Java

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Postby HaloGray » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:33 pm

Good lord.. sounds like you just got a shitty work more then anything else... I dread the days of being a program director

Postby Sidious » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:36 pm

See, now hearin these horror stories I don't know what is worse. Programming Java, or working a help desk. nix your opinion? :badday:
I am the sexual teddy bear

The Hardcore Empire

Postby Nix » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:12 pm

Programming.

Helpdesk wasn't all that bad as jobs go. Beats the hell out of "Would you like fries with that?".

Postby Wildcard » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:47 pm

Yeah at least the help desk was giving you money. Every job I've ever had so far ahs sucked with direct force.

First job: Tagger for a Dry cleaners. Working by steam machines in a state with a 110 summer heat index sucks. Especially when you have to stand up and deal with urine soaked clothing all day.

Second job: Filer. Yup...I filed thousands of sheets of paper for a "tab" system at the dry cleaners. Most boring job ever. Could put insomniacs asleep.

Third and worst so far: Fed Ex unloader. Its not so bad if you like waking up at 4 in the morning, working so hard you sweat and soak you wallet (which was in a pocket), getting crushed by boxes, getting cut over and over by cardboard, being so tired and sore you can't do anything the rest of the day.

Fourth: Retail at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart likes to save money by understaffing every section. Isn't that fun.

Finally: Retail at Office Depot. Wouldn't be so bad but the cashiers/service desk are all idiots plus truthfully our store is understaffed for the size of the store (Staff is based on money not size).

I'd freaking kill for a good weekend help desk job.
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby Nix » Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:58 pm

Good jobs cut both ways, Wayne. I was expected to work 50 and sometimes even 60 hours a week sometimes, but I stopped getting paid at 37.5. Then again, some weeks I worked like 25 hours and got paid for 37.5.

Likewise, I was on-call 24/7, which meant if one of the companies 3 servers went down it didn't matter if I was at a friends house asleep on the couch at 4AM, I had to get up and go fix it RIGHT AWAY. And I couldn't leave until I was done, or there was no way to fix it without additional personnel/equipment.

That gets old REAL fast. Especially when your boss decides to get you a pager so that your coworkers can reach you anytime, anywhere.

Back when I was working and in school I had many days where I literally got up at like 6AM, went to work for an hour, then went to School until 9PM then went to work until 3AM or 4AM and then went home to do it all again the next day.

All the money in the world can't buy you a good nights sleep, a well-written essay to submit for homework, or the social time you lose with your g/f and friends.

Postby Wildcard » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:43 pm

See thats not what I would call a "Good Job".

A good job needs the following:

Decent Pay
Reasonable and stable hours (Stable being VERY important cause it sucks when you can't plan stuff ahead of time).
Decent benefits
Low physical harm (Like paper cuts are no big deal...but when you're getting bludgeoned by heavy boxes...)
Comfortable sorroundings
and most importantly Steady yet managable flow of work. Meaning you're never pressured nor are you bored.

That to me is a good job.
[22:38] <DJ_Cyni-Cole> you're tell me, a writer, that books are lame?
Jesus fuels with 89 Octane and so do I. Eat it, heritics. -Halo

Postby Aetre » Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:12 pm

Ok. Here's my first job scenario.

K-mart. Cashier. Four bosses, all women, named Kat, Terry, Pat, and Andre. Nine hours a day every weekday of the summer, get paid 6.50 American an hour. Process checks, deal with scammers (5per day average), shoplifters (2 per day average), get 25 cents commission if you sell an extended warranty for a phone. Clean up baby vomit when a 4-month-old spews in your aisle. :vomit: Stop every fifteen minutes to get a manager to fix the broken register. Deal with customers who think a 5-dollar item was supposed to be on sale for 4.75. Get cussed at when you say that sale starts tommorrow. :cussing: When you go on break, you're not on break; you have to grab all the shopping carts in from outside in 90-degree heat and a long-sleeved uniform. That night, go home only to do it again tomorrow. :brickwall:

That. Job. Sucked.

--

As for the programming bit, I know someone who can help, if you still need it. If ya don't, well, more power to ya.

Edit: P.S. These new emoticons ROCK! Kudos to whoever got them, I haven't been paying attention (gone last few days). ^_^
An Oblivion's Indigo
sci-fi novel in progress
new chapter every sunday

Postby Nix » Wed Jan 22, 2003 8:21 pm

Wayne, those jobs are called 'Government Jobs'.

Otherwise you have to pick between:

A: Great pay, great benefits.

B: Great hours, great stability.

You can't have it all, (unless you work for the Government).

Postby zepherin » Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:21 am

I never had to clean anything when I was working retail I was like wow that's a big dog, and then I turn to the manager on duty (well one of them media play had this problem with too many chiefs and not enough engines, like at anytime there was 5 managers) and was like if that dog shits on the floor I'm not cleaning it up same thing if the dog pisses on the books.

Government jobs are good except you have to do everything by the book. I know someone who works at the dmv and if they weren't bound by so many procedures they could wip through the lines a lot faster. Personally jobs security and hours are more important than the pay.
Zeph do you ever tire of being perfect? ~Dave
Zeph is still awesome though. ~Rival
I love you so much right now Zeph. ~Yoshi
I love you Zeph. You and your simple yet humorous topic-breakers. ~Coos
Zeph has left me inspired. ~Mathias
Zeph is so awesome even soulless bits of binary worship him. ~Wizard
Curse YOU ZEPH! CURSE YOU! ~JesusChrist
WE ARE SORRY THAT WE ARE NOT AS PERFECT AS YOU, ZEPH! ~Stufflikehearts
Zepherin for forum queen and writer of the best seller "how to screw your brethen up for dummies". ~ The Mirak

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion