A Good Thing

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

A Good Thing

Postby Sidious » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:44 pm

A good thing I don't have a credit card. To much clothing from various comic sites I'd get. But most of all, this one

http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/prod.aspx?p=pvp.359353
I am the sexual teddy bear

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Kris » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:56 pm

Heheh.... PVP rawks....
Kris: that's Han Solo
Nix: That guys always smoking foo's
Nix: He be all "Nigga Vada please!"

Darkstar Studios
----------------------------------------------
Wildcard: Kris is the most beautiful man alive
Kris: aww, thanks Wayne

Postby Can O Ninja Repellant » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:01 am

i'd be droppin money all over the place on PA complete or whatever it's called, i'd get all the 8 bit fan whatevers, and then buy the rough sketches of the cake TCS comic.

and then i would go to ebay and buy more stupid stuff in an hour than most do in their natural lives.

EDIT: and i'm with dave. PvP's jokes were funnier when they were on the simpsons.
Last edited by Can O Ninja Repellant on Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's like sunscreen for Ninjas

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:27 am

meh not a fan.
WiNg0o wrote:To be honest I thought Dave just existed. In the beginning there was Dave.
Administrator

Postby nwzinc » Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:57 am

I hate 8-bit theater, and basically any other RPG spoof/sprite comic. Just my opinion, though.

Postby ScytheBoy » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:08 am

Fun fact.. Cafepress now has Panties to go with the thongs.
This fun fact has been brought to you by the letter "P".

Postby Sidious » Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:30 am

Just waitin for awhile till I make merchandise. I enjoy PvP, I won't lie. But basically I love that whole I spent my reward on Ale and Whores T-shirt, I'd still get it if it wasn't PvP

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Wildcard » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:09 am

8-bit Theater = I can't talk about it thats how much I dislike it. I find when I discuss my dislike for 8bt that alot of people think badly of me so I decided a long time ago to leave it at the fact I dont like it.
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:37 pm

If DP ever gets into the whole cafepress thing, I am SO buying my g/f custom Nix panties.

That would be sweet.

Postby Wildcard » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:45 pm

"Nix was Here" and "Property of Nix" panties. I like it.

I used to have a "Contents under extreme pressure" boxers that also had a picture of a penguin with a hard hat.

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:46 pm

Actually I was just thinking of a picture or something, but I like those ideas better.

My lifes ambition is now to have hordes of girls wearing panties declaring I was there, and that they are my property.

That would be smooth.

Postby Wildcard » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:57 pm

I'd sell "Wayne was here" panties but knowing my luck they'd only get bought by transexuals.

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:09 pm

I'd buy some.

Postby Sidious » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:23 pm

So I guess you were right Wayne

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Wildcard » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:26 pm

lol yeah just what I need...Nix's girlfriend showing up at my door with a shotgun "You're wayne?!? *shoot*"

Postby Sidious » Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:28 pm

Maybe I'll make some boxers that say...Your Mom Was Here :snoogins:

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Hapoppo » Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:30 pm

I'll buy some DP panties, then go to a car wash in nothing but and go through the car wash without a car. Then everyone'll be like, "Yeah, man, that guy's going through a car wash in panties! He's so cool!" and it'll start a new trend. And just think, Nix, I'll have put you on the map as being the official panties of the retard who went through a car wash in panties in below zero temperature. Doesn't that make you feel special.

Postby Nix » Thu Jan 23, 2003 11:37 pm

While we're on the topic, DP's store will be open in a few days. Just finishing up some of the products that will be available.

Postby Shadow The Rat » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:32 am

I think most people don't like the fact that Brian Clevinger makes enough money on 8BT to pay his bills, and that he can make a non-retarded sprite comic. Heaven forbid he succeed faster than others in the sdame field. He has made memorable characters out of the FF1 characters, but unfortunately most sprite comics follow this pattern:

http://www.hazardlabs.com/2awrt/archive/2002-08-14.html

The only thing wrong with sprite comics is the writing. In fact, that's really all you need for a good comic. Art means nothing, but it helps. Megatokyo has good art, but the story is failing and MT is losing readers. 8BT has well developed characters and a plot, instead of stupid jokes that either make no sense or were done by other comics years ago.

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:58 am

I have a whole different reason for disliking 8-bit theater. Mainly because I'm a big supporter of copyright laws and Brian is directly breaking them. The only reason Square hasn't stopped him is he's positively effecting the flow of money (or so I would assume). But that doesn't make it right...just makes it "profitable".

Plus in the few times I've seen/talked to Brian in a chat I haven't liked -him-...he's totally rubbed me the wrong way because he knows he's standing on the shoulders of square for his own personal gain and he is in no visible way appreciative to ANYONE for his fame. See I like Mac Hall cause he got to where he is on his own and he still appears to be genuinely appreciative of those who helped him. I know alot of people will disagree with me...but I just would rather not interact with Brian or view any of his creations.

Postby Aetre » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:25 pm

You have the right to your opinion. Of course, that won't stop me from viewing the comic and laughing every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

As to the copyright thing, Brian claims that Square can't touch him because of some 1974 law. That could just be BS, but it's at the bottom of every page of his site.
An Oblivion's Indigo
sci-fi novel in progress
new chapter every sunday

Postby Wildcard » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:40 pm

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
(Funny...it seems webcomics aren't ANYWHERE on that list?)

In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include -

(1)
the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(Boom...commercial Nature. So its already not "Fair Use")

(2)
the nature of the copyrighted work;
(Brian has some slight advantage here...since "sprites" are a newer form of art with less laws then say an oil painting)

(3)
the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(Well seeing as how there is not much to the original ff1 artwork I'd say Brian uses a substantial amount on a daily basis)

(4)
the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
(This is the only one I really can't see...meaning Square could get him fined, and get only what he made off of said copyrighted work. They could not sue him past that for damages).

Now the point of this wasn't to get people to stop reading 8-bit...it was so maybe one day one of you could tell Brian his littlle "Disclaimer" is nothing but an idiotic waste of text. if Square wanted to sue him they would and could. End of story. But they won't cause its a positive benefit to square.

And read all you want. I just don't like the author and most comics reflect alot of the author within the actual work. So my distaste for the author gets caught up in the comics.

Postby Sidious » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:54 pm

I don't like sprite comics, it's just that simple. Most courts would look at a case as so. Did he make money off of copyrighted material? If so, the case more then likely would go to trial and he would lose. He is using images and names of various copyrighted things for his own personal gain, that is against the law.

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Nix » Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:47 pm

Heres a fun fact about Law:

Just because you write something on the bottom of your page, EVEN if you really believe it, doesn't make it so.

If I write "Nix Karcel has the right to engage in fellatio with your attractive sister every time you read this page" chances are that argument MAY not hold up in court, even if I really want it to.

Even large businesses will write 'Policies' on signs and post them, believing that they indemnify them from legal liability for things like injuries, theft or business laws, but that doens't make it so.

Brian Clevinger isn't being 'touched' by Square, because the truth is they don't give a flying fuck, or even know who he is. Do you really think that the CEO of Squaresoft has ever even heard of some kid making sprite comics with FF characters?

Furthermore, do you think the CEO of Square even KNOWS what a sprite is?

Fuck, and people say I'M conceited. At least I don't go around claiming that President Bush can't touch me because I wrote "Ha ha ha, can't touch me, Bushy" on the bottom of my website.

Postby HaloGray » Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:10 pm

I think it's just a precaution... many companies will feel a lot better if they see their name on stuff... If square wasn't often talked about and placed at the bottom of the site they may have considered going after him since he's making money, AND they're getting no mention. The thing is.. the comics are free... I think he'd have A LOT of wiggle room with the fact that he's not making money directly off the comics. There is no charge to read a comic, they are free... people GIVE him money if they feel like. Granted it's obvious they give him money because of the comic... but it's obvious coffee is hot and that didn't matter much did it?

As a side note... wasn't 8bit NOT supposed to take over this thread?
Ah well...

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion