General Chat Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:56 am

I've adapted to using cell phones and good grammar.
Not Space Jesus

Postby Skull-Boy666 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Stuffaluffagus wrote:Ugh, phone Snafu is so annoying.

Today's the first time I tried using it, nothing out of the ordinary yet.
I wish the main site was phone friendly as opposed to just the forum.
I'm in your house, touching your stuff

Postby Rival » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:20 am

So Wimbledon started

I like Wimbledon. Thinking Murray and Williams will win it this year.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Grey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 pm

i'm happy nadal isn't dominating like he did a few years ago. i've never been a fan of his.

my hopes are for murray this year, but i'd love to see hewitt do well. i'm surprised he gets as far as he does at his age, he's tremendously consistent
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Tuor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 pm

I don't like S. Williams, but she'll probably win *big 'ol Shrug*

I just hope Djokovic doesn't win for the men
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Grey » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:42 pm

FEDERER AGAIN

GLORY TO THE SWISS SUPERMAN
Suave Brit

Postby Rival » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:56 am

I don't think Federer will win this year, Wimbledon is his kingdom, but his form this year is a far cry compared to his previous years. He only won one tournament in 2013, a 250. Though granted it was on grass.

I'm thinking the 3 people who can stop Murray winning this year are Djokovic, Tsonga and Federer in that order. Djokovic especially has an incredibly favoring tournament ladder with the only really dangerous opponent in his half being Berdych (I'm not counting Ferrer since he sucks on grass). So he'll play maybe 1 tough match before the final.
Grey wrote:my hopes are for murray this year, but i'd love to see hewitt do well. i'm surprised he gets as far as he does at his age, he's tremendously consistent

It's more that he's phenomenal at the grass court. His knowledge of the surface is incredible. But his age still gets to him. I've watched the Queen's Club tournament 2 weeks ago, and in his first few matches he was incredible. But once he reached the semis he seemed very fatigued and he lost to Čilić, although still putting up a fight. Since this is a Grand Slam and you need to play at least 3 sets in each match, I think he'll be exhausted by the time he reaches round 4.
Tuor wrote:I just hope Djokovic doesn't win for the men

Oh you don't like Djokovic? I find him very sympathetic and consider him very likeable given his past as a kid in warzone Serbia. Comes across nice and loyal to his friends and family in his interviews, too.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Tuor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:21 am

It just gets boring when one person wins everything, I have nothing against him as a person
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Rival » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 am

Tuor wrote: I have nothing against him as a person

Ah cool.
Tuor wrote:It just gets boring when one person wins everything

He is currently the number 1 in the ATP ranking, but "everything" is a bit of a stretch. Just look at the last 4 Grand Slam's we've had. Federer won 2012's Wimbledon, Murray the 2012 US Open, Djokovic won 2013's Australian Open and Nadal the recent French Open. So all 4 Grand Slams titles are currently evenly split among the Big 4 players. That's way more even than in 2010 or 2011. When Nadal and Djokovic were almost peerless, respectively.

Postby Tuor » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:55 am

I don't watch tennis all the time, before watching the French Open this year I hadn't watched a Slam for a while. My everything was slightly hyperbolic, and probably had me remembering 2010/2011 when he was winning more.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Joker-Undead » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:35 am

I want to ask you guys a question. Does anyone besides me think that the Spougebob Squarepants cartoon is both stupid and overrated?
The Bringer of the next Undead-War!!
"Why so Serious?"
The Ultimate Undead-kaijin.

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:09 am

It's one of my favorite cartoons.

Sometimes things are overrated and "mainstream" because they're that good, not because they're bad. As for the stupid scale, it seems a lot less stupid to me than say, Regular Show or Gumball is.
Last edited by Mir@k on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Joker-Undead » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:15 am

Mir@k wrote:It's one of my favorite cartoons.

Sometimes things are overrated and "mainstream" because they're that good, not because they're bad. As for the stupid scale, it seems a lot less stupid to me than say, Regular Show or Gumball is.

I don't like Reqular-Show that much, but I like Gumball, it's one of my favourite cartoons. Iam just saying that I never liked Spougebob, if you like it that's your choice bro.
The Bringer of the next Undead-War!!
"Why so Serious?"
The Ultimate Undead-kaijin.

Postby Eggnog » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:29 am

Spongebob was funny and awesome back in the beginning through around it's debut film. Then it didn't just have the same magic afterwards. Loved the old episodes, not too fond of the new ones.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Huevo
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Whatis6times9 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:03 pm

I think the creator left after the movie's completion and it wasn't the same. And then it just kept going on and on.
All other bears are pretenders to the throne
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:24 pm

simpsons syndrome without the author stagnation
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby The Mad Doctor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:08 pm

It seems to me after the movie of both Simpsons and spongebob, episodes went downhill.
Not Space Jesus

Postby Eggnog » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:22 pm

And I saw both of them in theatres. Even the Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon movie.
Oh the memories...

Hail to the Huevo
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:22 am

Yesterday's Wimbledon was incredible! Federer, Azarenka, Sharapova and Tsonga are all out. Tsonga and Azarenka due to injuries, Federer and Sharapova due to a loss. The Stakhovsky vs Federer match was just phenomenal. Stakhovsky played like freakin' Pete Sampras, and his ATP rank is only number 116!
author stagnation

Simpsons case is a bit more complicated than that. Matt Groening, the original creator, wasn't very heavily involved past season 2. He is mostly a figurehead and had little input in both the best and worst episodes. The best seasons, 3-9, had all kinds of writer shake-ups, seasons 3-4, 5-7, and 8-9 all had pretty different writing teams.

And Al Jean, the guy often blamed for the current stagnation, did some great stuff in the early seasons, then left, and then returned once, according to most people, the decline was already underway. So he can't take the bulk of the responsibility either.
It seems to me after the movie of both Simpsons and spongebob, episodes went downhill.

It's a pretty tired subject, but most people, me included, think Simpsons went downhill way before the movie. And most people, me included, think the seasons immediately following the movie, 20-21, showed some signs of improvement, which sadly proved temporary with seasons 22-24.

Postby Mir@k » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:23 am

Well i don't know the details, but whoever wrote that lady gaga episode should get a really hard dope slap.
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:50 am

With that I agree entirely. That episode had one cringe worthy moment after another.

Postby Rival » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Bartoli and Murray won Wimbledon. I'm happy for both of them, but especially Bartoli since no one expected her to win. Even though she was in the final 6 years ago, and defeated Serena 2 years ago. Great tournament this year, Djokovic vs Del Potro and Lisicki vs Radwańska were fantastic matches.

On a different note, I've watched this video:

And youtube started recommending me holocaust revisionist videos. What the hell!!? Why am I getting holocaust denying videos as recomendations, when I watched a video confirming holocaust. Am I to understand most people viewing the video are neo-Nazis agreeing with Himmler? That's a nasty thought.

Postby WiNg0o » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:22 pm

I absolutely love the first season of Spongebob, when people point and say cartoons are for prepubescent fuck ups I point at that first season.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Eggnog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:31 pm

"Krusty Krab Pizza is the pizza for you and me!"
Still one of my favorite Sponge bob moments.

Hail to the Huevo
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grey » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 pm

Rival wrote:Bartoli and Murray won Wimbledon. I'm happy for both of them, but especially Bartoli since no one expected her to win. Even though she was in the final 6 years ago, and defeated Serena 2 years ago. Great tournament this year, Djokovic vs Del Potro and Lisicki vs Radwańska were fantastic matches.
i was thrilled to see murray win it, but i had to admit that djokovic wasn't on top form

and yes, both of those semi-final matches were fantastic. watchining lisicki come from behind to win it and watching del potro just push djokovic to 5 sets were such gratifying moments in the matches. that mens final especially: all of the last 20 points or so were heart-racing. some of the best tennis i've ever seen.
Suave Brit

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion