. For some reason people never remember that snow is slippery.

Any day where the roads have enough snow or ice to be slick, I usually see at least 1 accident if not more whenever I'm out driving.

Postby Shadow The Rat » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:44 pm

*is busy chiseling the ice from his legs*

You may have the windchill factor, but in PA, "Jesus christ and all the saints it fucking cold!!" is what you get on a sunny day.

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:01 pm

Halo your right the Canadian did make you look like a pussy. Although he does that on a daily basis in every thread so I guess your used to it ;) Anyhow Yeah it's actually getting rather warm here but I still wear my beanie all day everyday cuz I don't have to comb my hair and yeah... I'm that fuckin lazy... oh dear...
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:05 pm

Even I'm getting sick of this cold. I LOVE the cold, but when you take your dog for a walk around the block, come back and your ears are dark red and your face is wind-burned, thats not good.

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:05 pm

I would LOVE to know what temperature it is where Edler is. Probably like -30C before windchill.

Postby Aetre » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:00 pm

Sid-I know what you mean in freezing rain or sleet; I was just talking snow, y'know, like we've been getting a lot of this winter. The only ones who completely lose the ability to drive are the Baltimorons coming down from Rt. 29.

I'm surprised to hear about Canada; My relatives in Milwaukee seem to handle stuff just fine there, and that's no hotpad either.
An Oblivion's Indigo
sci-fi novel in progress
new chapter every sunday

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:20 pm

The problem is advertising and stupid people.

People in Canada love buying big fancy trucks or SUVs that they see in commercials racing across deserts or frozen tundra because for some reason they actually believe that the vehicle can do that stuff.

The end result is, a bunch of intelligent people driving slowly on the icey roads while some fucking idiot in a truck or SUV goes weaving in and out of traffic at crazy speeds thinking "I wish all these people would get out of my way, I can drive as fast as I want on slippery roads because I have four-wheel drive and anti-lock brakes!". That same individual is always the one who ends up losing control of their vehicle and causing a 5 car accident. In the case of highway driving, replace 5 car with 30 car, seriously.

The other problem are fucking morons in their little shit-box Civics, Metros, 323's etc. Basically these tend to be teenage-20-somethings drivers who aren't very bright and don't have much experience driving in the winter. Because of that, they think they can drive 60KM/h on a road where everyone else is doing 30KM/h because of the ice. Again, the result is they end up crashing into other people or spinning out in the middle of an intersection. I hate to generalize, but it's true, people who drive small cars usually do so because they are poor, inexperienced young drivers.

The saving grace about shitboxes, is that they only end up killing their own drivers since they lack the power and weight of larger vehicles like SUV's, Vans, Trucks or large cars which end up crushing everything they run into.

Postby Kris » Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:20 pm

Aetre wrote:Here in DC, we have (I'd say) a 3-inch limit before it starts to get ugly and schools / universities close down for the day.

They say it'll warm up next week; I'm wondering if that's true.

My friggin Texan university did ~not~ close when it snowed.... damn them.

Darkstar Studios

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:09 pm

3 inches? lol

Oh man, thats hilarious. Do you guys close when its cloudy out too? Or when its windy enough to muss up your hair?

Postby Lengeta » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:14 pm

lol here to. Utah, best snow on earth. (i forget what circus it is that tried to sue over that saying, best show on earth, best snow on earth, yeah)

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:33 pm

Utah sounds like a strange place; Snow, Mormons and not a bar in sight.

Postby Lengeta » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:54 pm

HEY! There are bars. In fact, my friends would go up to SLC last year to some place I can't remeber the name, but it was a strip bar or whatever. Yeah, and it was 2 for 1 night on like tuesdays, so thats when they went. They even knew most the girls by name and stuff, SO wrong.

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:03 pm

I thought Dave said there were no bars?

Postby Lengeta » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:08 pm

Where ELSE would his mom work??

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:15 pm

He said "No bars", not "No Street Corners". I just connected the dots on my own.

Postby Kris » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:51 pm

len_geta wrote:lol here to. Utah, best snow on earth. (i forget what circus it is that tried to sue over that saying, best show on earth, best snow on earth, yeah)

Barnum and Bailey I think.....

Darkstar Studios

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion